Veneer for cabinet frame faces? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 12-27-2014, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

View igster's Photo Album My Photos
Veneer for cabinet frame faces?

I am in the process of re-doing my kitchen cabinets - making new shaker-style doors to replace the old plain doors. I plan on keeping the cabinets themselves, which are painted white...I want to re-face them, but am unsure how to proceed- maybe apply some type of adhesive veneer strips, after scraping off the old paint? Where would I get veneer strips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-27-2014, 10:50 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I prefer to use phenolic backed veneer to reface cabinets. Usually a cabinet has damage or at the very least not sanded flat. With normal veneer it will take the shape of the existing cabinet and if there is any dents or defects the defect will transfer through the veneer and you won't see it until you put a finish on it. With a formica backed veneer the dents won't transfer through. Also if you get an underscribe router you can cut the laminate long and allow it to overlap the joint until you get it stuck and then trim it to make a perfect joint. Then once it is all on there just use a laminate trimmer to trim off the excess veneer and file it as though it were formica. Most box stores will sell formica. They won't stock the veneer but usually any place that sells sheets of formica can order phenolic veneer for you.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-27-2014, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

View igster's Photo Album My Photos
Another question...re the grain. Since i will be basically applying strips to the faces, does the grain pattern have to run all in the same direction for both the vertical and horizontal pieces ( for aesthetic purposes)? That would mean cutting a whole bunch of little pieces for one direction and one long piece for the other...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-27-2014, 10:29 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by igster View Post
Another question...re the grain. Since i will be basically applying strips to the faces, does the grain pattern have to run all in the same direction for both the vertical and horizontal pieces ( for aesthetic purposes)? That would mean cutting a whole bunch of little pieces for one direction and one long piece for the other...
If it were me I would run the grain lengthwise on all the pieces. The stiles would run vertical and the rails running in a horizontal direction just like a real faceframe would.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode