Wood expansion question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tennessee Tim

post #1 of 6 Old 03-04-2019, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

View OutdoorSeeker's Photo Album My Photos
Wood expansion question

If I took some oak hardwood and planed it down and routed my own tongue and groove, what would I need to consider for the movement.

This would be 3/4 x 38” x 8” wide planks.
Installed vertically along an 18’ wall for accent.

I have read about finishing both sides of each plank to help with swelling.

What do I need to do for proper installment and spacing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-04-2019, 11:39 AM
No Longer Here

View Tennessee Tim's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorSeeker View Post
If I took some oak hardwood and planed it down and routed my own tongue and groove, what would I need to consider for the movement.

MAJOR moisture control !!!!! 18' can be a lot of movement!!!! If you'll notice a lot of the large wood wall expanses are individual panels to accomodate for the huge possible movements, that can be positive or negative/swell or shrink.

You need to know starting where the wood MC is and what the average room MC is....the 2nd is harder to judge/know. You can incorparate into your design every 2-3 ' a expansion accomodater (longer tongue and deeper groove) for excess movement that OR just build all the T&G boards that way and allow a slight more install room per board. IF you'll notice the newer/modern T&G in past 50 years is getting lesser /shorter to save lumber which equals $$$ in long term for manufacture BUT makes it tougher to accomodate much movement.

A lap joint may be a option to get a slightly larger overlap for precation and have the same basic one side view.

Yes at least seal the back side...this doesn't stop movement ,it slows the change to more balanced pace on both sides which keeps the boards flatter....hardwood flooring has the vapor barrier to accomodate the unfinished side as a finish/balanced proportion.

Maybe this will help.
Brian T likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-04-2019, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Name:  shiplap-pattern-mill-closeup-430-2.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  31.8 KB

Tim I assume this is what your getting at? That would be a lot easier to do.

I tried to talk my wife into a panel type of wainscot, but she really wants the Knotty pine(wide plank) look. So since I have some oak drying in the garage I thought we might go with it.

One who sits in Church and thinks about fishing has religion, but one who thinks about Christ while fishing has a relationship...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-04-2019, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Wood expansion question-959c17ae22016d188bc704a138896ad6.jpg

This is what she wants but does not want the "Styles" that would hide seams if I used a panel board material.

One who sits in Church and thinks about fishing has religion, but one who thinks about Christ while fishing has a relationship...
post #5 of 6 Old 03-04-2019, 08:42 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorSeeker View Post

Over time your biggest problem will be the wood shrinking but that should be minor in most cases. It would be helpful if you knew the moisture content of the wood going into the project. If the wood was very dry and you installed it raw wood and the weather got very humid before you put a finish on it then it might buckle. If you prefinished the wood on both sides and then put it in the house for at least a week and let it accumulate to the house before you installed it you should be alright.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-04-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

I will try to get a MC reading this week Steve.

I just planned my first Hickory 2” thick board this weekend. That lumber has been sitting in my garage for 4+ years and reads 10%. Not sure where the oak sits on MC.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode