Where can I find 1/2" trim? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 17 Old 02-09-2010, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

View Smitty258's Photo Album My Photos
Where can I find 1/2" trim?

I just got finished building some built in shelves in a wall between the studs. I used 1/2" plywood to build it. I went to Lowes and couldn't seem to find any 1/2" wide trim to cover up the rough edges of the plywood. I'm just looking for a nice basic finished edge to cover up the edges of my shelves. Something like the 3/4" screen bead I saw there, just in 1/2" Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited by Smitty258; 02-09-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-09-2010, 09:19 AM

View del schisler's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty258 View Post
I just got finished building some built in shelves in a wall between the studs. I used 1/2" plywood to build it. I went to Lowes and couldn't seem to find any 1/2" wide trim to cover up the rough edges of the plywood. I'm just looking for a nice basic finished edge to cover up the edges of my shelves. Something like the 3/4" screen bead I saw there, just in 1/2" Any ideas?

Thanks!
if you have a table saw take a little off both length ?? 1/4" mite not look to bad ? of of each length
post #3 of 17 Old 02-09-2010, 10:09 AM

View kjhart0133's Photo Album My Photos
Get a flush trim bit for your router. Apply over size trim pieces and trim them flush with your new bit before assembly. This will give you perfectly flush edges on your trim pieces. Good luck.

Kevin H.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 02-09-2010, 10:16 AM
What Wood I Do

View gregL's Photo Album My Photos
If you have a table saw your best bet is to make your own trim. That is one of the great things about woordorking..custom making stuff.

Who Dat...Every step of any project should be considered your masterpiece if you want the finished product to reflect the quality of your work. Have a nice day, unless you have other plans! "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
Greg Little
post #5 of 17 Old 02-09-2010, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

I'm VERY new to woodworking and don't have a tablesaw OR router. lol

I also built a bookshelf and entertainment center out of 3/4" plywood, and I plan on using the 3/4" screen bead I saw at Lowes to finish the front of the shelves on those. Do they just not make a ready made screen bead in 1/2"?
post #6 of 17 Old 02-09-2010, 11:14 AM

View jlord's Photo Album My Photos
Just apply the 3/4" to your 1/2" shelves. Set flush with top side & let hang down The 1/4" on bottom side. This would help with sagging. 1/2" ply shelves would not hold too much weight before they start sagging. For shelves in kitchen cabinets etc I make from 3/4" ply with a 1" hardwood edging applied to front with a roman ogee or other detail routed on bottom half of edging. Since you do not have a router you should be able to buy 3/4" material. Ease the edges with sandpaper or buy with a decorative detail. Just a thought.

James
Whittier, CA.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should!
post #7 of 17 Old 02-09-2010, 01:29 PM

View wletson's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlord View Post
Just apply the 3/4" to your 1/2" shelves. Set flush with top side & let hang down The 1/4" on bottom side..
I'm glad I read to the end of the posts. This is exactly what I would have said. So, you have two votes for this idea!

Warren
Owner of 1883 Schoolhouse
post #8 of 17 Old 02-09-2010, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

These shelves won't be holding much weight, so I'm not worried about sag. I designed them to hold Blu-Ray movies. I also didn't design a lot of extra clearance in them, so I'd like to avoid taking 1/4" of space out by having the 3/4" Bead overhanging the front of the shelves. Even though I agree that might look pretty nice!

I guess I got some tinkering to do with this! I guess I should have seen about the availability of 1/2" bead before I just assumed I could get some!

Thanks for all your ideas guys! If you can think of any more then keep 'em coming!
post #9 of 17 Old 02-09-2010, 05:32 PM

View duffer's Photo Album My Photos
You can buy a roll of "edge banding" at Lowes or HD that will work. Simply use your wife's iron to iron them onto the edge. They come in different widths and woods. When you get finished installing it, simply use a razor knife to cut off the excess. You can stain, paint, seal ,etc., whatever finish you want. I use it quite often and am always pleased with the end result.

Hope this helps. The only "tool" you need is an iron.

Duffer
post #10 of 17 Old 02-09-2010, 08:27 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know if hd carries it, but parting stop is 1/2" x 3/4", relatively inexpensive.
Mike Hawkins
post #11 of 17 Old 02-18-2010, 09:48 AM

View Jeremy E's Photo Album My Photos
Book shelf, entertainment center, built-in shelves... Looks like it's time to take the plunge and get yourself a table saw!
post #12 of 17 Old 02-18-2010, 10:54 AM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
I don't know if hd carries it, but parting stop is 1/2" x 3/4", relatively inexpensive.
Mike Hawkins

Mike is this the same as door stop on your door frame? if so I would say yes to that idea or the edge banding.
post #13 of 17 Old 02-19-2010, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy E View Post
Book shelf, entertainment center, built-in shelves... Looks like it's time to take the plunge and get yourself a table saw!
Yeah. It is definitely on my short list for my next large tool purchase. Due to space restrictions I can only do a portable one. I like the ones that fold up and wheel up against the wall.

I built all those shelves just using my good circular saw and one of those aluminum saw guides clamped to the workpiece.
post #14 of 17 Old 02-19-2010, 10:33 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbrown View Post
Mike is this the same as door stop on your door frame? if so I would say yes to that idea or the edge banding.
No,
it's actually what goes in between the sashes in a wooden window. If you look at an older double hung it is the piece of wood separating the two sashes that they both ride against. Most lumberyards carry it, it's pretty common.
Mike Hawkins
post #15 of 17 Old 02-19-2010, 11:02 AM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
No,
it's actually what goes in between the sashes in a wooden window. If you look at an older double hung it is the piece of wood separating the two sashes that they both ride against. Most lumberyards carry it, it's pretty common.
Mike Hawkins
Never heard of it by a name but I know what your talking about now. Learn something new everyday.
post #16 of 17 Old 02-19-2010, 07:32 PM
Cabinetmaker

View skymaster's Photo Album My Photos
+2 on "parting stop" . Other choice is to buy yourself a hand plane, use 3/4, split the diff top and bottom so easier to remove and just plane it flush
post #17 of 17 Old 02-19-2010, 08:16 PM

View jlord's Photo Album My Photos
Parting bead is another name it goes by also.

James
Whittier, CA.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode