Walls don't line up. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 07-04-2009, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

View DeputyAFD's Photo Album My Photos
Walls don't line up.

I dont knoe if this is the correct forum but I thought I'd try here. I have an interior stairway to finish, the problem is this. I removed the door at the foot of the stairs and opened up the stair well. I remoced the stud from the wall next to the closet door, thats when I noticed the closet framing is anywhere from 1/2 to 5/8 of an inch proud of the stairwell wall. I hope you can understand with the pics. My question is how do I even this out to repair the wallboard and the apply the skirt board without having a bumpout at the bottom of the skirt board? I hope I have explained this well enough for you guys to offer suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	07042009 00040.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	9691  

Click image for larger version

Name:	07042009 00039.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	9692  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-04-2009, 10:19 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Will there be a paint color change

Or will you paint the walls all the same and up the stairs? The only solution I see it to put a decorative trim board where the stud was and have a surface difference one side to the other. You don't want to redo the walls up the stairs. That wouldn't solve the problem any way you'd have to remove 1/2"... what a mess. Hide the difference with a trim. Paint it all the same or feature it with a contrast. It could have vertical beading, depending on your style. You could carry it across the header above if that makes sense also. .02 from bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 12 Old 08-29-2009, 09:58 PM

View weswesterfield's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyAFD View Post
I dont knoe if this is the correct forum but I thought I'd try here. I have an interior stairway to finish, the problem is this. I removed the door at the foot of the stairs and opened up the stair well. I remoced the stud from the wall next to the closet door, thats when I noticed the closet framing is anywhere from 1/2 to 5/8 of an inch proud of the stairwell wall. I hope you can understand with the pics. My question is how do I even this out to repair the wallboard and the apply the skirt board without having a bumpout at the bottom of the skirt board? I hope I have explained this well enough for you guys to offer suggestions.
It doesn't look like you have too bad of a problem. I have used an electric planner for problems like this to level things out, however you end up chiseling out at both ends of your plaining because the blade lies in the center of the plain. Another option is to back cut your drywall to fit over the stud or you could use 1/4" dry wall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 08-29-2009, 11:07 PM

View snowi's Photo Album My Photos
were it me...

By looking at the door... it looks like it is not true... I can see a tappered gap all the way down... I personaly would remove the door, door frame, drywall for a few inches or so to the left of the door and re-install the door so the jack studs and frame are flush.. I know it is a lot more work, though I am certen that it would look alot better.

Ralph
post #5 of 12 Old 08-30-2009, 12:53 AM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
You need to show whats on the opposite side of the door where the 1st picture cuts off. If the corner is close take out the door and do what is needed to even it out all the way to corner. re sheetrock and then install the door. Other then that can't help with out more info.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-05-2009, 05:50 PM
wood hacker

View ihackwood's Photo Album My Photos
i hate hackers lol, what would i do if that was my job?it's hard to say seeing it sideways so i laid down to view it,when i wokeup it came to me,

rip the moulding off and make yourself some new stuff, compensating for the bump out, or figure out why he screwed the door up in the first place? but new trim wouldlook good imo
post #7 of 12 Old 01-24-2010, 10:55 PM

View wannaBelkhuntin's Photo Album My Photos
I would add another layer of drywall to the stairway to make it flush with what you have. Anything else is mickey mouse. JMO
post #8 of 12 Old 01-25-2010, 07:58 AM

View mwhafner's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I would add another layer of drywall to the stairway to make it flush with what you have. Anything else is mickey mouse. JMO
I agree.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-25-2010, 09:48 AM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaBelkhuntin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhafner View Post
I agree.
You might want to check the date of post before both of you posted the last post on this thread was 9-05-09. It Happened to me before also. I just thought I would point that out.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-28-2010, 08:16 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Yah and besides

Deputy AFD, the OP never posted a reply, so chances are we're just talking amongst ourselves...again. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #11 of 12 Old 01-28-2010, 07:36 PM

View Texas Sawduster's Photo Album My Photos
Me Too

I have run into a similar situation with my den remodel. See pics in Gallery.
I had to cut special trim to adjust for the new sheetrock I hung to relplace the old wood paneling that was in the den.
The door frames were custom made to fit the width of the wall with the thin paneling. I had a gap to close with the new trim so I made my own and made my own rosettes. I still have to paint the rock and trim before I install the 5 point starts in the rosettes.

I did this so I would not have to buy new doors.

Tools are like guns, You can never have enough.
Where did I put that tape measure???
post #12 of 12 Old 03-25-2010, 03:02 PM

View chubbyhubby's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbrown View Post
You might want to check the date of post before both of you posted the last post on this thread was 9-05-09. It Happened to me before also. I just thought I would point that out.
If the OP works at the same pace that I do, he's still probably pondering his dilemma...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode