65 Degree cut on miter saw? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 07-25-2015, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

View newbee1's Photo Album My Photos
Question 65 Degree cut on miter saw?

Hi,

Trying to make a 50 degree angle for wainscoting. Learned that would be 50/2 = 25 -90 = 65 cut on both pieces.

How do I attempt to do this on my miter saw?

Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-25-2015, 03:21 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
your question is confusing to me

Do you want 2 pieces to mate at a 50 degree angle OR is it 65 degrees?

To cut an angle less than 45 degrees you should add a temporary fence/table block at a known angle say 45 degrees. Now your saw can cut 90 degrees - 22 1/2 degrees as shown in the top photo.

To cut angles that are severely acute,like 15 degrees safely, you would do the same and clamp the work piece securely.

Here is a link to the process:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f27/a...iter-saw-9644/

Your setting on the saw is already away from 90 degrees as in the bottom photo. So, if you want a 65 degree actual angle, set the saw to 25 degrees.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 07-25-2015 at 03:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
Toolman50 (07-25-2015)
post #3 of 6 Old 07-25-2015, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

2 to mate at 50 sir...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-25-2015, 04:57 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
50 it is then...

That means you need two 25 degree pieces. This is where the angles get extremely acute and become unsafe to hand hold. Also, the length of the cut gets "longer" the wider the stock. This gets tricky on a miter saw. A table saw with a taper jig is a better procedure.

Various taper jigs here:
http://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...&hsimp=yhs-006

This is an unusual operation on a miter saw, such that I can't even find an image or video, or link on how to do it. This is as close as I could find showing mounting an auxiliary table and an angled "fence" which you would set to 65 degrees off the back or the stock fence;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQK4LbmEYh4

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 07-25-2015 at 07:22 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-25-2015, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

plan b?

maybe I'm approaching the wrong angles. What would I be able to do strictly on the miter that is safe and no jig required?

The purpose is the molding panels going up the stairwell. I already made molding squares on the walls. Shape would be sorta like a Rhombus angle....

Thanks for the conversation...
post #6 of 6 Old 07-25-2015, 07:14 PM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
Sounds like you are trying to crosscut an angle that is greater than the swing of your miter saw. Some saws will swing up to and some beyond 50 degrees, others stop at 45. To cut an angle greater than the swing of your saw, you have to make a temporary fence that is at an angle. You set the saw to cut 90 degrees, which is straight out, then attach a fence at the 90 degree compliment of the angle you want to cut. You have to provide support for the board since it will be held somewhat perpendicular to the normal saw fence. Clamp the board/molding so it doesn't move and keeps your fingers clear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode