5 1/2” Skilsaw. Model 5510. Saw blade? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 2 Post By woodnthings

post #1 of 9 Old 01-01-2018, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

View 4ND3R5's Photo Album My Photos
5 1/2” Skilsaw. Model 5510. Saw blade?

I recently bought a used 5 1/2” Skilsaw.....I don’t know why they don’t make them anymore. This a great little saw. I can’t find a blade for it though. It’s a 5 1/2” blade with a 1/2” arbor. I can find plenty of 5 1/2” blades, but not the correct arbor size. The only blade I’ve found that “works” has a larger arbor, but comes with a little washer to insert into the arbor hole to make it 1/2”. It doesn’t really work though, the washer eventually always vibrates out of the hole and make the blade all wonky.
Does anybody know where I can get a 5 1/2” saw blade with a 1/2” arbor?
Thanks.
Name:  28E4F31B-4E46-48C3-B417-6B2B163A503E.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  65.7 KB

Name:  54FD4455-1FC5-4B99-BD2D-A8D25E1A2E9B.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  66.1 KB

Name:  06A61A01-1C8C-49DF-8C3F-11A1D5082991.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  48.9 KB

Epicurus....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-01-2018, 12:57 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I searched ....

I searched skil saw 5.5" blade and found this:
https://www.toolbarn.com/skil-75518....utm_medium=cpc

and this:

A better all purpose blade:
https://www.amazon.com/Oshlun-SBW-05...t_sims?ie=UTF8

The "washer" is a bushing/reducer for the arbor and it should fit tightly in the hole ( 5/8") to reduce it to 1/2" for your saw. Use a blue lock tite if it won't stay put. Also use washers on either side that are actually 1/2" ID to hold it in place.
4ND3R5 likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 01-01-2018 at 01:49 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
4ND3R5 (01-01-2018)
post #3 of 9 Old 01-01-2018, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
I searched skil saw 5.5" blade and found this:

and this:

A better all purpose blade:
https://www.amazon.com/Oshlun-SBW-05...t_sims?ie=UTF8

The "washer" is a bushing/reducer for the arbor and it should fit tightly in the hole ( 5/8") to reduce it to 1/2" for your saw. Use a blue lock tite if it won't stay put. Also use washers on either side that are actyually 1/2" ID to hold it in place.
Thanks for the links! Yeah, I tried all sorts of stuff to get the arbor reducer to work, but never succeeded.....so I don’t want to fool around with that type of blade anymore. It looks like the first link you sent has the exact arbor size! I don’t know why I couldn’t find it in all my internet searches. I always find that whenever I have a problem, if you can get another set of eyes on it, it can be easily solved. Thank you.

I don’t know why Skil stopped making these saws....they are awesome. They are light and easy to use. They are great for cutting ply or 2Xs. They are especially nice and easy to use when cutting anything overhead.
Thanks for you help!

Edit: I just checked the link again. On the pic of the blade it says 1/2” arbor....but in the specs it says it has a 3/8” arbor. Weird.

Epicurus....

Last edited by 4ND3R5; 01-01-2018 at 01:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-01-2018, 06:11 AM
J_L

View J_L's Photo Album My Photos
Do you have any machinist friends? I'd see about having a bushing made up that is longer so that it fits just between the washers that surround the blade so it doesn't vibrate out. That would allow you to use off the shelf blades if you needed to run out and pick one up from the big box store.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-01-2018, 07:20 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Yes, get the right bushing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_L View Post
Do you have any machinist friends? I'd see about having a bushing made up that is longer so that it fits just between the washers that surround the blade so it doesn't vibrate out. That would allow you to use off the shelf blades if you needed to run out and pick one up from the big box store.
I had to use one of those bushings that came with a new blade and it did not not fit well. An old machinist's trick is to use a center punch at the intersection of the blade and bushing, making a small divot, upsetting and expanding the metal on both sides, in at least 4 places. Locktite will also work.
J_L and 4ND3R5 like this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 9 Old 01-01-2018, 11:41 AM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
The arbor washer is common for many sawblades. I’ve used an arbor washer many times with never a problem. I don’t see how your arbor washer can “vibrate out” if you secure it tightly.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #7 of 9 Old 01-01-2018, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
The arbor washer is common for many sawblades. I’ve used an arbor washer many times with never a problem. I don’t see how your arbor washer can “vibrate out” if you secure it tightly.
It vibrate out because the two washers on each side of the saw blade are not flat across their face, so it doesn’t pinch the abor reducer.

Epicurus....
post #8 of 9 Old 01-01-2018, 08:16 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
In that case, replace the two washers with two large flat washers.
That should do it.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?

Last edited by Toolman50; 01-01-2018 at 08:20 PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-01-2018, 11:47 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Another option if you have a drill press is to buy a blade with a smaller arbor and drill it out to 1/2".
https://www.amazon.com/Freud-D0518x-...KZRK0BVERPCTT3

Then this blade comes with the bushing. https://www.amazon.com/Oshlun-SBW-05...XVD04P0YZCA0MH

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode