14 gallon shop vac filled to capacity with sawdust. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 09-29-2015, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

View skunkbad's Photo Album My Photos
14 gallon shop vac filled to capacity with sawdust.

I normally keep an eye on the shop vac, and change the bag often. It's actually a ridgid 14 gallon model, not a "shop vac". I was out in the garage this evening, working with my son. He commented that the vacuum wasn't sucking well, so we checked the bag, and it was absolutely as full as it could be. It was so full that I couldn't even get it out of the bottom canister. I had to rip the bag and pour it all into a trash can. What a mess.

I know I've been working in the garage a lot, but it's amazing how much sawdust was in there.

Besides getting a bigger shop vac, what's a better solution to all my generated sawdust?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-30-2015, 12:13 AM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
I try to avoid sucking up large amounts of saw dust and sweep those piles outside. About the biggest mess I have created was accidentally filling my dust collector past the baffle ( about 60 gallon of dust ). There is not even any way to release the bag without scooping the dust out until it is below the bottom side of the baffle and the bag is still swelled to big to get out between the frame rails. Then I still had an extremely clogged pleated filter to deal with.

Last edited by hwebb99; 09-30-2015 at 12:16 AM.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-30-2015, 02:28 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkbad View Post
Besides getting a bigger shop vac, what's a better solution to all my generated sawdust?
A separator before the vacuum. This on top of this would give you 33 gallons of collection before anything but the finest dust hit your vacuum, and you wouldnt need to replace a vacuum that seems to work fine.

Id also like to add, im not recommending the dust deputy in particular. Id actually recommend building your own thien-baffle separator, but the dust deputy is easier to hyperlink

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
The Following User Says Thank You to epicfail48 For This Useful Post:
dat (10-02-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 09-30-2015, 03:34 AM

View MEP1's Photo Album My Photos
If you can use a semi-opaque white plastic bucket, you can mount a light behind it so you can see it getting full.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MEP1 For This Useful Post:
dat (10-02-2015), NickDIY (09-30-2015)
post #5 of 13 Old 09-30-2015, 06:54 AM

View retfr8flyr's Photo Album My Photos
Get a Dust Deputy kit and hook it to your vac. http://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD...-1E06240A24A4} You will be amazed at how much better this setup is, your vac will never loose suction.

Earl

Last edited by retfr8flyr; 09-30-2015 at 06:58 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to retfr8flyr For This Useful Post:
MT Stringer (10-01-2015)
post #6 of 13 Old 09-30-2015, 07:42 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
I did something similar on the collector for my media blast cabinet.

It has a device to rattle the housing and supposedly knock debris from the filter, with a small trap at the bottom to dump the fine collections from.

I had noticed the collector seemed to be louder, and the cabinet didn't seem to be clearing as well, with some media spilling out of the top seal. I just wrote it off to a bad seal...

I was on a dumping spree last week, hit the shop vac, dust collector, and then looked at the cabinet collector and thought "I should dump that".

The filter was COMPLETELY packed with fine dust, and was HEAVY.

Took me some time to get it cleaned out, and a huge dust cloud outside.

Amazingly the tank clears now, I can see what I am blasting, and the motor is much quieter...
post #7 of 13 Old 10-01-2015, 12:00 AM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
A dust deputy workers wonders. I have one mounted on a 15 gallon barrel made for food storage.

Name:  image-1117330120.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  109.6 KB
post #8 of 13 Old 10-01-2015, 06:47 AM

View Joeb41's Photo Album My Photos
Good idea on the dust separator. I chose the Rockler because of my space limitations it has to sit under a bench as well as the Shop Vac. The Dust Deputy is a bit too tall for my needs but I think it is more efficient if you have the room.
http://www.rockler.com/dust-right-du...GF9RoCqTPw_wcB

Joe B. 41
post #9 of 13 Old 10-01-2015, 11:05 AM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
+1 for the Dust Deputy.

Mine collects dust from the miter saw, bench top belt sander, and a port where I hook up a hose to the ROS, or router table or anything else that generates dust. It works really well and the shop vac stays clean.

Mine is on a 5 gallon bucket that came with the kit so I can see a shadow of how full it is. It also sits off to the side and is connected with hoses and some 2 inch pvc pipe.

For the big tools (table saw, planer, joiner and drum sander), I have a 2hp HF dust collector with a 30 gallon drum upstream of the fan. The big stuff drops out into the drum via Thein separator.

Here is an old pic when the DD was on a cart. And a pic of the separator for the HF unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130410_123149.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	187601  

Attached Images

Last edited by MT Stringer; 10-01-2015 at 11:08 AM.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-01-2015, 11:59 AM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
Keep some of it. Put a trash bag in a grabage can and fill 2/3 with sawdust. Best place to dump water-based stains, paints or other finishes. When that sets up solid, it's sort of a plastic and doesn't contaminate aquatic ecosystems as the liquids will. I dump left-over acrylic paint mixes into mine.

DON'T use for organic/solvent based waste.
post #11 of 13 Old 10-01-2015, 09:14 PM

View Quo Fan's Photo Album My Photos
I have a Rockler Dust Right Separator powered by a Harbor Freight collector. I like that it is translucent so I can see how full it is getting. I share space with the laundry room, so dust collection is paramount in my shop.

Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-02-2015, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

View skunkbad's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks to everyone who replied. It looks like I'm going to get a dust deputy.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-03-2015, 05:30 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Glad your vac survived.... I wasn't so lucky and burned out the motor in my 22 gallon shop vac... the things burn up pretty quickly when plugged.
That sold me on the dust deputy. I downsized the shop vac to a 12 gal with a motor the same size as the 22 gal, 6.5 HP, and had the same flow and vacuum specs.
I mounted the vac and dust deputy to a shop made cart on wheels so I have the portability. I haven't needed to change the 12 gal bag in 3 years but need to empty the 5 gal bucket on a fairly regular basis.. The only time the bag really gets anything in it is if you let the bucket get full and then the vac starts pulling dust from the bucket.
The bucket is translucent so it is pretty easy to keep an eye on it.
Attached Images

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode