Adding a “gripping area” to a cutting board - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By difalkner
  • 1 Post By sgcz75b
  • 1 Post By sgcz75b
  • 1 Post By Packard

post #1 of 17 Old 04-19-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

View Yonathan's Photo Album My Photos
Adding a “gripping area” to a cutting board

Hi,

I have a piece of oak that I’ve cut and sanded and is ready to be oiled, which is to be used as a “cutting board” (it’s really just a slab of oak, first project and all that) but I want to add something that will make it easier to lift off the counter top.

I only have some very basic tools and would appreciate some ideas:

Jigsaw
Drill
Orbital sander

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-19-2019, 07:37 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Can you post a photo of the board as it is now and where you want the grips located? That may help with suggestions.

David
unburled likes this.

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #3 of 17 Old 04-19-2019, 08:09 PM
Central Florida

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
there is much conflicting information about using oak for cutting boards.
the wood is porous and hard to keep sealed. thus creating an avenue
for bacteria to form and live in the wood.
periodic washing with a weak bleach should keep everyone safe.
especially after processing any raw meat on the board.

Edit: I missed the part about your your list of tools available.
doing a quick google search for "Cutting Board Handles IMAGES"
I found many that are within your skill set and tools on hand.
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...30.eB9CH1Km4K4

-- Failure is proof that you at least tried ~ now, go do it again, and again, until you get it right --

Last edited by John Smith_inFL; 04-19-2019 at 08:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 04-19-2019, 08:22 PM

View unburled's Photo Album My Photos
or white oak

given your tool list, you could add handles, key word being add.

Last edited by unburled; 04-19-2019 at 08:26 PM.
post #5 of 17 Old 04-20-2019, 07:25 AM
Central Florida

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonathan View Post
I have a piece of oak that I’ve cut and sanded and is ready to be oiled,
which is to be used as a “cutting board” (it’s really just a "slab of oak").
I guess we should have also asked: is that piece of oak GREEN ???
when you said you had just cut it - you need to expand a little more on that.
[the term "slab" means totally different things in different parts of the world].
I remember from your previous posts that you live in Israel.
again - photos and more information will help get you the best options for your project.

-- Failure is proof that you at least tried ~ now, go do it again, and again, until you get it right --

Last edited by John Smith_inFL; 04-20-2019 at 07:44 AM.
post #6 of 17 Old 04-20-2019, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Sorry, slab might have been the wrong word. It was pre cut as a rectangle, I just cut it further to a smaller size and sanded. Will post a photo when I’m home.
post #7 of 17 Old 04-20-2019, 12:03 PM
Beware of purists

View sgcz75b's Photo Album My Photos
Since the safety of wood cutting boards was brought up, here's an interesting article.https://news.ncsu.edu/2014/09/cuttin...s-food-safety/

I stopped using wood cutting boards 15 years ago for any meats whether cooked or raw as well as vegetables and fruit.

Now I use wooden cutting boards strickly as serving trays for cheese and crackers and non-juicy foods. Rather than make cutting boards, I make serving trays.

I use plastic for all cutting boards and run them through the dishwasher and sometimes use bleach in the sink to disenfect them.

That's my opinion.
John Smith_inFL likes this.

"Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity."Hanlon's Razor
post #8 of 17 Old 04-20-2019, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

The article says to use wood cutting boards for vegetables and fruits and plastic for meat. I donít eat meat, but to be honest I still donít use cutting boards at all, I cut everything directly on the marble countertop (we use basic knives, nothing fancy, so we donít really worry about their longevity).

However, this is just a fun project, something to start with in this hobby. Maybe itíll get me to eat more salad or I could indeed use it as a serving plate. I love it when restaurants do that.

Hereís a photo of the piece:

Name:  F1434577-82D3-4C13-9BDC-AFEED7F6D790_1555781312444.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  318.3 KB

Last edited by difalkner; 04-20-2019 at 02:23 PM. Reason: show photo instead of link
post #9 of 17 Old 04-20-2019, 02:13 PM
Beware of purists

The article says you can use wooden cutting boards IF you keep them spic-and-span. Frankly, most who use them don't.

Most health departments have prohibited wooden cutting boards in restaurants for good reasons.

I couldn't help but cringe when you stated you cut directly on a marble countertop. Your knives, not mine.

"Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity."Hanlon's Razor
post #10 of 17 Old 04-20-2019, 02:48 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Since it's not end grain you won't have as many issues with the open grain of Oak but I would still heed the advice given on cutting board usage.

Given your available tools you might be able to set your jigsaw on an angle and cut the ends similar to this quickie drawing I made -

Adding a “gripping area” to a cutting board-oak-cutting-board-yonathan-wwt-suggestion.jpg

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #11 of 17 Old 04-20-2019, 04:00 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
that's a "face board" construction - it's very prone to warping etc. were it me, I'd do some pieces that glued onto the short ends and incorporates a foot + 'handle' - 10-15 minutes 'sitting in wet' will produce a warp.

oak is not the ideal wood for a long term wet use cutting board. for breads/service/type use, it's fine.

all the musik about "Danger Will Robinson" is just hyper stuff. do a search on the author Dean Cliver and you'll find he rather clearly states "ain't so simple." Health Departments would require all employees be run through a 180'F sanitizing bath twice a shift if they thought they could get away with it. wood is not a good candidate for running through a "sanitizing" dishwasher, plastic works better at that - but of course Cliver's research shows cut up plastics don't sanitize well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Img19_688.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	374613  

post #12 of 17 Old 04-20-2019, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
Since it's not end grain you won't have as many issues with the open grain of Oak but I would still heed the advice given on cutting board usage.

Given your available tools you might be able to set your jigsaw on an angle and cut the ends similar to this quickie drawing I made -

Attachment 374611

David
I thought of doing that, but then it won't be usable on one side.
I attempted to make a side groove/slot with my drill on a test piece, it looked awful because of two reasons: a) the tip of the wood drill bit and b) the holes weren't perfectly centered even though I placed the drill bit tip on the center line. Maybe I'll try again with a different type of drill bit (without a sharp tip) and with a little fence so that all the holes will be centered.

P.S.: I also have a Dremel 3000 (totally forgot about it until now). Can it handle cutting grooves into hardwood?

Last edited by Yonathan; 04-20-2019 at 04:14 PM.
post #13 of 17 Old 04-20-2019, 04:27 PM
Beware of purists

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCT2 View Post
t

all the musik about "Danger Will Robinson" is just hyper stuff. do a search on the author Dean Cliver and you'll find he rather clearly states "ain't so simple." Health Departments would require all employees be run through a 180'F sanitizing bath twice a shift if they thought they could get away with it. wood is not a good candidate for running through a "sanitizing" dishwasher, plastic works better at that - but of course Cliver's research shows cut up plastics don't sanitize well.

In the course of my career I was in the working kitchens of many restaurants -from the Taco Bell's to the Longhorn's and Outback's, and 4-star high-dollar celebrity type kitchens.

The best way to keep your appetite is never go in those kitchens. Running employees through a sanitizing bath twice a day wouldn't be enough. Too many unskilled and unsanitary people handling food. I welcome automation in restaurant kitchens.

The article stated that it wasn't pro-plastic and plastic boards do get scratches that can harbor bacteria, but are easier to sanitize both in restaurants and at home.

Many people who have wooden cutting boards do not ever sanitize their boards and often only have the one board that gets constant use. Plastic boards are cheaper and you can have 5-10 for the price on one high-priced wooden one. Use one plastic board, put it in the dishwasher, and grab a clean one for the next job.

What anyone does in their kitchen doesn't matter to me, but I wouldn't necessarily want to eat what comes out of that kitchen.

That's my opinion.

post #14 of 17 Old 04-24-2019, 08:41 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
There exists these round mushroom shaped plugs for this very situation. Just drill a hole and glue in place. I believe the correct name is 'buttons'.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Denison, Tx
post #15 of 17 Old 04-24-2019, 08:59 AM
Beware of purists

You might consider not having any gripper or buttons too. In restaurants and in many home kitchens the cutting board (plastic or wood) is place on top of a clean folded towel like a bar towel or a piece of non-slip shelving mat. That way it won't move and you can flip it over and use the other surface as well.

I personally don't care for handles, holes, rubber corners and bumpers, blood and juice grooves, or anything other than a flat cutting board as they can harbor bacteria if not scrupulously cleaned and disinfected.
unburled likes this.

post #16 of 17 Old 04-24-2019, 09:49 AM

View Packard's Photo Album My Photos
With the angled cuts it would be easy to lift the board with no handle areas.

This is a simple design and I would be inclined to keep it that way. I would leave off the handle.
unburled likes this.
post #17 of 17 Old 04-24-2019, 09:51 AM

View Packard's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgcz75b View Post
You might consider not having any gripper or buttons too. In restaurants and in many home kitchens the cutting board (plastic or wood) is place on top of a clean folded towel like a bar towel or a piece of non-slip shelving mat. That way it won't move and you can flip it over and use the other surface as well.

I personally don't care for handles, holes, rubber corners and bumpers, blood and juice grooves, or anything other than a flat cutting board as they can harbor bacteria if not scrupulously cleaned and disinfected.
I agree about keeping it clean. They sell silicone rubber sheets that provide anti-slip and can be tossed in the dishwasher.

https://www.google.com/search?q=silc...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode