Air Compressor - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 07-10-2020, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Air Compressor

Is anyone here familiar with this air compressor sold by Harbor Freight:
Fortress Compressor 27 gal
Vertical Shop Air Compressor 200 psi

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-10-2020, 09:30 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
I'm not familiar with that particular one.

HF gets good ratings on their compressors in general, my concern with that one is all of the oilless pumps are loud. I did see in a review that it is quieter, no indication how much.

I had a 33 gallon Craftsman for awhile that would run you out of the garage when it was running...
post #3 of 13 Old 07-10-2020, 10:55 AM

View homestd's Photo Album My Photos
I have the Central Pneumatic 21 gal. (I think). It was $149.00 when I got it about 2 yrs ago. It sees varying light duty but has performed well for me in the shop. It runs the most when I use my air tools working on the car. It's pretty loud and takes about 5 min to pump back up. I know this isn't the one you're looking at but it's been problem free so far, but I drain the water out of the tank every couple of months.

Charlie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 07-10-2020, 01:03 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I bought the inexpensive Harbor Freight 8 gallon oil lube air compressor years ago. It was very loud. I did not use it much during the two years that I owned it, and treated it with TLC. I always decompressed and drained the tank after each use. One night it decided to drain its oil all over the garage floor, making a huge mess. I gave it away to someone who needed it and could fix it (not to a friend!). I swore that I would never buy another Harbor Freight air compressor.

I have observed that Harbor Freight air compressors have a small number of different motor/compressor types. They use the same motor/compressor attached to many different size tanks in vertical and horizontal configurations. Find the motor/compressor type for the model you are interested in, then look for reviews and experiences for the many tank configurations that use the same motor/compressor type.

I found an Ingersoll-Rand air compressor on closeout and never looked back.
post #5 of 13 Old 07-10-2020, 06:13 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
since your setting up in a one slot rental, i'd google quiet compressors. most oil-free compressors will run you out of a 10000 sqft warehouse. they've gotten better but still loudish
post #6 of 13 Old 07-10-2020, 07:07 PM

View Echo415's Photo Album My Photos
What are your intentions with buying the air compressor(stationary/mobile)? What type of tools would you be using with it?
post #7 of 13 Old 07-10-2020, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

It will be more or less stationary.
It will be used mainly for spraying, air nailing and air sanding
It meets all the requirements of CFM for the tools i will be using.
My question is, are you familiar with this particular make and model?

post #8 of 13 Old 07-10-2020, 08:27 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
air sanders are an air hog!

I haven't checked but if memory serves they will require about 10 CFM. OK, this one takes 8 CFM:
https://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Pneum...6XVVQD8YD3GKK8

But I can't find at what pressure, the same way air compressors outputs are rated . DUMB!

This one only needs 4 CFM:
https://www.amazon.com/Ingersoll-Ran.../dp/B01KY4808K

For an air compressor that's quiet, I'd check this one out:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N1VNQ75...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #9 of 13 Old 07-10-2020, 08:43 PM

View Echo415's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
It will be more or less stationary.
It will be used mainly for spraying, air nailing and air sanding
It meets all the requirements of CFM for the tools i will be using.
My question is, are you familiar with this particular make and model?
No, I have no experience with that model but for what you want to use it for...I'd really suggest going at least 10cfm and 60gal or more. You'd constantly be working that compressor you listed to it's limit and it'll burn up pretty quickly. I use a husky 60gal vertical compressor rated at 11.3 CFM and it kicks on far more often than I like...debating on upgrading to an 80gal 24CFM model this fall once I start doing more sandblasting.

There are a few tools where overkill is worth it...air compressors are one of them.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-10-2020, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

It's going to be strictly for a hobby Also note that i own virtually nothing right now. Craigslist is not much of a help and so I will have to buy a lot of new machinery in addition to a generator. I am trying to stay around $500 for an air compressor. I have had shops before and I pretty much know what I need. The compressor may be on all day but not used all day. I no longer sand blast, actually soda blast, when I gave up fossil hunting. Spraying lacquer takes literally minutes. Air sanding will be the biggest 'on line' user of the compressor. With luck, I shouldn't have to do much of that.
i was surprised that the unit had 20 amp service. That will mean a $300 less expensive generator.
I also have other hobbies in addition to woodworking and will be gone 4 months a year so a big compressor is not my priority. I just want to know if that particular model will hold up. I am always a little leery of Harbor freight but some products they have are not bad.

Last edited by Tony B; 07-10-2020 at 10:27 PM.
post #11 of 13 Old 07-10-2020, 10:40 PM

View furnacefighter15's Photo Album My Photos
I did not have that model, but had a little portable job. I had it 10 years and beat the piss out of it, never changed the oil, and it worked flawlessly the whole time I had it. Sold it a month ago, cause I no longer need a portable air compressor.

Id say youll be fine with the HF.

I thought you said your budget was 500. You can get a 60 gallon upright like that Husky for about that money new

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dave H
post #12 of 13 Old 07-10-2020, 10:46 PM

View ToolsOnaWall's Photo Album My Photos
Check out California Air for quiet air compressors. I have a small one for air brushing and a 4.6 gallon one for my garage/shop.

I know how to make sawdust.
post #13 of 13 Old 07-11-2020, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

Air sanders can be air hogs
Most run at around 90 PSI
The cheap sanders, $70 and below, usually draw around 5 to 5.5 CFM.
The higher priced ones, around $90 and up draw about 4 to 4.5 CFM.

Husky, Kobalt and Fortress all fit into my price range. I have owned Husky and Kobalt before. Was just wondering about the new kid on the block.

I dont have unlimited electricity. Only 20 Amps. I have a Honda 2K gen, but that will be too small for the shop.
So buying a bigger compressor for more money just doesnt stop there. The bigger my toys, the bigger generator I will need. I will probably be using 12 to 14A on just 2 floor fans and Led lights.

I just ordered a new Laguna Fusion 2 table Saw and a new Band Saw from them also. Still looking at Craigslist for good used tools but will probably have to buy most of them new.

I am trying to appropriate as much of my budget as possible to actual furniture making type tools and machinery rather than spend it all on ancillary equipment like compressors, generators, lights, fans, etc. Not to mention rent money for the space. I am retired. I am not wealthy. I am just an average guy living on SS and a pension with an expensive hobby.
I am also a vagabond. I love travel. I lived on my boat for 25 years and now live in my RV. In addition to real jobs, I have had commercial wood shops in between and most times concurrent.
My shop will be a hobby not a money maker.

Not just budgeting money, also budgeting electricity. I will probably design an interesting electrical "Control Panel' based on what tool/machines get shut off when what is being used at the time. Might even have to get night vision goggles to run the planer.

Last edited by Tony B; 07-11-2020 at 08:05 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode