Advice to clean rough oak boards - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By johnep

post #1 of 8 Old 01-06-2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

View LAW3's Photo Album My Photos
Advice to clean rough oak boards

I'm looking to clean some rough sawed oak boards that have been exposed to dirt and water. My goal is to keep the saw marks and the rough look as much as possible. The plan is to use these to construct my bar top. I live in Minnesota so taking them outside to wash and scrub isn't an option.

How do I clean these up and maintain the "rustic" look?

Thanks in advance.

LW
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rough Oak .jpg
Views:	36
Size:	370.1 KB
ID:	370171  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-06-2019, 03:29 PM
Dust Maker

View samandothers's Photo Album My Photos
I was going to suggest pressure washing, though I can see your environment may not lend itself to that. What about a wire wheel with fine of medium bristles?

Sam
post #3 of 8 Old 01-06-2019, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

View LAW3's Photo Album My Photos
I thought about that too. Would the wire leave marks on the wood? I should try it on a scrap piece.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-06-2019, 05:49 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I would not use the wire wheel. Surely, even in Minn. you have some days where you could do some pressure washing. I am looking at the current Minn. weather map and the southern half of the state would be OK.

George
post #5 of 8 Old 01-06-2019, 11:59 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
The power washer would be the better method. Wait for a halfway warm day or put the job off until spring.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-07-2019, 05:27 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
Your local car wash should have a power sprayer. Most in UK have them to clean the wheels.
johnep
gmercer_48083 likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-07-2019, 10:11 AM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
I like Oxalic Acid for cleaning raw wood with stains:
as with any project where products and conditions are different
from other parts of the world; TESTING is always a good practice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	370205  

-- I am a painter. That's what I do. I paint things --

Last edited by John Smith_inFL; 01-07-2019 at 12:10 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-08-2019, 01:55 AM

View BattleRidge's Photo Album My Photos
My go-to tool for reclaimed wood is the Porter Cable Restorer with the Stainless Steel Wire Wheel Attachment. It does a great job of removing dirt, loose wood particles and other accumulations on reclaimed or other wood, while leaving the natural features on the wood (saw marks, grain, etc.). The surface left behind is pleasant to the touch, quite clean (though staining that is deep in the wood will remain), and have a very natural appearance that doesn't have to undergo special drying after washing with any liquids.

For dust collection I use a shop vac / Dust Deputy combination connected to the tool, though a full-size dust collector with hose attachment can work too. You can operate the Restorer without dust collection but, depending on the condition of the wood you are cleaning, you will find a LOT of dust and debris on the floor, driveway or wherever you decide to work. I highly recommend using dust collection (notably the shop vac / DD combo) and it does a great job of gathering the particles as they are removed.

With the reclaimed wood I process, I typically remove the nails and such from the wood, cut out sections that are deteriorated, badly deformed or overly filled with nails, mark nail pieces that I am unable to remove (broken below the surface, etc.) with a circle of chalk, then run the Restorer on all surfaces. I then cut the wood into sections that are easy to store or to dimensions that I will be needing for a project.

I have used the Restorer / Wire Wheel on quite a few boards and it is holding up very well - definitely worth the cost. There are likely a variety of videos on YouTube of the Restorer in action.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/r...ld-drum-sander

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/s...cable-restorer

Art

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode