What wood to use - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By WeebyWoodWorker
  • 1 Post By firehawkmph
  • 1 Post By BigJim

post #1 of 13 Old 12-07-2018, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

View ortho1121's Photo Album My Photos
What wood to use

Will be installing decorative wall molding using 1x4 and 1x3 lumber. Best choice of wood? Or should I use MDF? It will be painted white.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-07-2018, 06:41 PM
Central Florida

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
a very large percentage of professional interior moldings
and trim are MDF - primed and painted accordingly.
moisture is the killer of MDF. (take that into consideration).

-- Failure is proof that you at least tried ~ now, go do it again, and again, until you get it right --
post #3 of 13 Old 12-07-2018, 11:45 PM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
MDF is nasty is my opinion. If you want cheap go for pine, it'll last longer than MDF and takes better to moisture.

-T
Jay C. White Cloud likes this.

"Dreams are stronger than poison and seize more firmly than disease, once captured one can not escape. It's a real curse, but for adventurers who are dedicated to it, body and soul, people without dreams are more frightening than death" (Made in Abyss). The Twenty Seventeen anime of the year, it definitely deserves that award. It's a show you don't expect to throw you off as much as it does. It may be Moe but it's certainly not lighthearted, just the opposite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 12-07-2018, 11:48 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho1121 View Post
Will be installing decorative wall molding using 1x4 and 1x3 lumber. Best choice of wood? Or should I use MDF? It will be painted white.
MDF is alright for molding if it's used somewhere that doesn't get wet. It's literally a sheet of paper. If you can find some clear pine that would work well. Knots present a problem with the sap bleeding through the paint. If you could find some poplar that would work very well. It's mostly clear and doesn't have the sap problem pine does.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-10-2018, 09:08 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Not an mdf fan, don't allow it in my shop. Don't car much for pine either. For trim that's going to be painted, I usually use poplar. If you have a real lumberyard or preferably a millwork shop nearby, you can get poplar in various widths, longer lengths, and generally good quality. Poplar isn't that expensive and easy to work with.
Mike Hawkins
post #6 of 13 Old 12-10-2018, 12:55 PM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
I have only one positive to say about MDF, it is fairly stable...until it absorbs moisture. There are different grades MDF and the big box stores usually sell seconds so it can come apart.

This stuff will always give off Urea-formaldehyde as formaldehyde is used for the glue along with wax to manufacture the stuff. It is very dusty and you will need a respirator (recommended) as the dust is a health hazard. It will have a pimple everywhere you nail that will have to be sanded down or cut off. It is also very hard on your cutters and blades.

Other than all this, I still don't like it. A little reading for you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium-density_fibreboard

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-11-2018, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

View ortho1121's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for all the help, guess I am going with poplar. Since there will be exposed end cuts should they be sealed prior to painting? Have seen posts about using joint compound or spackle for this purpose. Any thoughts?
post #8 of 13 Old 12-20-2018, 03:12 PM

View JEMWood's Photo Album My Photos
O.P.,

I have always had great results with Poplar. In addition to the positives mentioned above, poplar takes an edge beautifully. For painted projects you can't beat it.

Peace,

Jim Murphy
hOUR'Shop
post #9 of 13 Old 12-20-2018, 04:49 PM
Central Florida

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
you will have better results sealing any joints with a paintable
latex caulk vs joint compound or spackling.
(accurate cuts will minimize any need for fillers).

-- Failure is proof that you at least tried ~ now, go do it again, and again, until you get it right --
post #10 of 13 Old 12-20-2018, 07:04 PM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Use caulk as John mentioned. Accurate cuts eliminate it. Thanks to all for their input. I have two bathrooms that I'm going to trim along the ceiling. There is a lumber mill south of town- need to stop and see what they have. Or go to Lowe's and fire up the router. I think what I have on the shelf for the jobs is MDF. Doesn't seem like a good idea to use it

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.

Last edited by Pineknot_86; 12-20-2018 at 07:06 PM.
post #11 of 13 Old 12-21-2018, 08:43 AM

View JIMMIEM's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho1121 View Post
Thanks for all the help, guess I am going with poplar. Since there will be exposed end cuts should they be sealed prior to painting? Have seen posts about using joint compound or spackle for this purpose. Any thoughts?
One option to avoid exposed end grain/cuts is to put mitered returns on the ends. Probably more important if the trim were to be stained instead of painted but might look better if the trim edges have any type of profile.
post #12 of 13 Old 12-21-2018, 09:42 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
There is a moisture resistant - rot resistant - termite resistant MDF. It is for indoor/outdoor use One of the manufacturers is Extira
the sheets come in pretty much the same sizes as plywood and some are available up to 16' long. I know of this product because I was going to use it one time but never got around to it
I believe some sign makers use it but cant swear to it.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Denison, Tx
post #13 of 13 Old 01-01-2019, 10:43 AM

View phaelax's Photo Album My Photos
All the trim in my house is MDF with the exception of the crown molding. I think it's ok depending on what you're doing with it. All my trim was painted white as well and the mdf saved me some money since I was doing my entire house; doors, windows, baseboards. My window sills however are pine with an enamel paint more resistant to moisture. The MDF was also more flexible than pine, and my old house doesn't exactly have perfectly flat walls and floors can be a little uneven. Not terrible, but enough that you could see minor gaps using a stiff board. The MDF allowed me to get a bitter fit along the floors.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode