Wrought Iron baluster layout - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 01-31-2009, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
new guy

View drwilson85's Photo Album My Photos
Wrought Iron baluster layout

Im working on remodeling an existing staircase in a house so that its up to code. Mainly because the homeowners have a baby and the old wooden balusters are about 8 inches apart. Im installing treads and risers and wrought iron balusters using the existing handrail and newel posts. This is only the second staircase Ive done and I was wandering if you guys have any tips on how to quickly yet accurately layout the handrail for drilling the holes. On the first staircase I used a Dewalt pocket laser level to shoot a plum line up from the tread layout. Worked ok but a little time consuming. I guess what Im really asking is if anyone knows of a chart or what the formula is based off knowing the pitch and what my spacing is. Id like to be able to just flip the handrail upside down and lay it out, instead of pluming up from each tread. Sorry for the rambling, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-31-2009, 10:57 PM

View Big Dave's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Dave
Laser is gonna be the best way. Otherwise you have to know the exact angle and if your off by the tiniest of margins then the layout will wander.

Do one thing at a time, do it well, then move on.
www.bigdaveswoodworks.com
post #3 of 12 Old 02-01-2009, 12:50 PM

View clampman's Photo Album My Photos
If your treads are pretty level, why not just set the handrail on the treads and square up?

Experience is something you get only just right after you needed it.
http://www.miterclamp.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
Lay the handrail on the stairs and dirill the holes plumb. That is how I have see several stair installers do it. Or get a wixey digital angle gauge and check the angle of the railing while it is in place. then you can set up your drill press or hand drill using the gauge as your angle reference.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
post #5 of 12 Old 02-01-2009, 07:48 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Dr,
Make up a triangle out of a scrap of wood with the base of the triangle being equal to the run of the stairs (tread depth minus the nosing overhang). The second leg forming the right angle should be equal to the rise of the stairs (distance between the top of one tread to the top of the next). Once you cut this up you can make a couple of vertical lines on it to match the spacing on your ballisters. Now you can mark your top rail for drill points and also use the triangle for a drill guide to keep your drill at the proper angle.
Mike Hawkins
post #6 of 12 Old 02-02-2009, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
new guy

Thanks for the advise guys, Im always up for learning new ways to do things.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-02-2009, 08:01 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
Lay the handrail on the stairs and dirill the holes plumb. That is how I have see several stair installers do it. Or get a wixey digital angle gauge and check the angle of the railing while it is in place. then you can set up your drill press or hand drill using the gauge as your angle reference.
Ditto to both ideas.

G
post #8 of 12 Old 02-03-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G
Lay the handrail on the stairs and dirill the holes plumb. That is how I have see several stair installers do it.

If you d
o it that way, you'd better end for end the rail after marking for the holes and before you start drilling or you will be in for a nasty surprise.

Cheers,
Jimc

post #9 of 12 Old 02-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
You mark it correctly and only drill the holes to achieve the correct angle this way.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
post #10 of 12 Old 02-03-2009, 08:23 PM

If you mark the holes with the rail on the stairs like everyone is talking about, you'd better end for end the railing before you drill the holes or you are in for a nasty surprise.

post #11 of 12 Old 03-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Chief pencil holder

View scribbles's Photo Album My Photos
Laser pointer is a waste of time. All you need is a standard 4' level. Mark out the spacing on the floor /cap/ treads you want, if the stair is already stained/lacquered, use masking tape so you have somewhere to mark. Simply level up and mark the side of the rail. Use a small square to transfer the mark to the bottom of the handrail. And drill. If the handrail is already installed/bolted in place you are working upside down. If not flip the rail upside down and end for end and drill straight down. Done.

In California the legal handrail spacing is no gap bigger than 4", so if you are using a standard iron bal do not make your hole center to center spacing bigger than 4.25" and if you are using scrolls you will have a variable spacing.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-05-2009, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
new guy

Well thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it. Finished it a few weeks ago and it turned out pretty good. I ended up just using a level and a small slip square at the same time and it worked pretty good since the handrail was still in place. Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode