Window casing - should I remove sheetrock first? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 10-20-2014, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

View SeanTX's Photo Album My Photos
Window casing - should I remove sheetrock first?

I am going to trim my interior windows with stained wood. The current trim consists of Painted Wood Stool and sheet rock side Jambs. Should I remove the sheet rock before installing my trim? Or, should I just use thinner pieces of wood like 1/4 inch plywood and rip to size?

I've done this once before in a different house (removed the sheet rock) but it didn't turn out the way i wanted it to look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-20-2014, 01:33 PM

View Black540i's Photo Album My Photos
Personally I would remove the sheet rock and install extension jambs on the windows. From the factory they are usually installed by pocket screws that are hidden once the window is installed. You may still be able to do it like that depending on what is in there for insulation.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-20-2014, 06:38 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
The trim should go over the rock if for no other reason to prevent cold drafts in the winter. If the window jamb isn't wide enough I would add to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-24-2014, 01:22 AM

View Texas Wax's Photo Album My Photos
I'd remove the drywall, shim the new jamb (extensions) even reveals with windows, insulate for air infiltration issues
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas Wax For This Useful Post:
MSLiechty (10-28-2014)
post #5 of 6 Old 10-24-2014, 01:25 AM

View Texas Wax's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black540i View Post
and install extension jambs on the windows. From the factory they are usually installed by pocket screws that are hidden once the window is installed.
Not typical here in Texas. Most windows are metal with drywall returns.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-24-2014, 11:06 AM

View wendell white's Photo Album My Photos
Are you going to trim the wall inside ? Like door casing ? Every time I do this, I remove sheet rock ... And painted window stool ... Make new stool to stain and install ... Cut sides and top using 3/4 stain grade ..round over the edge facing out for revel ... Install using shims to square up and correct bad walls ... Then install the stained case trim ... Leaving 1/4 revel on my inside trim .. 3/4 in wood should be same insulating factor than 1/2 in sheet rock and 1/4 wood ...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode