• 1 Post By shoot summ
  • 1 Post By johnep
  • 1 Post By Toolman50
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By allpurpose

post #1 of 11 Old 08-03-2017, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

View tylerdru90's Photo Album My Photos
$30,000 for the whole shop.

I've been seeing this ad for a few weeks now. Kinda waiting to see if he starts parting anything out. It looks like he went all out buying equipment and then barely used it at all. At first he wanted to trade for an old chevy. Maybe a 1957.
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/t...248022671.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by tylerdru90; 08-03-2017 at 11:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-04-2017, 07:33 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Helped with one similar to this years ago.

It was like the guy decided he was a wood worker, and started buying stuff. It was like he just opened the catalogs, and started ordering. Even brand spanking new in the package stuff only sells for about 1/2 of retail at best it seems.

Based on the pictures he had posted I came up with about $15K just using rough used pricing for everything, there could be +/- 20-30% on that, but $30K is completely out of the park...
Catpower likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-04-2017, 07:48 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
I was often tempted to buy a tool I liked the look of. Stuck to a policy of only buying a tool when I had a specific job needing it.
johnep
bargoon likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to johnep For This Useful Post:
mangorockfish (08-08-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-04-2017, 08:04 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
It took a lot of work just to come up with that inventory list.

GMC
post #5 of 11 Old 08-04-2017, 09:43 AM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
I think it is silly to list things by retail prices on CL as if that has anything to do with what something will actually sell for. I don't care what it sold for new, sells for new, can be replaced for or the owner thinks it is worth.

I want to know, what do you want for it?

Then, I can decide what I will offer or pay.

A guy was recently selling a fence and rail system. He didn't list an asking price. He did however list the price of individual components of the front rail, the front rail support, the back rail and the fence.Who cares what the replacement cost of new individual components is for a fence and rail system that was included with a saw. What do you want for it.

I would look through his list of tools and if I wanted something I might make an offer for that. But, I have no interest in bailing someone out for their bad decisions.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-04-2017, 12:10 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
He is asking for more than it will ever sell for, but if he had an auction in N Texas he would probably get double of what he is asking

I used to do the auction thing, and you could pick up some bargains 30-40 years ago the last few I have been to around here idiots are bidding more then the retail price was new
post #7 of 11 Old 08-04-2017, 01:34 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
There's always the asking price and the taking price.
I think Someone with cash in hand can negotiate a better deal.
His widow will sell everything cheap just to get rid of it. Ha.
Catpower likes this.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #8 of 11 Old 08-04-2017, 01:59 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
that whole idea is bogus ...

It's not like you come out of the womb or the bar and say... I need an entire woodworking shop.
These shops are evolved slowly over many years as we all know. You can say ... I'd like to do some woodworking, but you can't say I have all these tools, now I AM a woodworker either, which is what this fellow apparently thought.

They will end up selling it part by piece OR will settle for a substantial reduction to get rid of it all at once. Cash in hand is a powerful motivator as suggested.
Catpower likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 08-04-2017 at 04:04 PM.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-04-2017, 02:07 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by subroc View Post
I think it is silly to list things by retail prices on CL as if that has anything to do with what something will actually sell for. I don't care what it sold for new, sells for new, can be replaced for or the owner thinks it is worth.

I want to know, what do you want for it?

Then, I can decide what I will offer or pay.

A guy was recently selling a fence and rail system. He didn't list an asking price. He did however list the price of individual components of the front rail, the front rail support, the back rail and the fence.Who cares what the replacement cost of new individual components is for a fence and rail system that was included with a saw. What do you want for it.

I would look through his list of tools and if I wanted something I might make an offer for that. But, I have no interest in bailing someone out for their bad decisions.
I do not think he is listing the $30,000 as a retail price. I think that is the price he wants for the entire inventory.

I just have a feeling that he is not interested in selling it in pieces. He wants to find a buyer who will take the entire bundle.

George
post #10 of 11 Old 08-04-2017, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

View tylerdru90's Photo Album My Photos
I think it is a great deal for someone who just happens to be looking for just about the whole shop at once. It is not likely that person will come along though. If I had $20,000 laying around I'd throw that cash offer out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #11 of 11 Old 08-05-2017, 08:29 AM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
I see ads like these all the time here in Columbia, someone invests a boat load of cash in equipment only to later find out they can't really make a living with all of those snazzy pieces of equipment.
I look around my shop and I doubt that I have more than 3 items that cost over $100 new much less used. My planer the exception and even it was only $200 used.
People love to over estimate their value. As my father once said, and I quote, "I'd like to buy him for what he's worth and sell him for what he thinks he's worth."
Boy howdy! We'd clean up doing that, eh?
Toolman50 likes this.

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode