affixing metal bed frame to wood headboard posts - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By cassidy

post #1 of 7 Old 10-26-2019, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

View cassidy's Photo Album My Photos
affixing metal bed frame to wood headboard posts

I am looking for hardware to affix a standard angle-iron queen bedframe to the two wooden posts (3" square) on the white oak bed headboard I have just finished fabricating. The iron bed frame has standard pre-drilled holes for this purpose. I would rather not use hex head screws because over the decades with multiple dis- and re-assemblies, the threads in the wood will wear out. I would rather not bolt the headboard all way through since this seems inelegant. One option is to drill a hole part way into the inside side of each wooden post at the level of the iron frame pre-drilled holes for inserting a metal dowel with a tapped screw hole in it, and drill another hole in the post from the front of the post at the same level, all to insert a bolt to affix the metal frame. Any ideas about hardware available for this purpose, or other ways to affix the headboard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-26-2019, 05:14 PM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
Rockler has several styles of rail/headboard attachments.

Rich
In furniture 1/32" is a Grand Canyon
post #3 of 7 Old 10-26-2019, 05:32 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
When I did this I just used through bolts.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-26-2019, 05:52 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Through-bolts in the headboard are literally invisible unless you lift the mattress.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #5 of 7 Old 10-26-2019, 08:19 PM

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
Have you looked for threaded wood inserts? Something like this.

https://www.rockler.com/hex-drive-th...ts-choose-size

Once they are installed you can use a regular bolt to attach the side rails.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-26-2019, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

View cassidy's Photo Album My Photos
Thank you all! I think, as some of you have suggested, I will use a through bolt with the lock-nut countersunk 1/2" on the backside using a larger diameter drill hole. As a few of you said, this will not show on the back of the headboard.
FrankC likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-27-2019, 02:21 PM

View 13579's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidy View Post
I am looking for hardware to affix a standard angle-iron queen bedframe to the two wooden posts (3" square) on the white oak bed headboard I have just finished fabricating. The iron bed frame has standard pre-drilled holes for this purpose. I would rather not use hex head screws because over the decades with multiple dis- and re-assemblies, the threads in the wood will wear out. I would rather not bolt the headboard all way through since this seems inelegant. One option is to drill a hole part way into the inside side of each wooden post at the level of the iron frame pre-drilled holes for inserting a metal dowel with a tapped screw hole in it, and drill another hole in the post from the front of the post at the same level, all to insert a bolt to affix the metal frame. Any ideas about hardware available for this purpose, or other ways to affix the headboard.
They make slot hangers for such. Tom

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode