air compressor - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 17 Old 07-06-2020, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

View Razorio@aol.com's Photo Album My Photos
air compressor

New guy here again. How many gallons should an air compressor hold for driving brads and nails? I see 6 gal compressors on Amazon that the reviewers say are good for filling tires and other small jobs but not woodworking. Also, can you recommend an air compressor at a reasonable price. My shop is a third of a 2 car garage unless my wifes car is out. so size matters.

Ray
WilliamCoffey likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-06-2020, 01:19 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
For small inside the house I use a small 3 gallon Craftsman compressor. It has done brads in many feet of crown molding and base board. As well as a couple of years keeping a neighbors car mobile because he had a leaky tire. Took him several months to fix.

I do not have a nail gun so have not tried it for that, but it is plenty adequate for pins.

George
post #3 of 17 Old 07-06-2020, 01:32 PM

View Tom-G's Photo Album My Photos
I have a much older version of this Porter Cable compressor and the 16 & 18 gauge nailers that came with it. The compressor is loud but no issue using the nailers with it. I have even done a little bit of finish spraying with a touch-up spray Gun.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-C...2234/203471431
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 07-06-2020, 01:40 PM
Mike

View Pretender's Photo Album My Photos
I have a 2 gallon pancake compressor for working away from the shop.
I runs any nail gun I have. I do have to wait for it to recharge after 3 or 4 nails out of the framer.
Brad and finish nailers are not a problem. It will not run a sander or impact wrench.
Be warned that these small oil less compressors are very loud. That's the main reason I bought a 60 gallon and put it in a closet.
post #5 of 17 Old 07-06-2020, 01:55 PM
Just figuring it out

View Dave Mills's Photo Album My Photos
If you're just talking about brads and nails for woodworking projects and not for framing a house, then a 2-3 gallon California Air Tools compressor is going to be just fine, small, and quiet. If you're trying to build a house, spray paint, or use automotive air tools, that's a different story.
post #6 of 17 Old 07-07-2020, 08:39 AM

View JIMMIEM's Photo Album My Photos
I have a 6 gallon Porter Cable compressor and use it for woodworking nailing: pins, brads, staples, finish nails, and hardwood flooring cleats. No problems....just noisy....weighs 35 pounds. If I were to replace it I would get something smaller, lighter, and quieter for this type of work.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-07-2020, 10:31 AM

View yomanbill's Photo Album My Photos
I can vouch for the California Air being reasonably quiet. My 10 gal model (which is way bigger than needed for nail guns) is quiet enough that you can carry on a conversation standing next to it; annoying but possible. If you plan to use your compressor indoors, I highly recommend a "quiet" one (none are perfectly quiet). Compare the decibel specs.
post #8 of 17 Old 07-07-2020, 12:14 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
i or 2 gal is sufficient for a tank supplying nail guns. IF you find yourself getting more into air tools requiring higher CFM's you will be dissappointed, as it will run (cycle) more often to keep up. since the smaller ones are usually around $100, u can buy one of those now and watch for a (oil type) later for your bigger (20 gal+) one!
post #9 of 17 Old 07-07-2020, 01:06 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
some of those oil-free compressors will get you driven off a construction site with the noise they make. google "small quiet air compressors" and choose the smallest compressor you can get. home depot popped up with 'california air tools' ultra quiet compressors. reviews state they are very quiet and you can converse with them running.

this is $199 1hp, 2 gal ultra quiet

post #10 of 17 Old 07-07-2020, 07:01 PM
woodworking in the garage

View ggosack's Photo Album My Photos
Quiet as can be...

I purchased from lowes their compressor and it works wonderfully in the garage for brad nailers and filling tires. Upside - it's super quiet.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Quie...sor/1001013970
post #11 of 17 Old 07-07-2020, 08:37 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
With brad nailers and staplers, size is usually not an issue. When you need a larger compressor is when you are spraying a finish. it is not the PSI that counts, it's the CFM that counts. For finishing, you need a larger volume of air and sustain it.
Again, just about any of the small compressors will run your brad nail guns. the brad nailers require about 90 or less PSI and virtually not much air volume. Air sanders usually require about 4.5 to 5 CFM at 90 PSI.
NoThankyou and RParker like this.

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B
post #12 of 17 Old 07-07-2020, 10:55 PM

View Nick2727's Photo Album My Photos
I just got my first compressor. looks about 30+ years old. American something I think. steel loud and loud. it was cheap and i was already at the guys house for a router, haha. its a 4 or 5 gallon, when i do upgrade how loud it is will be a priority. its the loudest thing i own!

Nick Johnston
Edmonton, AB, Canada

Last edited by Nick2727; 07-07-2020 at 10:56 PM. Reason: tried being fancy adding a emoji. failed
post #13 of 17 Old 07-07-2020, 11:22 PM
mike44

View kwoodhands's Photo Album My Photos
I have a $39.00 HF 1 gallon ( I think ,maybe 2 gallons) compressor in the garage for filling tires , blow gun and even used it to run a framing nail gun. Had to go slow with the framing nail gun because of the small volume of air in the tank. Comes in handy, better than running 100'-0 of hose from the shop where I have a 60 gallon compressor.
mike
post #14 of 17 Old 07-08-2020, 11:02 AM

View GCTony's Photo Album My Photos
Pretty much any compressor with a tank will work a brad nailer. We use a Senco 1/2 hp-1 gal on the job when we only need to drive a brad nailer or stapler. Super light and quiet but the only thing it's really good for is a brad nailer and filling small tires since "recovery" time is really slow.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-09-2020, 07:39 PM

View redeared's Photo Album My Photos
My brad 16ga nailer says 120 psi max, which is fine with my pancake Rigid compressor.
post #16 of 17 Old 07-09-2020, 09:26 PM

View jdmm's Photo Album My Photos
I have a 6 gallon pancake compressor that will do brads all day long for what it’s worth. It is a little bit noisy as others have noted but doesn’t hardly come on unless I’m doing a whole lot of brads. For a lot of spray or a big boy nail gun I would definitely want something bigger though.

-John
post #17 of 17 Old 07-10-2020, 11:09 AM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
Requirement for air tools. Tank size is not important as long as the compressor meets the required cfm and psi for the tool in question. Hose size also matters... use 3/8" up to 100 feet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AirToolCompatibilityChart.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	269.6 KB
ID:	392157  

Gary

Woodworking is like wetting myself....Only I know that warm feeling!

Last edited by gmercer_48083; 07-10-2020 at 11:14 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode