Advice on a Table Saw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 04-22-2011, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
The Young Blood

View Locodcdude's Photo Album My Photos
Post Advice on a Table Saw

My current table saw is just a 10 amp benchtop table saw I got about 3 years ago for like $100. It runs nice and I keep it so it cuts accurately and cleanly. I've done a few tune up's here and there to adjust the blade and the bevel settings. I noticed the bevel lock knob has a bolt in it that threads onto the bevel shaft to help lock it at the angle you've selected. The bolt seems to keep sliding out of the little handle and gets jammed so the blade doesn't bevel easily. I'm fixing this with some epoxy, but just for future reference,

I'll be looking for a nicer contractor's saw, a nice upgrade from this. Once this one goes to the point where It's not worth fixing anymore, I plan on upgrading. Anyone have any suggestions on what saw I should get for just a serious hobby shop?
Nothing incredibly expensive, not even necessarily a new one, just a brand name and horsepower would be a nice start for me.

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-22-2011, 01:37 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locodcdude View Post
Anyone have any suggestions on what saw I should get for just a serious hobby shop?
Nothing incredibly expensive, not even necessarily a new one, just a brand name and horsepower would be a nice start for me.

Thanks guys!
You could likely find a good deal on a Delta contractors saw with a 1.5 HP motor. You might even luck out and get one with an aftermarket "T" square type fence.

post #3 of 12 Old 04-22-2011, 01:56 PM
Hobbyist wood-butcher

View thegrgyle's Photo Album My Photos
I found my Craftsman contractor saw on clearance about 10 years ago, I think I paid like $400 for it. It has a 1.5 hp (maybe 1.75hp) motor, and seems to do the trick, once I put it on its own dedicated circuit. It has its little quirks, and it has taken me a few years to get it tuned up. I did find a beisemeyer fence on CL a few years after that, but have yet to install it, since I work out of a 2 car garage that I like to park 2 cars in every winter. I have seen my exact saw sell on CL and ebay for around $200-250, and I know that one gentleman on this site had the same saw and sold it for $125.

I guess what I am trying to tell you, is now that you know you will eventually be in the market for a new (to you) saw, keep your eyes open at the various stores, and on CL and if you come across a good deal, act on it.

Another place you might be able to find a gem is in local auctions. After I bought some of my other tools, I attended a few auctions and estate sales, and some of the tools went cheap.

Hope this helps,

Fabian

Fabian

I used to be fairly indecisive, but now....... I'm not so sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-22-2011, 02:39 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
+1 on the Delta Contractor's saw. I bought one new 10 years ago with a Biesemeyer fence, have cut thousands of feet of lumber and aside from replacing the belt with a link belt and getting the blade sharpened/replaced every so often, I've not had a single issue.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #5 of 12 Old 04-22-2011, 02:53 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Anything that runs on a standard 110v circuit will be less than a true 2hp, so unless you have 220v, < 2hp is your hp range.

The vast majority of the major full size (27" deep) cast iron or granite saws with a belt drive induction motor can be tuned up and fitted with a good blade to function well. They can also be upgraded as needed with a better fence, cast iron wings, new motor, pulleys, belts, miter gauge, etc....many of these things are interchangeable. Keep your eyes peeled for a full sized used Delta, Jet, Grizzly, GI, PM, Jet, Bridgewood, Woodtek, Rockwell, Craftsman, Hitachi, Steel City, Shop Fox, or Ridgid contractor saw or hybrid. On a standard contractor saw the motor will be hanging off the back, which at least indicates that it is a belt drive induction motor. The same belt drive arrangement will be on a hybrid saw or modern contractor saw but will be tucked inside the enclosure. These things run anywhere from around $100-$400 or even $500 for a real nice example....pay accordingly. A nice fence like a Biesemeyer, cast iron wings, mobile base, condition, etc., should all effect the price. Alignment and blade selection are the key to how well any of them cut.

If you've got 220v, look for a used 3hp cabinet saw like a Grizzly 1023, PM66, Delta Unisaw, General 350, GI 50-260, Shop Fox, etc.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-22-2011, 03:08 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotscott View Post
Anything that runs on a standard 110v circuit will be less than a true 2hp, so unless you have 220v, < 2hp is your hp range.

If you've got 220v, look for a used 3hp cabinet saw like a Grizzly 1023, PM66, Delta Unisaw, General 350, GI 50-260, Shop Fox, etc.
Just a note...if you have 220V, some of the contractor, or hybrid types have motors that can be wired 110V or 220V. But, if you have 220V, I would opt for the saws with larger motors.

post #7 of 12 Old 04-23-2011, 02:10 AM

View mveach's Photo Album My Photos
[QUOTE=knotscott;207514]Anything that runs on a standard 110v circuit will be less than a true 2hp, so unless you have 220v, < 2hp is your hp range.

12.5 amps for 2 horse motor. If the motor is rated at the output, it will be more like 14 due to loses in the motor.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-23-2011, 03:16 AM
The village amadán.

View Mr Mac's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I'll be looking for a nicer contractor's saw, a nice upgrade from this. Once this one goes to the point where It's not worth fixing anymore, I plan on upgrading. Anyone have any suggestions on what saw I should get for just a serious hobby shop?

Thanks guys!
The Delta and the Craftsman (Emerson made) are by far the two most popular table saws on the used market and rightfully so. I like the Delta simply because it has a much better fence.

The Craftsman saws are just as stout and capable as the Delta and can be refitted with a better fence to make them a great saw since you'll pay a lot less up front for the Craftsman.

If you choose the Craftsman try and find one with the cast iron wings and not the stamped steel as they tend to rust and chip paint and then warp a bit too much for my taste.

The one I just sold I bought for a mere $25. It had a boatload of rust but that was easily taken care of in less then an hour.

Before

After

Good luck and let us know what you get.

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. James 3:17
post #9 of 12 Old 04-23-2011, 10:02 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
Definitely look for the cast iron wings. Hope for a Beismeyer style fence, and look for the longest rails you can get. 1-1/2 Hp is pretty much the minimum for a serious saw. 2 or 3 HP would be better, but you would need 220 volt. You can get a pretty good idea of the quality of the saw just by looking it over completely. Don't go only by brand name. A high end cabinet saw is the way to go for serious woodworkers, but you are talking big bucks, and for many of us the cost is not justified by the useage.

Gerry
post #10 of 12 Old 04-23-2011, 10:10 AM

View Woodworkingkid's Photo Album My Photos
i have the same craftsmen saw as you have. the Emerson made saws are great and comparable to the ridged contraqctor saws made now. They can be found on cl for under 125. My craftsmen saw is twenty years old that my papa bought in 91 becasue "he had to have it" he used it five times and put it in his grage.Back in december i told him about how i was getting a table saw on cl and he gave that saw ti me if i moved it out of his grage. I spent probly 8 hours working on it and removing rust that does include taking it apart to make it lighter to take downstairs and then putting back together. The emerson craftsmen saws are great
post #11 of 12 Old 04-23-2011, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
The Young Blood

View Locodcdude's Photo Album My Photos
When ever my friend takes me pickin' I'll see if I can scap a saw from there, if not, I'll keep my eyes peeled for some good old American Iron.
post #12 of 12 Old 04-23-2011, 10:54 PM

View dvalery20's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
My current table saw is just a 10 amp benchtop table saw I got about 3 years ago for like $100. It runs nice and I keep it so it cuts accurately and cleanly. I've done a few tune up's here and there to adjust the blade and the bevel settings. I noticed the bevel lock knob has a bolt in it that threads onto the bevel shaft to help lock it at the angle you've selected. The bolt seems to keep sliding out of the little handle and gets jammed so the blade doesn't bevel easily. I'm fixing this with some epoxy, but just for future reference,

Thanks guys!
It all really depends on what kind of work you want to be doing, essentially all you need is a saw that is running straight and true, with a nice straight fence that can move easily with accuracy and a couple of key safety features with it.
if you get something under 2hp I would recommend using a thin kerf blade, this will help your motor out a lot!
make sure you have some sort of riving knife attachment on the saw so you don't deal with kickback from your saw, and make sure your comfortable with it.
In reality 110v over 220v isn't going to reduce your hp on your saw, your not starving your motor by doing this either, 110 over 220 means your essentially splitting your voltage, 2 leads over one neutral, and when you do that you cut your amperage in half. All you need to be worried about is running that saw on it's own breaker, most homes come standard with panel boxes full of 15amp and 20amp breakers and the occasional20-30 for appliances like ovens, dryers, etc. that would run on 220V.
You can score some older craftsman, delta, powermatic, jet, the list goes on especially on craigslist, but remember, whatever you buy ask yourself if the machine is in great running condition, if you don't feel safe about it, leave it and find another. Hope this helps

*note* and what I mean by, "In reality 110v over 220v isn't going to reduce your hp on your saw" is most contractor saws, like what you were asking about only go up to between 1hp - 1.75hp, you will find the oddball 2hp, but then they become hybrid saws, where some companies incorporate the cabinet saw look, but the trunion of a contractor saw.

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
Thomas A. Edison

Last edited by dvalery20; 04-23-2011 at 10:59 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvalery20 For This Useful Post:
Locodcdude (04-23-2011)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode