Studfinders - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 12-16-2009, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
new guy

View drwilson85's Photo Album My Photos
Studfinders

Ive been looking for a new studfinder as the one I have now is a POS. Zircon has a few different models Ive been looking at. The problem I have is that I need one that works on textured walls (knockdown) because of how it hops around a little. Hate to spend the 40 bucks on one that wont work on texture. Anybody have any suggestions on one that will work for sure?
Thanks,
Devin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-17-2009, 01:17 AM

View SeeDBee's Photo Album My Photos
My experience is that results from these electronic stud finders can be sketchy at best.

I purchased a Zircon and found it troublesome to use, so I called the Zircon customer service people and they walked me though the issues, and even agreed it was not made for one of the applications for which I purchased it.

I give Zircon and A plus on customer service and knowing their products and the real applications.
post #3 of 15 Old 12-17-2009, 08:22 AM

View joesdad's Photo Album My Photos
I've used this one for years and it's worth every penny to me. When I bought mine it was around $50.00 The hinged unit makes a big difference with uneven surfaces.

http://www.amazon.com/Zircon-60276-MultiScanner-OneStep-Sensor/dp/B000AUV2QQ

Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them.
-Albert Einstein :http://armandj.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 12-17-2009, 08:46 AM

View redbeard's Photo Album My Photos
I am not a very big fan of the "stud finder". I have found that earth magnets are more accurate, fit better in my apron and save me money on batteries. The only down point of the magnets I have found is that it takes a minute to find the pattern of nails the guy who hung the drywall used, you can assume they layed out 16 on center, but that sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't so I try to find the nail patten.
post #5 of 15 Old 12-17-2009, 09:23 AM
Splinter Cushion

View b00kemdano's Photo Album My Photos
I can't use them. They just go off constantly whenever I'm in the room.

J/K! I've had two Zircons that both suck. One of them met an untimely demise recently. The Stud Sensor version seems to be a little better than the Stud Finder version, but the two that I've had are pretty old.

Maybe the new ones are better?
post #6 of 15 Old 12-17-2009, 09:45 AM

View Julian the woodnut's Photo Album My Photos
I have used zircon and stanley in the past and I don't like either of them. I prefer the old mwthod of just tapping on the wall and listening for the stud. I have done it this way for years now and am very accurate in finding studs. The trick is to tap on the wall where you think it is nailed. This is because the drywall is tightest to the wall at that point and the sound it makes will be more noticeable.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-17-2009, 10:55 PM

View redbeard's Photo Album My Photos
I like that method too julian
post #8 of 15 Old 12-18-2009, 07:03 PM

View joesdad's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian the woodnut View Post
I have used zircon and stanley in the past and I don't like either of them. I prefer the old mwthod of just tapping on the wall and listening for the stud. I have done it this way for years now and am very accurate in finding studs. The trick is to tap on the wall where you think it is nailed. This is because the drywall is tightest to the wall at that point and the sound it makes will be more noticeable.
I find that method to be fine on most newer wallboard, but not old homes with thick plaster walls. I'll pass on the guess work and patching crumbling plaster if I'm off. Also when applying wall treaments on newly wall papered walls that a customer spent more money on than I normally make in a week... Again I'd rather map out my centers and be sure.

The higher end units are very accurate when used correctly, and the electrical current sensor is a big plus...anybody who's done restoration/remodeling work knows that you should never assume anything when it comes to avoiding a potentially expensive mistake.

In my short 15 or so years of doing this kind of work, I've been fortunate to only hit one water supply line and one live wire with various implements of destruction...mostly because I guessed based on what "usually is".

Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them.
-Albert Einstein :http://armandj.com
post #9 of 15 Old 12-18-2009, 09:51 PM

View JohnK007's Photo Album My Photos
I've got a fairly old Zircon one and it works OK. Not dead-on accurate but it's better than guessing, and guessing wrong...
post #10 of 15 Old 12-22-2009, 01:54 PM

View neumsky's Photo Album My Photos
Magnet!
post #11 of 15 Old 12-22-2009, 09:54 PM

View Bob Willing's Photo Album My Photos
stud finders, stud finders

Does anyone know what is best stud finder for CFI's (concrete insulated forms)that have plastic inserts? They have plastic inserts every 8" but try to find one after the drywall is installed.
post #12 of 15 Old 12-23-2009, 06:15 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Years ago I had a magnet that was shapped like and about the size of a pencil. One end was designed so that you held that end and it swung freely. This little guy was excellent for finding those studs that had nails. Somehow it got lost and I wish I could find another.

George
post #13 of 15 Old 12-23-2009, 07:18 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
I was putting up a mirror behind a wash basin and drilling the hole.
Went straight into copper pipe buried about inch below, good spout of water. Stuck a pencil into hole as tempory plug and quickly turned off supply. Did not want to excavate too much so cleand up, cut a patch from another piece of pipe and used plastic padding. No more problem.
johnep
post #14 of 15 Old 12-23-2009, 10:21 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
"Did not want to excavate too much so cleand up, cut a patch from another piece of pipe and used plastic padding. No more problem."

I do not understand. Just what is "plastic padding?" I would think that you would solder the patch into place.

George
post #15 of 15 Old 12-23-2009, 12:28 PM

View Texas Sawduster's Photo Album My Photos
Plastic Padding???

Yes, just what is plastic padding?
I have sweated copper many times but am not familiar with this plastic padding for copper.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode