trim suggestions - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 10-09-2007, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

View spiz's Photo Album My Photos
trim suggestions

I'm a DIY'er and new to this forum. I'm looking for suggestions on how to trim out the area shown in these pictures. The concrete is about 8" tall and 1 1/4" wide, and I'd like it to "fit with" the other walls which will have a 5 1/4' speed base along the walls. I've thought of doing a build-up type of molding, but I'm not sure how to address the 1 1/4 inch wide portion on the top so that it looks like it flows into the wall.
I'm about ready to give up and tile it with stone, which would give me a unique look but is not my 1st choice.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Just don't ask me who the idiot was that hung the drywall. I'm already kicking my self for that bonehead move.

SPIZ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	1250  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture2.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	1251  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-14-2007, 10:50 AM

View kellerhome77's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know how much work you want to do but you can use furring strip to bring the wall out and sheetrock the new wall. It would eliminate the concrete.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-14-2007, 11:08 AM

View daryl in nanoose's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellerhome77 View Post
I don't know how much work you want to do but you can use furring strip to bring the wall out and sheetrock the new wall. It would eliminate the concrete.
This would be my first choice to or just fur out the concrete and cover it up with drywall but I have never liked the look of this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-14-2007, 09:30 PM
tcc

View tcc's Photo Album My Photos
use some form of wainscot fir out 1 1/4 from drywall and use a built up chair rail to cover top.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-17-2007, 01:55 PM

View Franks Cabinets's Photo Album My Photos
Thats a good idea with the wainscot. I was thinking of a bench seat myself. eliminate the problem by building it out further and putting a bench there.

If you dont fur out the wall to meet the concrete and instead decide to cover up the obstruction with trim, what you will have is an invitation for someone to put there feet on. So if "can" fur it out to meet great! If you can't, make it a bench or something.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-28-2007, 09:04 PM
Soon to be Ol' Geezer

View Steve Clardy's Photo Album My Photos
Maybe go ahead and tile the top and face of the concrete, then run your base.

LN Anniversary Bronze Owner
LV Anniversary SS Edge PLane Owner
post #7 of 8 Old 10-31-2007, 05:28 PM

View madison wi builder's Photo Album My Photos
Sooo Many Options!!!

Cover it with drywall....glue it to the concrete...corner bead with straight flex....can't nail into concrete...or...you could fir out the wall again so the drywall flows over the concrete.....Fir out the wall up to the window and put a wood shelf on top....Chisel the concrete out...just kidding What were you thinking when you built this anyway...
post #8 of 8 Old 10-31-2007, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

View spiz's Photo Album My Photos
Madison and everyone else, thanks for the great suggestions. For those of you wondering how I got into this mess, the builder left me with this mess and I wasn't smart enough at the time to have him fix it before I moved in. I decided to finish the basement myself, so have learned a lot in the process as I've never attempted any thing like this before. Hiding the concrete is the final step as I've completed all the other tasks.

I'm weighing a couple of different ideas and will post the finished results in a few weeks.

Thanks again for all the great suggestions.

Spiz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode