6x6 Douglas Fir Kiln Dried??? Help - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 09-27-2015, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

View longtrail23's Photo Album My Photos
6x6 Douglas Fir Kiln Dried??? Help

Hello All,
I am new to this forum, and I'm looking for some assistance. I am planning to build a couple "built in's" and I was interested in using 6x6 Lumber(possibly Douglas Fir) as posts. I have read about green lumber and not using wood with high moisture to build with. I can't seem to find any 6x6 Lumber Kiln Dried. I live in Long Island and all the 6x6's are pressure treated. I have found some places in New Jersey that carries rough sawn lumber, but i'm concerned about the moisture. Does anyone know of a place where i can buy Kiln Dried 6x6 or is there a place i can bring lumber to who will dry it for me. I don't have much experience, and any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-27-2015, 07:54 PM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
Fir is more of a western product. What you are asking for is available but one or two pieces may be a problem. Doesn't hurt to ask. You might look for timber framers in your area and there is the alternative of salvaged timber.
http://www.canyonlumbercompany.com/kdtimbers.shtml
post #3 of 5 Old 09-27-2015, 08:27 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
I think even if you find a KD, untreated 6X6, it's likely to have checks and not be straight.

I bought porch columns from a lumber yard near me that are made of 4 pieces with lock mitered corners with a hollow center. They are straight, clear and dry. It might be something worth checking on, or possibly make your own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-28-2015, 08:54 AM
red
Papa Red

View red's Photo Album My Photos
If you contact a log home supplier they would have what you're looking for.

Red

Red
post #5 of 5 Old 09-28-2015, 09:01 AM

View Stevedore's Photo Album My Photos
I'm not sure what you mean by "built-ins", but if you don't need 6x6 stock for structural reasons, it seems like it might be overkill. Something assembled from thinner stock as Quickstep described, either purchased or made yourself, would likely be easier to handle & work with, more stable, and less expensive.

The columns on a railing I made for our house many (15?) years ago are assembled from 1x oak, glued up with splined beveled/mitered edges. They're only 4" square, but you get the idea.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode