$3,000 hand planes?? really?? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 25 Old 12-17-2012, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

View jimmyjames's Photo Album My Photos
$3,000 hand planes?? really??

I was trolling around the net and i came across a woodworker that does everything by hand, hand planes, hand saws etc, he had about 8 different hand planes/jointers all custom made by that company over in europe that are about $2-$3,000 each.... I understand wanting to work with your hands etc and doing things like the "olden days" but when you spend $20,000 on hand planes and it takes you 3 years to build a shelf, whats the point? For the money he spent on those hand planes alone i could have every woodworking tool i would ever need and whip out furniture faster than i could bring in the lumber....and have the same degree of detail and accuracy....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 12-17-2012, 01:05 AM
Log dog

View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjames
I was trolling around the net and i came across a woodworker that does everything by hand, hand planes, hand saws etc, he had about 8 different hand planes/jointers all custom made by that company over in europe that are about $2-$3,000 each.... I understand wanting to work with your hands etc and doing things like the "olden days" but when you spend $20,000 on hand planes and it takes you 3 years to build a shelf, whats the point? For the money he spent on those hand planes alone i could have every woodworking tool i would ever need and whip out furniture faster than i could bring in the lumber....and have the same degree of detail and accuracy....
Oh that must be John ray. Laughing!!!!!

When it's rustic......it's rustic
post #3 of 25 Old 12-17-2012, 01:37 AM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
I know someone that collects hand planes. He has one going back to the middle of the 19th century. I had the privilege to try it out on some mahogany. He claims that it is worth about $18K.

Personally I think that the Veritas works better for a lot less money.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 12-17-2012, 03:19 AM

View trc65's Photo Album My Photos
It takes all kinds, some people are collectors, some are woodworkers and some have more money than they know what to do with. I'm with you JJ, if I had that money to spend I wouldn't buy a $3000 hand plane.

"Good Behavior is the last refuge of mediocrity" -- Henry S. Haskins
post #5 of 25 Old 12-17-2012, 07:11 AM

View troyd1976's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to troyd1976
Well, maybe it was made of some ultra rare metal for Norma Abrams? lol
post #6 of 25 Old 12-17-2012, 08:15 AM

View Fred Hargis's Photo Album My Photos
I was reading a review that Schwarz did on a hand plane in PWW a year or so ago. It was a Holtey infill plane. Those sell for over $9K (US). I guess the Brits really love their planes.

"I long for the days when coke was a cola and a joint was a bad place to be" (Merle Haggard)
post #7 of 25 Old 12-17-2012, 10:18 AM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
While searching for something I came across the site http://www.thebestthings.com

I navigated to the various pages and found the Plane list.

Karl Hotley smoothing plane is $7,4000.

http://thebestthings.com/newtools/ka...tey_planes.htm

I have seen other hand planes which were in the $2,000 - $3,000 range, but forget the brand.

If someone can afford to pay the price of the workmanship involved, good for them. I can appreciate the quality and workmanship, but too rich for my budget though.
post #8 of 25 Old 12-17-2012, 10:42 AM

View mengtian's Photo Album My Photos
I highly doubt the guy cares about how long anything takes. I am starting at woodworking and quite frankly just enjoy being in my garage working on something and watching Star Trek. I have done two projects in the last three weeks which honestly could have been done in a day. But I am enjoying the experience of using power tools and hand tools.

Yesterday I did my first successful M&T joint with out any power tools. Fit like a glove
post #9 of 25 Old 12-17-2012, 01:02 PM
master sawdust maker

View Wema826's Photo Album My Photos
Tomato, Tomaato.....

Holtey, Anderson, Sauer & Steiner, all high end hand plane makers. Unfortunately all way too rich for my budget as well. But I think Christopher Schwarz said it best. (not an exact quote) " Buy only a few tools, But buy top quality tools".

If you have seen the episode of The Wood Wrights Shop the one where Chris and Roy go through Chris' tool box you will see his Infill smoother plane. I think its a Daede . Also his sliding bevel gauge is made by an Australian gentleman named Chris Vesper and it cost something like $250 - $300.....

John,

Confidence does not come from always being right. It comes from not being afraid to be wrong.
post #10 of 25 Old 12-17-2012, 01:07 PM
Senior junior member

View Woodwart's Photo Album My Photos
All my old Stanleys and even some knodk-offs work fine, and I bought them all used, mostly for about $25. One of my best planes is a 120 year old 18" wooden plane. I can't even afford Veritas, let alone planes at prices I can get a car for.
post #11 of 25 Old 12-17-2012, 01:34 PM

View Fred Hargis's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wema826 View Post

If you have seen the episode of The Wood Wrights Shop the one where Chris and Roy go through Chris' tool box you will see <snip> his sliding bevel gauge is made by an Australian gentleman named Chris Vesper and it cost something like $250 - $300.....

I hadn't seen that episode, nor heard of those bevels. I looked 'em up and can tell you I'd LOVE to have one. Just not in the cards though.

"I long for the days when coke was a cola and a joint was a bad place to be" (Merle Haggard)
post #12 of 25 Old 12-17-2012, 05:38 PM
master sawdust maker

The episode was the current season. like 3 or 4 weeks ago. i got it DVR'ed. but dont remember the title.

John,

Confidence does not come from always being right. It comes from not being afraid to be wrong.
post #13 of 25 Old 12-17-2012, 05:48 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hargis View Post
I hadn't seen that episode, nor heard of those bevels. I looked 'em up and can tell you I'd LOVE to have one. Just not in the cards though.
I also had to look these up. They do seem to be very well made.

Not in the cards for me either.

I did splurge on the Veritas sliding bevel earlier in the year. I like the mechanism.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...36,50298,43508
post #14 of 25 Old 12-17-2012, 06:00 PM

View nblasa's Photo Album My Photos
I can understand having a collection, and if you've actually got the cash and the interest I could even understand collecting rare and expensive planers. I could not comprehend ever taking it to a block of wood, though. I'd still use something that wouldn't make me sob like a baby if I accidentally dropped it on my shop floor
post #15 of 25 Old 12-17-2012, 06:07 PM

View Kahlua's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Paine View Post
While searching for something I came across the site http://www.thebestthings.com

I navigated to the various pages and found the Plane list.

Karl Hotley smoothing plane is $7,4000.

http://thebestthings.com/newtools/ka...tey_planes.htm

I have seen other hand planes which were in the $2,000 - $3,000 range, but forget the brand.

If someone can afford to pay the price of the workmanship involved, good for them. I can appreciate the quality and workmanship, but too rich for my budget though.
Other than the wood parts, most of those planes are probably CNC milled out of larger stock and then put together by hand. There's maybe a few hundred dollars in materials and labor involved with those. I don't know how he can command a price like that though.
post #16 of 25 Old 12-17-2012, 06:16 PM

View trc65's Photo Album My Photos
Price is not determined by cost of manufacture, but by perception and whatever you can get someone to pay!

"Good Behavior is the last refuge of mediocrity" -- Henry S. Haskins
post #17 of 25 Old 12-17-2012, 10:10 PM

View Evilfrog's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc65 View Post
Price is not determined by cost of manufacture, but by perception and whatever you can get someone to pay!
I would gladly pay $3,000 for some of those if I made upwards of around $250,000.00.
post #18 of 25 Old 12-17-2012, 10:18 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
Not me......I dislike hand tools!!! Now if you could find me a 20,000 dollar table saw we might be in business!!!
post #19 of 25 Old 12-17-2012, 10:31 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
I got a table saw I'll sell you for 20k ;-)

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #20 of 25 Old 12-17-2012, 10:37 PM
master sawdust maker

Found the name of the Wood Wrights episode that shows those tools he has. its ironically called "the Anarchist tool chest" ..... go figure!

John,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode