2 part epoxy - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Cowboy18
  • 1 Post By TTOKC

post #1 of 12 Old 11-01-2017, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Sawdust Maker

View TTOKC's Photo Album My Photos
2 part epoxy

I am working on a table with some reclaimed lumber that has some splits in it that I have been filling with 2 part epoxy. This is my first time using anything besides a small dab of 5 minute epoxy in the little tubes from Lowes and I have been learning some of the pros and cons to making it a 1/2 cup at a time.

My question is, can I add a little bit of the stain that I will use on the table to color match the epoxy? Or will it adversely affect the epoxy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-01-2017, 06:38 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTOKC View Post
I am working on a table with some reclaimed lumber that has some splits in it that I have been filling with 2 part epoxy. This is my first time using anything besides a small dab of 5 minute epoxy in the little tubes from Lowes and I have been learning some of the pros and cons to making it a 1/2 cup at a time.

My question is, can I add a little bit of the stain that I will use on the table to color match the epoxy? Or will it adversely affect the epoxy?
It'll adversely affect the epoxy. There are some colorants that can be used in epoxy, wood stain is not one of them

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #3 of 12 Old 11-01-2017, 06:47 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
It will ruin the epoxy to add wood stain to it. You need to use a pigment made for epoxy. http://www.ebay.com/bhp/epoxy-resin-colorant

Can you post a picture? 1/2 cup of epoxy at a time, that's an awful lot of epoxy to be filling with. Be sure to let it dry a couple weeks before sanding it. Epoxy like everything else shrinks and you need to let it harden completely before sanding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-01-2017, 06:53 PM

View mackman's Photo Album My Photos
I would think that no matter what colorant you use, the epoxy is going to be obviously epoxy. Why not embrace it and make the cracks pop with some colored glass or gold powder?
post #5 of 12 Old 11-01-2017, 08:31 PM

View Cowboy18's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTOKC View Post

Disclaimer I have read what these other folks have told you. I do not claim they are wrong, and I am wright. There is no question I color outside the lines, and have paid the price for doing so on afew occasions.

I have added a teaspoon full of stain to 3/4 Solo Cup worth of two part apoxy. It had no adverse effect. However, some pours are more forgiving then others.
The deeper and wider the pour, the less room for error. Your mixing is key, if you mix your apoxy "Hot", meaning too much hardener, it will crack on you within 3 to 5 days. If you mix your apoxy "cool", meaning more apoxy then hardener. It will take two or three days to dry, and be more flexable when finally hardened. You never want to mix "hot", however on a handful of occasions I have needed a piece to have flex to it, and have purposely mixed "cool".

50/50 is ideal for best results. Powdered pigment is the proper coloring agent. Pearl Ex comes in many colors and is basicly all I use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11012017 007.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	322586  

Name:	11012017 008.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	322594  

Attached Images

"Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it"

Thomas Jefferson
post #6 of 12 Old 11-01-2017, 09:30 PM

Picture 1,2 &3
Major pour no room for error, has to be done in 2 or 3 layers, with 4 to5 hours between layers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	882017 040.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	322626  

Attached Images

desertsp likes this.

Thomas Jefferson
post #7 of 12 Old 11-01-2017, 09:45 PM

These are two benches I did mixing liquid Minwax Mahogony stain into the apoxy.
Attached Images

Thomas Jefferson
post #8 of 12 Old 11-02-2017, 08:33 AM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Cowboy,

Thatís cool!!!

One of the things Iíve observed about tinting epoxy with epoxy colorants is that the resulting fill is too monochromatic. Sometimes thatís OK when itís black, but other colors donít look right. Obviously, youíve found a way around that. Can you share some of your methods?
The Following User Says Thank You to Quickstep For This Useful Post:
Cowboy18 (11-02-2017)
post #9 of 12 Old 11-02-2017, 09:02 AM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Interesting thread and posts. There are many ways to do the same thing.
Cowboy18, like the looks of the table. Recently, Woodcraft magazine had something similar to your photo.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineknot_86 For This Useful Post:
Cowboy18 (11-02-2017)
post #10 of 12 Old 11-02-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep View Post
Cowboy,

Thatís cool!!!

One of the things Iíve observed about tinting epoxy with epoxy colorants is that the resulting fill is too monochromatic. Sometimes thatís OK when itís black, but other colors donít look right. Obviously, youíve found a way around that. Can you share some of your methods?

Yes I have found liquid dyes produce boring results. Pearl Ex powder pigments have become my mainstay. Here in Texas everyone does Turquoise inlay, which is beautiful, but has been done to death in my opinion. I provided pictures because as they say, a picture says a thousand words. However, there are a few hard won secrets I keep to myself. That said there are folks on this site that could reproduce my work if they chose too. But nobody could mass produce what I make, they would lose there butt financially. If you have specific questions I would be glad to try and answer them.

Thomas Jefferson
post #11 of 12 Old 11-02-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineknot_86 View Post
Interesting thread and posts. There are many ways to do the same thing.
Cowboy18, like the looks of the table. Recently, Woodcraft magazine had something similar to your photo.

One thing about this internet World everything gets shared. People contact you with all kinds of schemes, promising success and money. I have rich rancher friends of mine, that would bankroll anything I want to do. Of course they want to be a silent partner. I have a lot of freedom, and I cherish it and believe it is the true source of some of my best work. People in my area call me a "Mesquite Artist", I still remember the first time someone called me that. It touched me to my soul, and brought a tear to my eye. Kinda silly and simple, just like me. My gal is very proud of what I do, and it inspires me.

If you are ever able to find yourself in my position, don't ever sell out to no one.

Thomas Jefferson
post #12 of 12 Old 11-02-2017, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Sawdust Maker

View TTOKC's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for all the feedback. The epoxy I bought at woodcraft uses a 2:1 ratio so I mixed up a small batch last night (2 tbsp epoxy to 1 tbsp hardner) and dipped the stir stick in the stain and then mixed it up. Seemed to work out OK. It was nice and hard this morning. I filed the splits in the legs without coloring the epoxy but they are on the back of the back legs. I have a split in the tip to fill and wanted to see if I could darken the epoxy. It looks like using the stain will work.
Attached Images

Cowboy18 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode