5ft by 10ft Picture Frame - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Ben Buckley

post #1 of 8 Old 08-18-2018, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

View Ben Buckley's Photo Album My Photos
5ft by 10ft Picture Frame

New to the forum and looking for advise.
I have been asked to build a 5' by 10' picture frame for a large map. I am using maple and plexiglass. I need to figure out the back (what to use) and would love some input. The back has to be removable because they are going to want to change the paper map that is in the frame a couple times a year. I was thinking of doing a flush mount with the french cleat, but I am not married to that. I am mostly concerned about the backing and supporting all the weight. The plexi will be about 50lbs by itself. The plexi and maple were chosen by the client so those are the only things I can't change.
Any ideas?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-18-2018, 03:49 PM

View t.carpenter00's Photo Album My Photos
Use cleats. They're about a foot long aluminum, and come as a matched pair. They're cheap, easy to catch on the frame, and hold a lot of weight.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 Old 08-18-2018, 03:59 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Question That's an awful large frame ....

Typically, the frame holds the material to be displayed, artwork a photo, etc. In this case, I would lean towards having the back, mounted inside the frame of course, support the weight of the map and the frame.

Didn't know you could get Plexi in a 60" X 120 " size. It would not be my first choice in protective materials, it's soft and scratches easily, and without extreme care, will crack easily. Glass would weigh too much for a removable/changeable display case. Since it's changed out so often, could a protective coating be applied, without an additional cover? Are these maps kept and stored or disposed of after display? If stored, how? flat or rolled up?

Because of the extreme dimensions, 5 ft X 10 ft, which exceed nominal plywood sizes, 4ft X 8 ft, you may have some procurement issues. In addition, getting this thing on and off the wall will require 2 people, minimum and the ability to lay it out flat and change out the maps.....

This is a challenge I personally would not take on. The restriction on materials is definitely a limitation I would not want to deal with.
One solution is to project the image on the wall and be done with it! Change the image every 10 minutes if you want.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-18-2018, 05:10 PM

View t.carpenter00's Photo Album My Photos
A clear polycarbonate would probably be a better choice...

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 8 Old 09-05-2018, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

View Ben Buckley's Photo Album My Photos
Got it done! I ended just rounding over the edge and keeping it simple. It was a pain and there are quite a few screws that need to come out to change the picture but everyone is happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180905_113552.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	365708  

difalkner and SwampRat like this.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-05-2018, 03:42 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Looks good, Ben, and welcome to the forum! When you get a minute complete your profile with location so it shows in the left panel.

So what's the next project?

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #7 of 8 Old 09-05-2018, 04:47 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Got it done in spite of the odds....

Looks to me like the plywood? backer stays on the wall, and the frame/plexi is removable? The frame might also be 4 separate pieces? What did you actually do?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #8 of 8 Old 09-05-2018, 04:55 PM

View Packard's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Buckley View Post
Got it done! I ended just rounding over the edge and keeping it simple. It was a pain and there are quite a few screws that need to come out to change the picture but everyone is happy.
If the maps are valuable, then I would adhere some single weight mat boards to the backer. These should be acid-free and archival. It will create a barrier between the backer that exists and the maps. The lignins in wood products are acidic and will cause damage to both fabrics and papers.

Single weight is the thickness of oaktag; double weight is like mat board.

https://www.unitedmfrs.com/category_s/1638.htm

There are a few ways to make "acid free" board. The best way is to start with a pulp of material that is not naturally acidic in the first place (cotton). The next is to take materials that are acidic and wash them with sufficient water to remove the acid. The third way is to impregnate the materials with calcium carbonate (Tums). The first two options are very good choices. The acid neutralized (calcium carbonate) paper will lose its neutrality over time, and is not a very good choice.

If these are not collectors' maps then ignore the above.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode