1st Post/Need help!!!! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 08-01-2013, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

View Lost 81c10's Photo Album My Photos
1st Post/Need help!!!!

As they say ‘Long Time Listener, First Time Caller”. First of all, I will thank everyone here for all the valuable information you all have provided to me over last few years. I have learned a lot and used a lot of if too. It goes from Tools, shop essentials, jigs, techniques, how-2s…you name it I have learned from folks like you, willing to provided knowledge/experience either here or in other places like this. I have always been in the hobby but over the last four years I have started to get into it more serious (hobby wise). Thank you.
I have recently encountered a problem in my garage/workshop. I have tried to do some research on it, but not much has been found with regards to it so I decided I needed to bring it out and ask, hopefully help anyone else who might be having the same issue (hope not but in case).
What I have is some kind of little bug, small enough to miss if you are not paying attention. They are in different areas of my garage, on counter tops, shelves…it is just a big discouraging thing to make me go out and do any kind of work until I deal with them. I have added a link to a video I took of one and provide better visual to all. Any help you can provide would be valuable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OitS0iWxlDA
I have contacted a pest control co to come out and see what they can do for me. I just want them gone.
I live in south GA and it has been a very hot/humid summer. Don’t know if it has anything to do with that. i have posted my issue in different places as i really need help dealing with this and get back to woodworking. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-01-2013, 05:21 PM

View Wizard1500's Photo Album My Photos
You live in S. Georgia, I live in N. Florida.....bugs are a fact of life....could not tell what they were because it wasn't close enough....pest control is your best bet.....on the lighter side, I have lizards in my shop, from time to time.....big lizards......shotgun quality lizards.....
post #3 of 12 Old 08-01-2013, 05:23 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
And.....this is why I live up north.....lol.

The tools don't make the craftsman....
The Following User Says Thank You to ryan50hrl For This Useful Post:
sawdustfactory (08-03-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 08-01-2013, 05:40 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
The Following User Says Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
Lost 81c10 (08-02-2013)
post #5 of 12 Old 08-02-2013, 06:31 AM

View dt1050's Photo Album My Photos
http://www.insectidentification.org/

see if ya can find it on here.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-02-2013, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1500 View Post
You live in S. Georgia, I live in N. Florida.....bugs are a fact of life....could not tell what they were because it wasn't close enough....pest control is your best bet.....on the lighter side, I have lizards in my shop, from time to time.....big lizards......shotgun quality lizards.....
Lol.
My kids like to watch that show about the animal control in the Florida glades and always think about that, in my garage while working and one of these lizards/a gator walking in....
I see where my issue does not compare to yours, but it’s just a bit creepier to think that they might get on me and I drag them into the house without knowing. I know the lizards/gators can do some damage to a person but I just don’t want to do any work in the garage currently
post #7 of 12 Old 08-02-2013, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Well, I wish I had some good or bad news to relate, but the Orkin guy could not tell me what exactly I am dealing with. We were able to capture three in a small clear plastic container because he said he wanted to take them back and inspect them under the microscope and show his boss. So I will have to wait till next week to see if they can tell me.
Here is an observation though. Before we capture them to put in the container, the bugs were full of life and moving fast. We used a piece of writing paper to get them to climb on so we could dump them in the container and so we were able to capture 3 or 4 and they were moving normal upon initial dump in. Well about five minutes later, the bugs were almost dead and not really moving at all. I used a pencil to kind of make them move, but the only thing they would do was just kind of lethargically wiggle their legs. So that was interesting. I did tell him that you guys suggested the bombs and he actually said I would try that too instead of paying the $100+ for treatment. I was like what??? I think maybe since he could not tell me what they are he figured “what can I sell him”. So the saga continues.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-02-2013, 07:07 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I live in South Florida, and the bugs here are worse than the Congo. If they don't fly you're in luck. We have all kinds of lizards, roaches that fly and have a terrific wing span, and iguanas. Most methods will only kill what is exposed. You may try "Yard Guard". It's a fogger, and gets in nooks and crannies.

post #9 of 12 Old 08-02-2013, 08:32 PM

View Wizard1500's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost 81c10 View Post
Lol.
My kids like to watch that show about the animal control in the Florida glades and always think about that, in my garage while working and one of these lizards/a gator walking in....
I see where my issue does not compare to yours, but it’s just a bit creepier to think that they might get on me and I drag them into the house without knowing. I know the lizards/gators can do some damage to a person but I just don’t want to do any work in the garage currently
LOL, I'm not talkin' gators...I've got lizards that get to be about 11 inches long....big, ugly, stripped suckers......
post #10 of 12 Old 08-03-2013, 09:07 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1500 View Post
LOL, I'm not talkin' gators...I've got lizards that get to be about 11 inches long....big, ugly, stripped suckers......
Sounds like a Skink, though a little on the large size. That is about the size of what we have here.

They are nothing to get rid of. They help get rid on bugs/insects. Keep them. They are your friend.

George
post #11 of 12 Old 08-03-2013, 09:38 AM

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
It moves pretty fast are you sure it’s not baby roach?

I went to Georgia to visit my son and the motel rooms were full of cockroaches. we changed rooms and even changed hotels on the second night, but when I complained about them, they said “Oh you must have never been to Georgia before, thats the way of life down here”.

I have spiders and they protect me from most bug except ants

JohnnyB
I’m a die hard DIY guy. Don’t tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.
post #12 of 12 Old 08-04-2013, 06:46 PM
Lector

View Glassnwood's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
Sounds like a Skink, though a little on the large size. That is about the size of what we have here.

They are nothing to get rid of. They help get rid on bugs/insects. Keep them. They are your friend.

George
I live in the panhandle of Fl. I have a large Black snake that lives next to my shop. I like it ...no vipers, palm rats, or mice. We even Keep a bat house on a pole for skeeter control.

Learning to fix your mistake's is very time consuming

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode