2x4 ripped lengthwise - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 01-20-2018, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
2x4 ripped lengthwise

Anybody have carpenter bees? I resawed this board that had been on my house. It had only one or two entry holes.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-20-2018, 10:05 PM
Sawing against the Wind

View Tennessee Tim's Photo Album My Photos
YES and they don't care what they chew on!!!! This is a Eastern Red Cedar beam out from under a 1800 log cabin...I was surprised when I squared up for a replacement in a 1860's house. I'd always heard they won't bother cedar....WRONG....we also worked on a mid 1900's barn with ERC log rafters....the bees were wearing them out.

Does anyone now with facts, when introduced or IF they've always been here in USA??? I just noticed more damage in the last 20 years.

Hey Jay White Cloud..... any history as to always been a problem and a natural cure????

Sorry not the best pics.

Name:  0128172019.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  62.7 KB

Name:  0128172048.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  69.5 KB

Name:  0128172021.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  70.8 KB

Have a Blessed and Prosperous day in Jesus's Awesome Love, Tim
........www.TSMFarms.com.......... John 3:16-21 ..........
Reveling God's awesome beauty while creating one of-a-kind flitches and heirlooms.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-20-2018, 10:22 PM
The Nut in the Cellar

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
I built a large two level deck at our old home using TYP . After twenty years, I tore it down and replaced it with concrete. During the tear down, I found quite a bit of their tunnels in the timbers under the decking. It gave me another reason for replacing the deck as I had grown quite tired of the maitenance it required.

Jim Frye
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
"Sawdust is Man Glitter"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-20-2018, 10:34 PM
Former Member

View 35015's Photo Album My Photos
Steve Neul...!!!...That sucks man!!!...so sorry...

Hi Tim (et al) thanks for asking...

Point of validation...

I am trying really hard to improve my varied writing styles as I have been trying to pull a few books together over the last decade. I think, sometimes (99.9% sure) I come accross as too blunt or outlandishly opinionated...Sorry to everyone for sounding that way when and/or if I do to anyone...

Reason (not excuses mind you) for this is a very eclectic and esoteric career history...which ties into this current post. I was (among other things back in the 80's and 90's) a state supervisor for Wildlife and Pest Control for the state of Connecticut. Carpenter Bees (Xylocopa genus) of the Hymenoptera (ants, bees, wasps, hornets, etc) are the scourge of woodworkers!!!!

Native species...yes.

Found in some form just about anywhere there are trees...YIKES!!!!...and UH-OH!!!

This is because (like Carpenter Ant species) they are...wood nesters...NOT wood eaters. As such they will chew on just about anything they can and actully prefer softer species of wood pressure treated or not very often on bad years like the past few (bio rhythms, climate shifting and all that jazz...as it is now.)

As you have all learned they will go after Cypress (what we call cedars) and Junipers, and just about anything else these little Sh_ _ A_ _es can destroy wood from the inside out. One or a few more "ingress points" and they will chamber out year after year different nests that will empty a section of wood except for the skin of it...

They don't like hard woods (for the most part) tend to stay completely away from Locust, Catalpa wood, and if traditional methods of treatment are to be applied...it seems...Tulip Poplar (actually a magnolia) actually works best in keeping these little beasts away...bad years perhaps being the acceptation. Trapping is still the best method of control and swatting them dead whenever you can with a Bad-mitten Racket...

Would a post thread of there own be of interest Steve? or Tim? I could pull one together if of interest to our readers?

Last edited by 35015; 01-20-2018 at 10:38 PM.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-20-2018, 10:44 PM
Sawing against the Wind

View Tennessee Tim's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the reply Jay.....interest....YES....BUT it's your time involved... a link would be as handy....done the BAD MITTEN thing....fun for a while BUT....they end up winning in time!!!!!

Have a Blessed and Prosperous day in Jesus's Awesome Love, Tim
........www.TSMFarms.com.......... John 3:16-21 ..........
Reveling God's awesome beauty while creating one of-a-kind flitches and heirlooms.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-20-2018, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I wonder how you get rid of the bees? At one time or another I've sprayed insecticide in the entry holes and they keep coming back.

In this case it's no big deal the board was bad. I just try to recycle wood whenever I can and this board was weathered on the surface but solid, or seemed so. I was really stunned when I cut the board and turned it over saw all the damage that was done, I had no idea. I think in the future I need to try harder to get rid of the bees.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-20-2018, 10:58 PM

View scott67's Photo Album My Photos
When I was growing up my grandfather's garage had hundreds making holes into the rafters. They are pests but they make the most perfect round holes, better than a round drill. He never did find a way to get rid of them. He left them alone and they did not bother any of his wood projects.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-21-2018, 11:32 AM

View Maylar's Photo Album My Photos
One pest can control another. White faced hornets are at the top of the food chain and they eat other bugs and wasps. Not sure about carpenter bees, but the white face is particularly fond of yellow jackets. They keep to themselves unless threatened, so not so much of a threat to people.

I had a rather large nest fall from a tree in my yard last fall during hurricane Jose. Before that there were no yellow jackets in the area, now there is. I hope the hornets come back.

Dave in CT, USA
post #9 of 11 Old 01-29-2018, 09:32 PM

View mmwood_1's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maylar View Post
They keep to themselves unless threatened, so not so much of a threat to people.
Really? I have found them to be as aggressive as yellow jackets. In fact, I was about 150' from a nest, on the opposite side of a house back in the yard when one came flying by, didn't even land on me, but simply stung me on the fly as it went past. I steer way clear of those guys.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-30-2018, 10:58 AM

View Maylar's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwood_1 View Post
Really? I have found them to be as aggressive as yellow jackets. In fact, I was about 150' from a nest, on the opposite side of a house back in the yard when one came flying by, didn't even land on me, but simply stung me on the fly as it went past. I steer way clear of those guys.
The nest in my yard was probably 30 ft up in a tree, right by my driveway. I never even saw one until the day the nest fell. Maybe they were too busy eating yellow jackets to be bothered by me.

Dave in CT, USA
post #11 of 11 Old 01-30-2018, 12:01 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
We got rid of the ones around here when we first got here by giving our son and his buddy badminton rackets and got them to see who could kill the most of them, it worked pretty good as we have very few here, but I think what might have worked the best was spraying all the exposed wood in my shops with Lorsban

Carpenter bees are generally pretty docile, but their bumble bee cousins arn't, they do look somewhat alike, but carpenter bees are generally darker

There is no app for experience

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode