A 37 " wide rip - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 09-28-2009, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
A 37 " wide rip

The twin engine 84" span saw earned it's keep today. I had to rip a 37" piece of hard board to place a broken back on an entertainment center. (It fell off the planks into the rocks at the sellers house when someone let go too soon.) This was the heaviest piece of furniture I've had to move in a long while. Well, back to the cut. Sure, I could have subtracted from 48 and ripped a 11" wide minus the saw kerf. But why not use the full width capability? Then I cross cut the piece to 47 3/4", just because I could. I wish I had a panel saw, but that's probaly not gonna happen anytime soon. bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1202.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	10898  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1204.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	10899  

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-28-2009, 11:36 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
A twin engine tablesaw, and a shop with a view.....you're a sick man! ... and I'm so jealous!
post #3 of 8 Old 09-29-2009, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

Yeah. I know

Do you know any cures, other than buying an new tool now and then or some really "sick" wood? I'll post a picture out the other windows after you've recuperated. A 100 acre lake owned by the state and I own the only house on it. bill
Attached Images

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-29-2009, 07:33 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Bill...ya gotta get them clamps hung up!!!

post #5 of 8 Old 09-29-2009, 02:24 PM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
Bill,
There has to be a story behind that table saw set up!

I see 4 saw blade slots and 8 miter gage slots.

What? How? Why?

Actually the long fence rails across two saws is a brilliant idea!

But alas, a missed opportunity for the best of both worlds. Neither saw is a right tilt.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-29-2009, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

4 saw inserts, 8 miter slots and rest of the story

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrich View Post
Bill,
There has to be a story behind that table saw set up!
I see 4 saw blade slots and 8 miter gage slots.
What? How? Why?
Actually the long fence rails across two saws is a brilliant idea!

But alas, a missed opportunity for the best of both worlds. Neither saw is a right tilt.
The saws are 12" motorized Craftsman, on sale for $499.00 in the 80's, the 2 tables, one from a parts saw from the 60's the other from the "parts" department at Sears for $130.00. The Why is easy. Why not? You can't have too much ammo, too many horse power, or too large a table saw. Actually, I was in a pro cabinet shop today and saw a table built around an old Unisaw that had to be 10ft wide and 8ft deep. We, my buddy, who makes the awesome doors and I, picked up a $15,000 used Holz-her panel saw for $550. "We usually scrap this stuff, we just want it gone, we're getting a new one $35,000 .....I got his business card just in case! Anyway, my warped mind came up with the idea of bolting everything together when I finally got a shop big enough to handle it. It is a great sheet goods saw, but I'm waiting for another "deal" on a panel saw. Probably the best deal my buddy will ever get, says he. In the right hand saw I have a dedicated dado head, and a sacrificial fence for rabbets for cabinet backs and such. The left hand saw I have a $30 Freud Diablo 10" 40 tooth blade which I still can't believe how well it cuts. Dust collection is off the bottom and with the overarm home built, off the blade. PVC 2" cost all of $10.00 not including the shop vac and the bracket. It swivels, pivots, rotates and... sucks.
One line to the 220V is all I need since only one saw runs at a time. The off switch is a knee kick away when I get in a jamb. I like some features of the Delta Unifence, but my favorite is the Beisemeyer, because it squares itself every time you clamp it down.
I'll let the right tilt comment go unanswered. And that's the rest of the story. bill

post #7 of 8 Old 09-30-2009, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

Clamp cart complies C-man?

[quote=cabinetman;96852]Bill...ya gotta get them clamps hung up!!!

The clamp cart is under development and I will resume work on it when I get to the bottom of the "other" list. It ain't much to look at but it holds a ton of clamps in a small footprint. The tall one are a pain to get out (watch out for the light fixtures!)...further development is necessary..... bill
Attached Images

post #8 of 8 Old 10-01-2009, 08:13 PM

View Jeremy E's Photo Album My Photos
Truly decadent!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode