Advice Request on Shelves - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 06-29-2020, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
AJ.

View AJ.'s Photo Album My Photos
Question Advice Request on Shelves

Hello,
I want to do an entire wall of shelves in my mom's house.
Initially, she asked for metal brackets on a concrete wall with wood shelves on top... yet that was like 200 holes into the wall.
Plus the depth of the shelf should be 22".

So I suggested to build a "frame" with shelves inside.
From that idea it morphed into: lets do supports on the concrete wall, and a wood frame in the front.

I was thinking of setting up a 8' 2x4 milled down (terminology? I would "join" all its four edges so it's a little bit nicer than rough).
Set those joined 2x4 into the wall, and use those as supports for the shelves bottoms coming out.

In the front then have a wooden frame.

Any suggestions?
Or is my description too vague?

Thank you for reading!

EDIT: I found this in the interwebz... basically this idea, yet try and make it pretier!Advice Request on Shelves-shelves2.png

Last edited by AJ.; 06-29-2020 at 07:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-30-2020, 10:40 AM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
How about a shelving unit?

Like this?

Robert
post #3 of 5 Old 06-30-2020, 12:04 PM

View JIMMIEM's Photo Album My Photos
Instead of butt joints, which show end grain, miter the end joints. Enclose the bottoms of the shelves so that the cross braces are not visible. Notch the vertical support to capture the edge of the shelf to give it a cleaner look.
Paint the wall or attach some sheetrock, painted mdf, or painted hardboard to give it a more finished look. Can you enclose the open end from top to the floor to give it a cabinet like look?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-30-2020, 12:42 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
You can use 1x3 or 4 against the wall vs 2x4. Unless you are putting really heavy material on shelves it will be very adequate strength.

How do you plan to fasten to wall? I would recommend 22 caliber powered nail gun. Years ago when I was moving my business into a new building I hung a lot of shelves and other wood fixtures with one of those. They work well in concrete block or solid concrete.

You can usually rent one fairly cheap.

George
post #5 of 5 Old 06-30-2020, 01:12 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I can vouch for the heavy duty shelf units that @DrRobert recommended. We have four of them in two different locations - the garage and an outside shed. They are very heavy and sturdy. We have had them for many years, and they look the same as new. You can get them from many sources, not only Sam's Club.

The shelves are steel rod grates with large square holes, so you may want to cover them with hardboard or thin plywood if you want to store small items on them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode