Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum (https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php)
-   General Woodworking Discussion (https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/)
-   -   5 1/2” Skilsaw. Model 5510. Saw blade? (https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/5-1-2-skilsaw-model-5510-saw-blade-189362/)

4ND3R5 01-01-2018 12:19 AM

5 1/2” Skilsaw. Model 5510. Saw blade?
 
3 Attachment(s)
I recently bought a used 5 1/2” Skilsaw.....I don’t know why they don’t make them anymore. This a great little saw. I can’t find a blade for it though. It’s a 5 1/2” blade with a 1/2” arbor. I can find plenty of 5 1/2” blades, but not the correct arbor size. The only blade I’ve found that “works” has a larger arbor, but comes with a little washer to insert into the arbor hole to make it 1/2”. It doesn’t really work though, the washer eventually always vibrates out of the hole and make the blade all wonky.
Does anybody know where I can get a 5 1/2” saw blade with a 1/2” arbor?
Thanks.
Attachment 332242

Attachment 332250

Attachment 332258

woodnthings 01-01-2018 12:57 AM

I searched ....
 
I searched skil saw 5.5" blade and found this:
https://www.toolbarn.com/skil-75518....utm_medium=cpc


and this:
https://www.toolbarn.com/skil-75518....utm_medium=cpc

A better all purpose blade:
https://www.amazon.com/Oshlun-SBW-05...t_sims?ie=UTF8

The "washer" is a bushing/reducer for the arbor and it should fit tightly in the hole ( 5/8") to reduce it to 1/2" for your saw. Use a blue lock tite if it won't stay put. Also use washers on either side that are actually 1/2" ID to hold it in place.

4ND3R5 01-01-2018 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodnthings (Post 1841034)
I searched skil saw 5.5" blade and found this:
https://www.toolbarn.com/skil-75518....utm_medium=cpc


and this:
https://www.toolbarn.com/skil-75518....utm_medium=cpc

A better all purpose blade:
https://www.amazon.com/Oshlun-SBW-05...t_sims?ie=UTF8

The "washer" is a bushing/reducer for the arbor and it should fit tightly in the hole ( 5/8") to reduce it to 1/2" for your saw. Use a blue lock tite if it won't stay put. Also use washers on either side that are actyually 1/2" ID to hold it in place.

Thanks for the links! Yeah, I tried all sorts of stuff to get the arbor reducer to work, but never succeeded.....so I don’t want to fool around with that type of blade anymore. It looks like the first link you sent has the exact arbor size! I don’t know why I couldn’t find it in all my internet searches. I always find that whenever I have a problem, if you can get another set of eyes on it, it can be easily solved. Thank you.

I don’t know why Skil stopped making these saws....they are awesome. They are light and easy to use. They are great for cutting ply or 2Xs. They are especially nice and easy to use when cutting anything overhead.
Thanks for you help!

Edit: I just checked the link again. On the pic of the blade it says 1/2” arbor....but in the specs it says it has a 3/8” arbor. Weird.

J_L 01-01-2018 06:11 AM

Do you have any machinist friends? I'd see about having a bushing made up that is longer so that it fits just between the washers that surround the blade so it doesn't vibrate out. That would allow you to use off the shelf blades if you needed to run out and pick one up from the big box store.

woodnthings 01-01-2018 07:20 AM

Yes, get the right bushing!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by J_L (Post 1841114)
Do you have any machinist friends? I'd see about having a bushing made up that is longer so that it fits just between the washers that surround the blade so it doesn't vibrate out. That would allow you to use off the shelf blades if you needed to run out and pick one up from the big box store.

I had to use one of those bushings that came with a new blade and it did not not fit well. An old machinist's trick is to use a center punch at the intersection of the blade and bushing, making a small divot, upsetting and expanding the metal on both sides, in at least 4 places. Locktite will also work.

Toolman50 01-01-2018 11:41 AM

The arbor washer is common for many sawblades. I’ve used an arbor washer many times with never a problem. I don’t see how your arbor washer can “vibrate out” if you secure it tightly.

4ND3R5 01-01-2018 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toolman50 (Post 1841562)
The arbor washer is common for many sawblades. I’ve used an arbor washer many times with never a problem. I don’t see how your arbor washer can “vibrate out” if you secure it tightly.

It vibrate out because the two washers on each side of the saw blade are not flat across their face, so it doesn’t pinch the abor reducer.

Toolman50 01-01-2018 08:16 PM

In that case, replace the two washers with two large flat washers.
That should do it.

Steve Neul 01-01-2018 11:47 PM

Another option if you have a drill press is to buy a blade with a smaller arbor and drill it out to 1/2".
https://www.amazon.com/Freud-D0518x-...KZRK0BVERPCTT3

Then this blade comes with the bushing. https://www.amazon.com/Oshlun-SBW-05...XVD04P0YZCA0MH


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome