Am I being to picky with store bought wood? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 9Likes
  • 3 Post By Catpower
  • 1 Post By Onefreetexan
  • 2 Post By Pineknot_86
  • 1 Post By GeorgeC
  • 1 Post By GeorgeC
  • 1 Post By Pineknot_86

post #1 of 19 Old 11-09-2018, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

View homeby5's Photo Album My Photos
Am I being to picky with store bought wood?

Hey guys,
How picky are ya'll with off the shelf pressure treated lumber. I live in the Keys and I have one local lumber store that stores it's wood uncovered...outside. Anyway, I'm building some shutters and it seems like the 1x6's are horrible. 90% have splits of over 4" on the ends, chunks missing on sides, knot holes all the way through, etc....
I literally have to pick through 100 boards to get 10 that quite frankly are barely acceptable.

My question is, am I being too picky? Should I buy the chewed up boards and split boards because that is a standard for PT lumber. I realize that #2 2x4's are messed up and that's why I buy #1's for framing, and I expect that but again...not PY 1 by's....

Thanks guys
The Following User Says Thank You to homeby5 For This Useful Post:
Toolman50 (11-12-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-09-2018, 05:53 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
If I was building shutters I would go for redwood or cedar PS treated lumber will warp, twist, and bends like crazy when drying, at least it has been in my dealings with it
BigJim, Shop_Rat and mjadams61 like this.

There is no app for experience
post #3 of 19 Old 11-09-2018, 06:02 PM

View kb7kuh's Photo Album My Photos
I'm on the Oregon coast and the lumber here is warped, bent, and a joke. I had to but a planer just to get it usable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 11-09-2018, 06:27 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeby5 View Post
Hey guys,
How picky are ya'll with off the shelf pressure treated lumber. I live in the Keys and I have one local lumber store that stores it's wood uncovered...outside. Anyway, I'm building some shutters and it seems like the 1x6's are horrible. 90% have splits of over 4" on the ends, chunks missing on sides, knot holes all the way through, etc....
I literally have to pick through 100 boards to get 10 that quite frankly are barely acceptable.

My question is, am I being too picky? Should I buy the chewed up boards and split boards because that is a standard for PT lumber. I realize that #2 2x4's are messed up and that's why I buy #1's for framing, and I expect that but again...not PY 1 by's....

Thanks guys
It doesn't sound like you are picky. The wood I get is a lot better than that.
post #5 of 19 Old 11-09-2018, 06:35 PM

View t.carpenter00's Photo Album My Photos
Our wood isn't quite that bad either. But it is very hard to get anything decent.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 19 Old 11-09-2018, 06:57 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Leave town .....

For the amount of work you will put into the shutters drive until you find some decent wood. Wood is cheap compared to your labor. What's the name of the store, not that it matters, just curious?

We have Home Depot, Lowes and Menards and a few local yards, so plenty of choices. I'll go to the local boys where I've been going for 30 years if I can. They are very appreciative of the business. If I get home and find a board that is twisted or curved, no problem returning it. PT should be stored under a roof and not in the sun or it will dry on one side and twist or curve. Take a drive and see what else you can find.....

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 19 Old 11-09-2018, 08:21 PM

View Onefreetexan's Photo Album My Photos
I agree, Our Home Depot has a section of higher quality wood, in several different types, poplar, oak, redwood,, and others. Its not cheap, b it is good quality. For 2 bys, and framing, strictly the local lumber yard,,, higher prices, but much better quality,,
Ya get what ya pay fir.
mjadams61 likes this.
post #8 of 19 Old 11-09-2018, 08:26 PM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
OK, here's the scoop. I was in Lancaster, Pennsylvania this past June. Stopping at a gift shop, I noticed the Amish outdoor furniture was synthetic material, in colors to boot. I asked the store manager about this. She replied that the furniture is much more durable than wood and required no finishing or refinishing. Game, set, and match.
gj13us and intrepid like this.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #9 of 19 Old 11-09-2018, 10:13 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onefreetexan View Post
I agree, Our Home Depot has a section of higher quality wood, in several different types, poplar, oak, redwood,, and others. Its not cheap, b it is good quality. For 2 bys, and framing, strictly the local lumber yard,,, higher prices, but much better quality,,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onefreetexan View Post
Ya get what ya pay fir.

He is writing about pressure treated wood.

George
post #10 of 19 Old 11-09-2018, 10:14 PM

Pressure treated wood is never going to be first quality wood. It is not something out of which I would build shutters.

George
mjadams61 likes this.
post #11 of 19 Old 11-10-2018, 06:22 AM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Youre not being too picky, because youll need good quality lumber for making shutters, but hoping to get PT thats high enough quality is probably unrealistic.
post #12 of 19 Old 11-10-2018, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.
I went with PT because of affordability and the railings around the stairs and porches are painted PT and they've held up real good. But I hear ya and if I have to replace them in a few years I will chalk it up to a lesson learned and build them out of something else.

It's a local hardware store in Key Largo. I feel better that I'm not being to picky. I don't want to be unreasonable and I don't mind cutting the spits off but a lot of my shutters are 48" tall so I buy an 8 footer and make two planks. Not a lot of wiggle room for splits. I could drive 30 miles to HD where they store it inside I guess.....but I'm building them a little at a time (I am shuttering about 3 windows a month) as I buy the amount of wood I can afford every month. It would be a lot of trips.
post #13 of 19 Old 11-10-2018, 03:02 PM

Are you building hurricane shutters or decorative shutters? If I lived in Key Largo I would be building multi-purpose shutters.

George
gj13us likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeC For This Useful Post:
Onefreetexan (11-10-2018)
post #14 of 19 Old 11-10-2018, 03:38 PM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Just a thought- could one use synthetic decking boards? I need to make some shutters next spring. Bought a plastic replacement for one and it has faded, looks yucky. Wife wants the shutter that I call country or barn shutters- two or three vertical boards with spacing and two horizontal boards at the top and bottom.
Catpower likes this.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #15 of 19 Old 11-11-2018, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
Are you building hurricane shutters or decorative shutters? If I lived in Key Largo I would be building multi-purpose shutters.

George
Just decorative. I have hurricane windows.
post #16 of 19 Old 11-12-2018, 01:34 AM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
Nah mate, if something looks bad then don't buy it. I get ya though, I'm also sorta picky when searching for lumber so I end up picking through half the pile before I find one I want. It's a pain sometimes.

-T

It's not bad to dream. But you also have to consider what's realistic. -All Might (Boku no Hero Academia)
post #17 of 19 Old 11-12-2018, 08:07 AM

View holtzdreher's Photo Album My Photos
PT wood is the dregs. Unfit for framing in smaller sizes because the better stuff is too valuable to sell untreated. The larger dimension PT wood needs to be better for structure of decks etc. I would be using a weather resistant wood for shutters. PT is just plain heavy, twisted and warped. and often does not last as long as something like cypress, cedar or other naturally rot resistant wood. Trying to mill out tenons and such just creates a lot of toxic dust. .
post #18 of 19 Old 11-12-2018, 09:22 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Cypress can also work well for a shutter. If your local supplier is not bringing in what you need you will need to search outside the area even if means slower delivery and a delivery charge. Buying Materials thats only 50% usable is very costly. Both Cedar and Cypress are much closer for you. The Redwood is on west coast and is burning. It will be most expensive.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #19 of 19 Old 11-13-2018, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
Cypress can also work well for a shutter. If your local supplier is not bringing in what you need you will need to search outside the area even if means slower delivery and a delivery charge. Buying Materials thats only 50% usable is very costly. Both Cedar and Cypress are much closer for you. The Redwood is on west coast and is burning. It will be most expensive.
They are coming out nice and I am not wasting any wod. I just have to be picky. As I mentioned...price was a factor. The shutters are costing me about $400 with PT wood vs $1200 for cedar. Maybe not a lot for some but it is for me. I am retired and have been building this home out of my pocket for about 4 years and am doing about everything. Money is a factor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode