window casing issue - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By John Smith_inFL

post #1 of 4 Old 04-17-2019, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

View ortho1121's Photo Album My Photos
window casing issue

My new home has no window casing. When measuring out the project the surround is not square. If I install the casing plumb then the edge will be uneven. How do I get around this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-17-2019, 04:37 PM
Central Florida

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
I have had the same issue: just frame the opening,
making the special cuts for the corners to match.
(photos would help with more accurate responses).
Jay C. White Cloud likes this.

-- Failure is proof that you at least tried ~ now, go do it again, and again, until you get it right --
post #3 of 4 Old 04-17-2019, 05:30 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho1121 View Post
My new home has no window casing. When measuring out the project the surround is not square. If I install the casing plumb then the edge will be uneven. How do I get around this issue?
It's a lot of trouble but you put the casing on plumb and fill in the difference with drywall mud and sand it. If it's a lot, first fill it with the 5 minute set mud and once it sets up go back over it with the regular mud. The regular mud might take a week or more for a 1/4" to completely dry and then usually cracks where you have to do it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-17-2019, 06:05 PM
Timber Wright-Guide

View Jay C. White Cloud's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho1121 View Post
Hello Ortho,

This is more the "norm" than the exception. In vintage work, much of it was done "by eye."

As John offered the best practice is to not a "patch job." Follow the context to the window placement itself.

Most often the windows "look good" but just aren't plumb and some aren't even level either, yet still look good. As John said..."just frame the opening"...that's the standard and best practice for most that deal with fenestration work traditional or contemporary...Hope that helps?

Good Luck...

Tosa Tomo Designs
Confucius (551 BCE): "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand..." "...Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance..." Socrates:ďI cannot teach anybody anything. I can only help them think..."
Stephen Covey:"Seek to understand, before seeking to be understood..."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode