Advice for Box/Cabinet - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 10-14-2015, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

View LostHasher's Photo Album My Photos
Advice for Box/Cabinet

Hello all.

I'm hoping to get some advice. Short version: I have to figure out how to attach a 1/2-inch USB "door" to a 1/2-inch USB cabinet/box. Due to the wood thickness and type, I'm stuck on the type of hinge and latch to use, mostly because the wood screws have to be so short.

I attached a rough visual aid. The rectangle is the front of the box, with a rectangular hole cut out. The 1/2-inch USB door is cut larger than the hole. Similar to a kitchen cabinet, but with really crummy wood.

Long version:
I framed out a 2'x3'x4' box with the intention of adding a ton of household wiring as a demo. My neighbor saw it, asked me to use her scrap USB to wrap it, and turn it into something amazing. I accepted the challenge. The door needs accept any sort of small lock, and has to be relatively air tight due to future mothball odor.

Note:
I know 1/2-inch OSB isn't ideal. This is a customer we're talking about here, and I'm doing what I'm getting paid to do. I will have to say that it's looking amazing so far. Spar urethane really made the wood strands pop. (Couldn't shrink my photo to the appropriate file size. I'll try again once this is finished.)

Thanks for reading.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-14-2015, 11:35 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Usb???
post #3 of 6 Old 10-14-2015, 11:46 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
USB and OSB

Probably a typo. It's a good question regardless. You might consider a piano hinge for greater strength. The material is too thin for standard cup hinges. I have no other ideas....

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-15-2015, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Probably a typo. It's a good question regardless. You might consider a piano hinge for greater strength. The material is too thin for standard cup hinges. I have no other ideas....
Yeah, typo. I guess I was too tired last night.

[Or: "Sure. That's what we call in this neck of the woods. Underlayment Strand Board."]

Playing off piano hinges as the best solution... I actually have a little bit of scrap 3/4" OSB. I might try cutting a front panel and door out of that, with cup hinges. Assemble both versions off the cabinet and see which one works/looks better.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Last edited by LostHasher; 10-15-2015 at 10:16 AM. Reason: wording choice
post #5 of 6 Old 10-15-2015, 10:39 AM

View Stevedore's Photo Album My Photos
If the door needs any amount of durability, I suspect that screws into 1/2" OSB won't be a good long-term solution. I'd probably use small screws & nuts. Flathead screws, recessed nuts on the back side?
post #6 of 6 Old 10-15-2015, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedore View Post
Flathead screws, recessed nuts on the back side?
I can play around with this idea as well, on the junk pieces.

Look at how urethane made those OSB strands pop. And the lighting in the garage isn't even that good. I found zero agreement online regarding how to finish OSB, but here's what I learned, after testing 8 methods on scrap:

--Stain doesn't work. Especially if the ends will be showing. Spar urethane darkened the wood on its own.
--Poly-stains are useless.
--Sanding sealer definitely doesn't work.
--Sanding between coats doesn't work, because the white dust settles in the many cracks of the OSB strands and refused extraction. For that board on the left, I simply applied the second coat on the same afternoon I applied the first coat.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode