Using ASH for cabinets - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 01-13-2013, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

View dsmit12's Photo Album My Photos
Using ASH for cabinets

I have the opportunity to buy some ash at a discounted price. 1250 BF for $500. Is this a good price and would this be a good material for cabinets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-13-2013, 10:31 PM

View believebraves's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmit12
I have the opportunity to buy some ash at a discounted price. 1250 BF for $500. Is this a good price and would this be a good material for cabinets.
No it's not, please tell me where this is located and I will go buy it so no one else gets cheated!!

Actually Ash is great hard word. I bought roughly 1000 BF for $500 back in the summer. Only thing is, it's like oak, make sure you plan on staining the projects not painting, as it is very "grainy."

Seriously though, kiln dried? And where are you located?
post #3 of 10 Old 01-13-2013, 10:33 PM

View Lola Ranch's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmit12 View Post
That's only $0.40 per bd. ft. 1250 bd ft is a LOT of wood. What grade is it? Even for a low grade it's cheap. But if the condition of the wood is real bad you will have a lot of waste trying to get good pieces for the cabinets. If it were #1 or better I'd jump on it if you have room to store it and a way to haul it.

Awhile back I bought some white ash, nice stuff, 4/4 rough clear, long (14") and wide(8" - 12") for $2.00 a bd ft and I thought I was getting a steal.

Bret
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-13-2013, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

i really didn't want something that looked like oak. I would prefer hickory to make some mud room cabinets but for the kitchen I was looking for something less grainy. i don't think it is kiln dried. It is in texas at a mill that is closing down. It is rough sawn so I can't tell the grade much and it is 4/4 8" x 8'. what do ya'll think of sycamore for cabinets. i think he has some of it.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-13-2013, 11:51 PM

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
Sycamore doesn't seem to me like a good choice for cabinets because of the extreme variability you're likely to get in the quantity of ray flakes in the face grain. It would make the cabinets look too uneven. To see what I mean, if you don't already know, check out sycamore on my site.

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
The Following User Says Thank You to phinds For This Useful Post:
dsmit12 (01-14-2013)
post #6 of 10 Old 01-14-2013, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

phinds. This is the most extensive wood site I have seen. Did you personal take all these pictures? Where is it that i could purchase some of these species? Thanks
post #7 of 10 Old 01-14-2013, 08:49 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I'll let you be the judge of the condition of the wood since you will be there to see it. Ash is a very good wood for cabinets however it was so widely used in the 1960's and 1970's it's kinda looked down on today and out of style. I've had customers have me rebuild perfectly good cabinets just because they were made out of ash and it dates the house. If you don't have a problem with other peoples attitude toward the wood and perhaps lower the value of your house than go for it. You would be the one to please then.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-14-2013, 09:18 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I'll let you be the judge of the condition of the wood since you will be there to see it. Ash is a very good wood for cabinets however it was so widely used in the 1960's and 1970's it's kinda looked down on today and out of style. I've had customers have me rebuild perfectly good cabinets just because they were made out of ash and it dates the house. If you don't have a problem with other peoples attitude toward the wood and perhaps lower the value of your house than go for it. You would be the one to please then.
I never heard that before, and I don't agree. I'll take Ash anytime. It's lighter than the Oaks, IMO. It machines well, finishes beautifully in a natural finish, and will stain/dye very well. Ash is available in hardwood plywood in ", ", and ", which provides sheet stock to use in conjunction with the lumber.

post #9 of 10 Old 01-14-2013, 09:22 AM

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmit12 View Post
phinds. This is the most extensive wood site I have seen. Did you personal take all these pictures? Where is it that i could purchase some of these species? Thanks
I took the 7,000 or so pics that are in the "my samples" upper section of each page and I stole the other 23,000 off the interent.

You'll have to do internet search by species to find vendors.

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
post #10 of 10 Old 01-21-2013, 09:52 PM

View RogerInColorado's Photo Album My Photos
Go buy phinds's poster of the wood species. It's a work of art and after I framed it my bride even let me hang it in her office so I can go in and salivate over wood.

I'm with cabinetman on ash. I think it's a beautiful wood and has some great qualities, as he said. It's about to become a collector's item, though if you don't like oak for cabinets you probably wouldn't like ash for that application, either.

Can't the guy at the mill tell you the grade? If it's "mill run" there will be a lot of 3 and some 1 and 2, but at .40 a bf, you only need better that a 30% of it to be 2 or better to be paying less than a buck and a half a bf for the stuff you want to keep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode