Advice Curved front display case with trim - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 06-26-2017, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

View gdulski's Photo Album My Photos
Advice Curved front display case with trim

I am looking for some ideas and help making a display case that is attached. This is the display case designed for the Broadway play, Mary Poppins. For the front panel, I can use 1/4 birch or melamane, etc.. something easily bent around a frame. The trim though... that's another story. I'm looking for help since the angle resembles crown molding and it follows the curved profile of the front. I appreciate any help or thoughts... Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51985374469__1824DB98-735E-40DD-96FE-9AD973097855.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	301354  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-26-2017, 10:53 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Probably the easiest way to make that is to make a form and laminate some bendable plywood around the radius to make the curved parts. The stuff comes in 1/4" or 3/8" thickness and it bends like rubber. When you laminate two or more pieces together it becomes more rigid. Once assembled you could cover it with veneer or plastic laminate.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-27-2017, 12:33 AM

View kentucky tom's Photo Album My Photos
For the "glass" I would use 1\8" polycarbonate (lexan). I set in to the curved channel, the use wood molding that has been steamed to curve. Tom

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-27-2017, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Steve.. I hope I dind't misunderstand your recommendation... Would a form be appropriate to make the top/bottom trim or the cabinet face? Since the top/bottom trim extends out at an angle (maybe 50-60 degrees just guessing???) and it follows the radius. I assumed I couldn't get that shape using a form... but it's possible at least I'm trying to visualize it in my head. Also, I wonder if the top/bottom edge of the trim could be constructed by mitering 1/4 bendable ply at the proper angle but one edge on the entire length is cut on the same radius as the cabinet? I hope I'm not confusing you. Thank you

Last edited by gdulski; 06-27-2017 at 09:36 AM.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-27-2017, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Tom... fortunately, the 'widnows' will not be filled in at all... for the sake of clarity, the set designer and director said no glass! Thank you for your ideas though! Greg
post #6 of 8 Old 06-27-2017, 09:39 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Question curved vs segmented

Curved wood shapes can be made in either of 3 ways.
1. Use wide stock and saw them out.
2. Use a bending form and laminate thin strips.
3. Make a steam bending "oven" and bend them over a form.

Segmented shapes are just straight pieces joined at the appropriate angle for the number of sides.... for example, 360 degrees divided by 6 sides, for instance is 60 degrees included and 30 degrees on each piece. This is easier in that it's less labor intensive.

Which design do you prefer?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 8 Old 06-27-2017, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for your ideas. Well, my preference would be to use one piece of trim stock IF (big if) it's within reasonable effort to cut one edge at the proper 'curved' radius (matching the face of the cabinet) But, second I like the laminate / bending option.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-27-2017, 05:06 PM

View Old Skhool's Photo Album My Photos
You may want to explore flex trim made from polyurethane. It may greatly simplify the job. Try googling flexible crown molding, flexible molding, or some similar search terms. Shouldn't be hard to find. You could even build up your own designs from various stock profiles. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode