90 degree soft close lid support for 80lb lid? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 23 Old 06-04-2016, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

View tomtomtom's Photo Album My Photos
90 degree soft close lid support for 80lb lid?

I bought a very large chest made of teak and mounted a 50" LED TV to the inside of the lid so we could hide the it when it wasn't in use. The lid (with the tv mounted) is about 80 lbs and 24" from hinge to lip. I want something that keeps the lid open at 90 degrees and keeps the lid from slamming when it closes. The best thing I've found are a pair of these Stabilus gas springs but they can only handle 56lbs. Is there a better product for this application?

Chest Closed

Chest Open

Side of chest where support will be mounted

Last edited by tomtomtom; 06-04-2016 at 08:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 06-04-2016, 11:36 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
That's something I've never had to deal with. More than likely you will have to settle with one that locks in a 90 degree position. I don't think you will find one that is soft close too without having some motorized system. If the chest was taller they make an elevator which lifts a TV up to viewing position. It's expensive through.
post #3 of 23 Old 06-04-2016, 12:33 PM

View mikechell's Photo Album My Photos
A screw type garage door opener ... You'll need access to a machinist or a metal 3-D printer.
Attached Images

Last edited by mikechell; 06-04-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 06-04-2016, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Would it be possible to just mount more gas springs? For example, use a total of 4 gas springs that are each rated to 20lbs. The only problem I can think of is how to mount them. From what I've read in the spec sheet, they have to be attached to the lid and wall a certain distance from the hinge so there would only be room for one on each side, right? Is there a way around that? Can I stager them?

Last edited by tomtomtom; 06-04-2016 at 04:39 PM.
post #5 of 23 Old 06-04-2016, 07:03 PM

If you're determined to use pneumatic cylinders, look at the ones for Mini-van rear doors. My Ford Freestar uses two, one on each side. I am sure the door weighs more than 80 pounds, and from closed to open is more than 90 degrees.
It raises the door with minimal effort. Closing the door takes minimal effort, too, but you can't just "let it go". It won't SLAM down, but it will close hard enough to latch. On your TV stand, you'd just have to make sure you had hold of it all the way down.
post #6 of 23 Old 06-04-2016, 08:32 PM
Sawing against the Wind

View Tennessee Tim's Photo Album My Photos
Hydraulics, gas and pnuematics have styles similar but I'll use the term as a shock for your usage. MOST shocks are designed according to weight, distance and travel, needed features as: is it just a relief/slowing mechanism as a storm door is designed to pull shut and the rate is adjustable BUT has a spot near close that snaps shut for latching (opposite of your needs, just example).

You'll need to find specific shock design and travel which as a mechanical different placement varies wieght and usage. Your thought of duals can be used with one on each side of TV. could be doubled together but as side by side not inline.

Have a Blessed and Prosperous day in Jesus's Awesome Love, Tim
........www.TSMFarms.com.......... John 3:16-21 ..........
Reveling God's awesome beauty while creating one of-a-kind flitches and heirlooms.
post #7 of 23 Old 06-04-2016, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee Tim View Post
Hydraulics, gas and pnuematics have styles similar but I'll use the term as a shock for your usage. MOST shocks are designed according to weight, distance and travel, needed features as: is it just a relief/slowing mechanism as a storm door is designed to pull shut and the rate is adjustable BUT has a spot near close that snaps shut for latching (opposite of your needs, just example).

You'll need to find specific shock design and travel which as a mechanical different placement varies wieght and usage. Your thought of duals can be used with one on each side of TV. could be doubled together but as side by side not inline.
Thanks for the information. Can you explain how I can mount them side by side? I'm going to order the gas springs from my original post and if they aren't enough I'll order a couple more. I'm not sure how to mount the second set though. The spec sheet has pretty specific dimensions for the location of the mounts but maybe there is some play there?
post #8 of 23 Old 06-04-2016, 09:57 PM
Sawing against the Wind

Side by side would be like if you had a bolt mounted in the side and both were on the same bolt/axis. The shocks have to have the same axis point to perform correctly , NOT one in front of the other.

They need sketching tools on here. I can "smiley", color fonts, underline, increase size, insert images, insert links, "wrap" things.....BUT I can't draw or sketch!!!

Reveling God's awesome beauty while creating one of-a-kind flitches and heirlooms.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tennessee Tim For This Useful Post:
WesTex (06-05-2016)
post #9 of 23 Old 06-04-2016, 10:21 PM

He means ...
Attached Images

post #10 of 23 Old 06-04-2016, 11:40 PM
Sawing against the Wind

YEP that's it!!!

post #11 of 23 Old 06-05-2016, 08:21 AM

View Danno's Photo Album My Photos
Try these:
http://www.sugatsune.com/products/pr...ctid=SDS%2D210

These are good for about 70 lbs each. Put one on each side, and you should be fine. They've also got locking stays. We used them on some glass lids for a museum exhibit, and they work great.

Last edited by Danno; 06-05-2016 at 08:25 AM.
post #12 of 23 Old 06-05-2016, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Side by side would be like if you had a bolt mounted in the side and both were on the same bolt/axis. The shocks have to have the same axis point to perform correctly , NOT one in front of the other.

They need sketching tools on here. I can "smiley", color fonts, underline, increase size, insert images, insert links, "wrap" things.....BUT I can't draw or sketch!!!
That makes sense, thanks! Do you know where I can find a bracket that I can mount 2 gas springs to? Or i guess I could buy a gas spring that can handle more force.

Last edited by tomtomtom; 06-05-2016 at 09:11 AM.
post #13 of 23 Old 06-05-2016, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Try these:
http://www.sugatsune.com/products/pr...ctid=SDS%2D210

These are good for about 70 lbs each. Put one on each side, and you should be fine. They've also got locking stays. We used them on some glass lids for a museum exhibit, and they work great.
If I'm reading the specs right, those can handle 70 ~ 100 kg.cm but my lid is about 1000 kg.cm. Did I do that calculation wrong?
post #14 of 23 Old 06-05-2016, 09:12 AM

View Danno's Photo Album My Photos
100 kg is equal to 220 lbs. The ones we used had less of a rating, and the lid had a 2'x3' piece of 3/8" glass framed with distressed pine.

They do have higher rated stays if you don't think it's enough. The locking ones have a pin you have to release to close the lid.
post #15 of 23 Old 06-05-2016, 09:15 AM

Before you start thinking about putting two cylinders on each side, is there enough room to do that? I don't think it would be necessary though. If a single cylinder is rated at 56lbs then one on each side should do 112 lbs.

Mounting two of them on each side you would need to add some wood to the sides or have a metal bracket fabricated.
post #16 of 23 Old 06-05-2016, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Before you start thinking about putting two cylinders on each side, is there enough room to do that? I don't think it would be necessary though. If a single cylinder is rated at 56lbs then one on each side should do 112 lbs.

Mounting two of them on each side you would need to add some wood to the sides or have a metal bracket fabricated.
Looking at this data sheet it's not totally clear but it seems like item #8031UW, Gas Spring Kit are rated to 56lb for both combined, right?
post #17 of 23 Old 06-05-2016, 05:09 PM
Sawing against the Wind

Danno's link has some good choices....plus he's used them before on cases.

post #18 of 23 Old 06-05-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtomtom View Post
Looking at this data sheet it's not totally clear but it seems like item #8031UW, Gas Spring Kit are rated to 56lb for both combined, right?
You are correct. Usually the rating is for the single cylinder is how I got it wrong.
post #19 of 23 Old 06-05-2016, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
100 kg is equal to 220 lbs. The ones we used had less of a rating, and the lid had a 2'x3' piece of 3/8" glass framed with distressed pine.

They do have higher rated stays if you don't think it's enough. The locking ones have a pin you have to release to close the lid.
Quote:
Danno's link has some good choices....plus he's used them before on cases.
When I did the calculation, I converted all the units. I called the company and they don't have anything that can handle a 24" 80lb door. Looks like Stabilus has a wider array of gas springs. If the springs I bought don't work I'll return them and buy some higher rated springs. I'm not sure I have any other good option.
post #20 of 23 Old 06-06-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtomtom View Post
I'm not sure I have any other good option.
Really? I am confused, since a push button, electronic opening device would be SO much cooler than a couple of pistons making it easier to manually lift.

Electric/Hydraulic pistons or my design with modified garage door opener posted above.

???

Tags
lid, stays, supports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode