Traditional looking faceframe bi-folds??? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 03-27-2008, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

View Ansel's Photo Album My Photos
Traditional looking faceframe bi-folds???

Hi, I came over from contractor-talk. I am revamping a kitchen as part of a remodel which is at this point bordering on a totally period authentic restoration (in a one room schoolhouse circa 1800) I am using restoration cabinet hardware (antique copper cup pulls, knobs, etc.) I am kind of scratching my head about the corner lazy susan cabinet, though. Would Blum 60 degree hinges joining the two doors and traditional overlay butterfly hinges on the frame, work for this together? I am inclined to think that the butterflies would work at both locations, but I am not sure how smooth the system would operate. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-28-2008, 08:22 AM

View woodman42's Photo Album My Photos
You might check Woodworkers Supply or Outwater. They have solutions for your project.

Did you say tool sale?
post #3 of 8 Old 04-02-2008, 05:08 AM

View mmwood_1's Photo Album My Photos
Not sure how you mean. 60 degree hinges? Why not just use the lazy susan door hinges they make? You mount 3 of them in the back sides of the doors, they're adjustable like all Euro-hinges. And then I suppose any hinge will work on the fixed door.

As for butterflies in the corner, well, if they allow the doors to open flat against each other, (or close to it) then I suppose they would work just fine, too. Can't think of any reason they wouldn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-02-2008, 10:11 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Maybe you could be more specific as to your application. A few questions:

What's on either side of the two doors?

What's the approximate face width dimension of the two 90 degree doors?

Is the action you want that one door opens on the other, and then both open revealing a self contained lazy susan inside as a circular unit.

Is the action you want that one door opens on the other, and then there's a self contained lazy susan inside as a pie shaped unit independent of the doors?

Is the action you want that the door is at 90 degrees and fixed, and the lazy susan is attached to the back of the doors?

What type of doors, i.e. rail & stile, with panel/louvers, slab (flat), wood, MDF?

What overlay are you wanting?

Are there face frames? If so, what's their width?

post #5 of 8 Old 04-02-2008, 10:56 PM
Pianoman

View pianoman's Photo Album My Photos
Historic? What would they do back in the day... Maybe piano hinges. I`m picturing two doors that both open...one attached to the other, right?

Never... I mean always... never mind Rick
post #6 of 8 Old 04-03-2008, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

View Ansel's Photo Album My Photos
Traditional (at least to me) means face frame cabinets with 2" stiles. I use reproduction surface mount butterfly hinges, bin pulls, sometimes cupboard latches. The doors will be approx 12' wide, and will be made from center-bead fir. Walk into any pantry circa 1880-1920 (and perhaps a couple of decades in either direction) and you will see what I am trying to reproduce. I generally finish this type of cabinet with 3 coats of amber shelac. The difference between mine and the original (I hope) is that mine are more ergonomic and use modern hardware and components like full extension slides, lazy susans etc. I am not planning on mounting the door to the susan. I was just curious if any of you have just built these corner double door configurations without any euro hinges at all...it seems like it would work???
post #7 of 8 Old 04-03-2008, 08:52 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Traditionally, the door would be inset (flush) with the face frame, and hung with butt hinges. The second door would be mounted to the first edge to edge with butt hinges.

The first door could be mounted on the FF with butt hinges, to have an overlay condition.

post #8 of 8 Old 04-16-2008, 10:37 PM

View bigtrout9's Photo Album My Photos
I have seen this accomplished with soss hinges as well.

jb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode