Uncommon Miter - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 18 Old 03-21-2016, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

View ShaunT's Photo Album My Photos
Uncommon Miter

I do not have a lot of experience in Joining odd angles. I have a step I want to trim with Bullnose Stair nosing, but I have an issue on the exposed corner. it is a combination of a 44 degree angle separated by about 5 inches and another 44 degree angle.

I know what you are thinking, 44 + 44 = 88, not 90 degrees. This is where it gets tricky (for me!). SO I thought that I would split the 44 down the middle and get a 22 degree angle and put in a 9 7/8 inch flat end piece and join it on the other side with another 22 degree piece to finish the corner off. WRONG! As you (experts) probably already know that this was a disaster.

I got the angles to meet (not perfectly), but the middle piece didi not extend through the backside of the stair nosing.

If you could have mercy on me and provide me the direction that I need it would be greatly appreciated. I provided pictures so that you know what I am dealing with.

Thank you in advance for your input.
Attached Images

Last edited by ShaunT; 03-21-2016 at 06:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-21-2016, 06:35 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Sorry, but I have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe more pics, sketches or someone other than my self that understands exactly what you are trying to do.
hand drawn sketches would be ok.

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B
post #3 of 18 Old 03-21-2016, 06:38 PM

View sanchez's Photo Album My Photos
Is that picture meant to represent the top view of the stair tread? So your stair has two corners on the front edge(s)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 03-21-2016, 06:50 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
sounds easy ...

I donno, but all your angles need to be 22 degrees on each end and on the center piece. Try that and see if it works out.:smile3: Cut the center piece "long" ,and fit it between the two other ends ...

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 03-21-2016 at 07:26 PM.
post #5 of 18 Old 03-21-2016, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

This is the view from the top of the stair tread.

All I want to do is cut the miters on the stair nose to wrap the corner. The problem that I am having is matching the miters so that the front and the back match.
post #6 of 18 Old 03-21-2016, 10:24 PM
where's my table saw?

your angles are not 44 degrees

An angle of 44 degrees is acute, kinda like 45 degrees or half of 90. Your angles are obtuse or more than 90 degrees. So without the proper measurement of the angle you can't get the proper results. I'd say just by guessing, with a protractor on the photo, the angle is about 136 degrees . So the miter angle you need is 68 degrees on each piece.

Then if you are setting a miter saw, you'll need a 22 off of 0 .

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 03-21-2016 at 10:34 PM.
post #7 of 18 Old 03-22-2016, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

six to one

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
An angle of 44 degrees is acute, kinda like 45 degrees or half of 90. Your angles are obtuse or more than 90 degrees. So without the proper measurement of the angle you can't get the proper results. I'd say just by guessing, with a protractor on the photo, the angle is about 136 degrees . So the miter angle you need is 68 degrees on each piece.
Then if you are setting a miter saw, you'll need a 22 off of 0 .

woodnthings,
thank you for your reply, but what you are saying is 'six to one, half a dozen to the other'. 180 degrees minus 136 degrees = 44 degrees. It is just the other side of the 90 (degrees).

I finally figured the issue out which is really embarrassing. I was measuring on the inside edge of the stair nosing, not on the rabbet. Since the rabbet rides the edge of the step I should have measured the stair nosing on the rabbet. Forgive me if it is not called a rabbet. It only cost 75 dollars in red oak stair nosng for a 57" piece at HD. Ugh!

BTW - 22.5 Degrees was on the money! Obviously I need to up grade my miter gauge to a bigger bevel or bigger miter gauge.

Thank you all for trying to help me figure this out. I am really impressed with the talent and knowledge on this forum. I will be sure to visit weekly.
Attached Images

Last edited by ShaunT; 03-22-2016 at 11:50 AM.
post #8 of 18 Old 03-22-2016, 12:03 PM

View sanchez's Photo Album My Photos
Well it looks like it turned out just fine!
post #9 of 18 Old 03-22-2016, 01:46 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If 22.5 degrees worked then the angles were 45 degrees instead of 44.
post #10 of 18 Old 03-23-2016, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Sanchez,
I do not know if I am uniquely an idiot or I just let miters intimidate me, but like you said it worked out. Thanks for your input.
Just being able to talk it out with people that have the knowledge really helps.
post #11 of 18 Old 03-23-2016, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Steve,

Absolutely right! The reason that I thought it was 44 degrees instead of 45 degrees was because the tool that I used to measure the angle was only 3" on the base line and 3 inches on the vertical line. As you know, home construction is not a pristine environment where a 45 degree angle carries across a step or wall. I think I will be purchasing a Bevel Protractor this weekend. Any suggestions on a good T-bevel/bevel protractor that is at least 5" - 6" across both lines?
post #12 of 18 Old 03-23-2016, 09:57 AM
where's my table saw?

I use this one

It's from :
http://www.ptreeusa.com/layout_protractor.htm

8" Digital Protractor

The Wixey Digital Protractors can be used in any plane.
  • 0.1 degree resolution, accuracy, and repeatability
  • Sets both miter and bevel angles on almost any machine
  • Strong magnets on all blade edges for ease of use
  • Blades can be tightened for holding measurements
  • 2" wide X 7/8" thick X 9" long
  • Long legs for added versatility
  • Measure work-piece or construction angles
  • Use for marking and layout
Range:
+/- 180 degrees
Resolution:
0.1 degrees
Accuracy:
+/- 0.1 degrees
Repeatability :
+/- 0.1degrees
Battery:
type 3.0V CR2032
Function:
Auto shutoff for ext

post #13 of 18 Old 03-23-2016, 10:17 AM

I believe this is what I use. http://www.harborfreight.com/multipu...nder-1028.html The one I have is black though and one side of it is about 12" long and the other is 24". I think they cropped the picture to where the whole thing doesn't show.
post #14 of 18 Old 03-23-2016, 04:02 PM

View Woodyhoots's Photo Album My Photos
The easiest way I find to do this is to offer a piece of nosing up that goes past your inside mitre point by a few inches and draw a line either side of the nosing, u could do this on the floor up against the riser using tape. Then do the same on the adjoining riser so the lines u drew either side of your nosing ( or any parallel piece of wood for that matter) intersect creating a diamond shape then draw a straight line between the points of the diamond extending it a few inches. Then use your sliding bevel to transfer the angles to your nosing. You don't need any angle finders for this method I think it's called dissecting an angle or it could be bisecting, can't remember. I hope this is understandable because when you get it, it really is dead easy.
post #15 of 18 Old 03-23-2016, 04:32 PM
where's my table saw?

Bisecting an angle

After you bisect the angle you still need to transfer that angle to a setting on your saw OR try to match a scribed line by trial and error. An adjustable angle "gizmo" or bevel gauge will work for that if you don't want to invest in a digital angle gauge.

http://www.onlinemathlearning.com/angle-bisector.html

post #16 of 18 Old 03-23-2016, 05:14 PM

Regardless of the tools one has it's always best to either leave the trim long or use some scrap wood and test the miters before you cut a finished part.
post #17 of 18 Old 03-24-2016, 08:25 AM

In the uk we call that a sliding bevel which I said you would need to transfer the lines. I've noticed a lot of different terms to what we use across The pond. You say rabbet we say rebate, you say jointer we say surface planer a planer here is a thickness planer. Tamato tomato.
post #18 of 18 Old 03-24-2016, 08:27 AM

Oh and I never said gizmo.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode