The 7th China International wood and wood products conference - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 01-27-2010, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

View sophiecheng's Photo Album My Photos
The 7th China International wood and wood products conference

April 28-30 2010, Guangzhou · P.R. China
INVITATION
In the first quarter of 2009, the volume and price of wood and wood products export of China slipped, by 2009 financial crisis, orders from overseas have weakened as economies abroad falter. Russia is still the largest suppliers of China and exports more than 76.7 million cubic meters and worth more than US885 millions. Other suppliers are New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Solomon and Gabon, these five countries accounted for 86% of the total imports. Therefore was a development opportunity for China wood and wood products industry.
“China International Wood and Wood Products Trade Conferenceis the high-end trade fair oriented for the international purchasing and supplying of wood material and wood products. It is aimed at discussing the economic situation and policy, the new international bill, and the strategic choice in breaking “Green Banner”. Guangzhou is located at the edge of South China Sea and close to HongKong and Macao, It is the south door of China to the outside world.
Conference Content
Trade NegotiationDisplaying and ExhibitionSummit ForumProject InvestmentBusiness BanquetVisit woodworking enterprises and market.
Organizations to participate the conference:
Government Agencies, AssociationInternational forest certification organizationimport & export inspection and quarantine bureauexport direction and managementorganizations, Consulting organizationstransportation corporationMedia, etc.
Systematic Services:
Website propagandaThe attendees’ information will be published at the wood trade website: www.mujiaohui.com/en and remain for one year, And the exhibitors have the priority to publish dynamic advertisement on the website.
Matchmaking Services
The organizer provide one-stop solution services and “order form” pattern simultaneously, make sure the purchasers’ name and the purchasing list, by this, attendees can contact your potential partners in advance.
Electronic Information Guidelines
The organizer will provide EIG to the attendees regularly after the conference.
Schedule
April 28, 2010Registration all daytime
April 29, 2010:
All daytimeOpening Ceremony, Summit Forum
Evening: evening meal
April 30, 2010:
A.M. : B2B Business Negotiation, Displaying and Exhibition (Log Area, Board Area, Wood Products Area), Special performance activities.
P.M. : Visiting factories and market

Charge:
participation fee: 750USD/person, including: MaterialSimultaneous Interpretationrefreshments Evening meal (only for 28 April)Visiting to factories or markets. For advertisements or sponsorship please see the Application Form
Booth Fee: 3m x 3m: 500USD
Preferential Policy:
If more than 3 (including 3) person participate, the organizer will provide a booth .
10% discount for: Member companies
Add: Room A-405 China Post Science Academy, Xisanqi, Haidian District, Beijing city, China
Attn: Field
Tel: 0086-10- 82920181 82924038 13521872202
Fax: 0086-10- 82920181
E-mail: [email protected]
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-27-2010, 10:07 AM

View woodman42's Photo Album My Photos
No thanks, I buy American lumber.

Did you say tool sale?
post #3 of 15 Old 01-27-2010, 10:23 AM

View pabloj13's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodman42 View Post
No thanks, I buy American lumber.
Seconded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 01-27-2010, 01:32 PM
No Longer Here

View frankp's Photo Album My Photos
I'm curious how people purchase "exotic" woods. I know many of the members here don't really use a lot of exotics, but I'd be curious about percentages. Maybe I'll start a poll...
post #5 of 15 Old 01-27-2010, 01:44 PM

View jlhaslip's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to jlhaslip
* spam *
post #6 of 15 Old 01-27-2010, 02:14 PM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
US trade deficit with China

NOTE: All figures are in millions of U.S. dollars:

China is the largest foreign holder of American debt...care to guess how much of this is wood products ? (it starts with a capital B)

http://www.globaltimber.org.uk/ChinaIllegalImpExp.htm

China - illegal imports
A high proportion of China's imports of wood-based products are associated with illegality - here defined as "in conflict with either the letter or intent of the law or otherwise associated with corrupt practice".

Neither the State Foresty Administration nor the Ministry of Commerce appear (willing or) able to take responsibility for the manufacture and trade of illegal wood-based products. The clear and increasing weakness of Beijing relative to local government is a major handicap to both these institutions.

The following percentages are based on those which are estimated in "Which 10 Bilateral Flows Have Most Salience to International Effort Against "Illegal Timber"? They pertain solely to China's (production and imports) in 2007 - other percentages might be approriate in other years or for other importing countries. Indeed, China's imports from any given country are likely to contain a greater proportion of Illegal Timber than any those of other importing country.

China - illegal exports
The table above indicates that 30% -40% of industrial consumption (IRW production + imports) by China's Timber sector might comprise Illegal Timber. In addition to that illegality in raw materials supply, estimates of the Illegal Timber content of China's exports should reflect (a) the extent of fraud in the description of the exported products, (b) compliance with environmental, planning, financial, labour and other regulations pertaining to their manufacture, and (c) composite products might have either a Legal Timber cores and Illegal Timber outer surface or vice versa. Consequently, it would seem reasonable to assume rather more than 40% of China's Timber sector exports comprise Illegal Timber. It would likewise seem reasonable to assume that llegal Timber accounts for more than one quarter of China's Paper sector exports - perhaps more given that the leading manufacturer accounts for much of China's imports of pulp from Indonesia and has been conspicuous as a buyer of Illegal Timber (as pulpwood) grown in China. That enterprise, through its parent group Sinar Mas and with one of China's major petrochemical groups (CNOOC) is promoting the conversion of natural forest in Papua to palm plantations for agro-fuel.

...I could fill several pages, but no one else gives a crap-so I won't get on a soapbox. I just threw a couple things out there for general consumption.

I would have just deleted the OP, another mod can feel free to (I already deleted one similar) but I wanted to throw my $.02 in first on "China wood" for some of you to think about...especially if you are not working in the US wood industry anymore and wonder why.

Last edited by Daren; 01-27-2010 at 02:20 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Daren For This Useful Post:
smokey1945 (12-31-2012)
post #7 of 15 Old 01-27-2010, 02:51 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Even more reason not to buy

Chinese Plywood from the box stores. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #8 of 15 Old 01-27-2010, 10:48 PM

View Jacktoo's Photo Album My Photos
Not to worry, China has already started hanging themselves out to dry (lead paint on children's toys, poison drywall, plywood that delaminates, etc. etc.!!!!!!! Everyone just wait a little while longer, it's showing up on tools day after day! (fields overheating, armatures just falling apart, etc. I've seen first hand many, many times! Do I know how fix their screw ups? Yes! Am I going to tell them? HELL NO! Do they know how to fix them? Maybe, but why don't they? Did you every wonder why you can't even throw a rock without hitting a reconditioned tool! I hope to hell that I never get my hands a saw blade that they made, I'll probably have pieces of carbide flying throughout my shop!

I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but I had to vent!

Jack
post #9 of 15 Old 01-27-2010, 11:14 PM
What Wood I Do

View gregL's Photo Album My Photos
Buy American !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Who Dat...Every step of any project should be considered your masterpiece if you want the finished product to reflect the quality of your work. Have a nice day, unless you have other plans! "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
Greg Little
post #10 of 15 Old 01-28-2010, 08:15 AM

View joesdad's Photo Album My Photos
Agree...stop buying your kids these junk Chinese off road vehicles too. They make them to look like the Japanese big four models and sell them for half the cost. They're the pos's they sell at Tractor Supply, Harbor Freight etc.

Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them.
-Albert Einstein :http://armandj.com
post #11 of 15 Old 01-28-2010, 10:26 AM

I don't just blame China or other countries that have low or slave labor, I blame our own government for not doing their jobs and thinking things thru as far as global trade. It should have been global trade and fair wage act. It's very simple, If a country or business that is not in compliance with global wage, then their products cannot be sold here unless they are willing to pay a very, very high tax ( and trust me it would be a lot higher than our wages would have been!) that goes directly to the American people and not to or thru our government! This includes and not limited to Chrysler, Ford and General motors. Now you would have fair global trade and more jobs throughout the world because now everyone would have a fair wage to enable them to buy products.

Jack
post #12 of 15 Old 01-29-2010, 04:07 PM
No Longer Here

View woodtone's Photo Album My Photos
Jack
I like the way you think, do you realize if your idea was reality, we would have never lost our manufacturing jobs. We have been sold out by our own government and so has other countries.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-31-2010, 10:52 PM

Thanks woodtone, Unfortunately it will never be reality and I've made several attempts to have a discussion with any government official "governor, congressman, senators, etc." and answer a few questions on national television. I guess in this country, we can have a beer summit over BS, but all the mighty ones are afraid of a cabinetmaker/woodworker! In this forum, when a question is asked, we get answers! Send a letter to our government and ask a question. This is the response you will get most of the time, "we will check into this, thank you for your concern" Then you never hear anything about it again.

Jack
post #14 of 15 Old 02-08-2010, 10:43 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
We are the problem, not the Gov. or China.

I have been on this and other forums for a while. I have rarely and I mean rarely saw a post that asked "Where can I buy a good quality widget at a decent price?" It usualy is more like "where can I get the cheapest price on a widget?" Even when someone states that they have a $1500 budget for a table saw, which one should they get? There will invariably be a reply " get the X brand for $350 and fill your shop with the extra money saved". Americans want everything now!!! That is what China what it is.
It is not China's fault that we are greedy and price motivated. This problem we have with our lost economy can not be fixed by legislation.
BTW, I am not totally clean on this issue either.

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B
post #15 of 15 Old 02-08-2010, 05:54 PM

Tony B, You hit the nail right on the head and we are all guilty. Rockler has t-track for $20.00 and Woodstock has it for $10.00. You're right, were a bunch of little cheap asses! We want to get our price when we sell something, but when the shoe is on the other foot we don't want to pay anything, no matter what it is worth or where it came from.

Tags
richwoods.bloombiz.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode