Adjustable bar clamps - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 5Likes
  • 4 Post By Chris Curl
  • 1 Post By GeorgeC

post #1 of 7 Old 02-08-2019, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Adjustable bar clamps

I want to get some adjustable bar clamps like the one in the picture to fill out my collection. Mine are Craftsman. There are so many options now, I don’t know what to pick. I see Irwin, Dewalt, Jorgensen, Bessy and so on. The choices seem limitless.

Any advice on which ones are decent?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1446E00F-515A-44DA-AE40-2E2534286C96_1549682155014.jpeg (84.3 KB, 105 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-09-2019, 12:06 AM
Former Member

View 35015's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep View Post
I want to get some adjustable bar clamps like the one in the picture to fill out my collection. Mine are Craftsman. There are so many options now, I donít know what to pick. I see Irwin, Dewalt, Jorgensen, Bessy and so on. The choices seem limitless.

Any advice on which ones are decent?
Hi Quichstep,

I feel your pain...Lot's of choices for sure...

I like my "home made" (aka: read that to mean "traditional") clamping methods the best...Why? Well, because I have complete control over them, there size, there function...and they are almost always (always actually I think?) the least expensive by far...

Other than that, find the ones that...you like...and that work for you according to the way...you work...wood.

Make sure they are all balance in size and depth...

More of B+ grade clamps are better than a few A+ clamps in almost all circumstances I've experienced...We can never have enough clamps...LMAO...

That's my quick 2Ę on clamps ...Let me know if I can expand anything?
post #3 of 7 Old 02-09-2019, 12:18 AM
Master firewood maker

View Chris Curl's Photo Album My Photos
I have had my Harbor Freight ones for years and use them all the time. The longer ones bend a little when I crank them down hard, but they are still fine. Point is, even the cheapest ones you can get aren't bad. I am sure you will be happy with pretty much any ones you pick. Don't stress over it.
GeorgeC, 35015, mjadams61 and 1 others like this.

... turning perfectly good wood into firewood every day ... :smile3:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-09-2019, 06:21 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Curl View Post
I have had my Harbor Freight ones for years and use them all the time. The longer ones bend a little when I crank them down hard, but they are still fine. Point is, even the cheapest ones you can get aren't bad. I am sure you will be happy with pretty much any ones you pick. Don't stress over it.

Agree.

G
mjadams61 likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-09-2019, 07:25 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Curl View Post
I have quite a few of the HF ones as well, and some Jorgensen, haven't used them in some time. Once the quick grip style clamps came out they are my goto clamps. I have mainly Irwin, they have been fine, I bought them based on price, when they were on sale around Christmas. After those are some Parallel jaw type clamps, I have some Bessey, and Woodcraft used to run a great sale on Jet's at Christmas time. Next in the list is 36" Jorgensen pipe clamps, they are my most used pipe clamps. For me those are the clamps that see the majority of the work, but I really guess it depends on what you typically work on. I have more clamps, longer pipe clamps, hand screws, spring clamps, etc, but many of them collect dust.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-09-2019, 10:35 AM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
Harbor freight brand clamps have plastic pads, and soft grip, and come in many sizes. Never had one fail. They are my favorites. I have some Jorgenson clamps which I use last resort.

Gary

Woodworking is like wetting myself....Only I know that warm feeling!
post #7 of 7 Old 02-11-2019, 03:34 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
I also have some Harbor Freight clamps but Iíve had failures with the cheap clamps. Iíve broken two of the quick grip style of cheap clamps. The Irwin and Jorgensen clamps are more heavy duty and will take more pressure without flexing or breaking at the squeeze handle.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode