stair tread bullnose overhang - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 07-24-2011, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

View cajunpedaler's Photo Album My Photos
stair tread bullnose overhang

our local building codes require no more than an 1 1/4" overhang on stair treads. unfortunately we installed them and there is a consistent 1 1/2". i can install a 1/4" veneer but hate to do that, because each riser is reclaimed cypress...i am wondering if i can nail a piece of trim under the bullnose and if there's a specific dimension for that scenario? I've looked and can't come up with anything. the house is non conventional, but well done. used reclaimed cypress (i'm in louisiana) and industrial type finish (corrugated duct for a/c and exposed conduit on old bead board ceilings, etc)
thanks.
perry
cajunpedaler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-24-2011, 03:02 PM
Mike

View PurpleHeartJarHead's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunpedaler View Post
our local building codes require no more than an 1 1/4" overhang on stair treads. unfortunately we installed them and there is a consistent 1 1/2". i can install a 1/4" veneer but hate to do that, because each riser is reclaimed cypress...i am wondering if i can nail a piece of trim under the bullnose and if there's a specific dimension for that scenario? I've looked and can't come up with anything. the house is non conventional, but well done. used reclaimed cypress (i'm in louisiana) and industrial type finish (corrugated duct for a/c and exposed conduit on old bead board ceilings, etc)
thanks.
perry
cajunpedaler
Having just done the stairs in my home, I feel your pain. I'm not expert by any means, but without adding thickness to the riser, the only other way I can honestly see to remove a 1/4" from the tread is to pop the tread and rip the back edge through a TS; or taking it off the nose edge itself, which would be more time consuming.

With regard to adding trim, I think simply adding bulk under the bull nose won't fix distance x, edge of bull nose to face of riser in the mind of a detailed inspector.

Probably not what you wanted to hear. Hopefully some one else has more experience and will comment.

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
post #3 of 8 Old 07-25-2011, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

View cajunpedaler's Photo Album My Photos
i called my inspector and asked to come by and critique our stair project..our only fault was the excessive nosing..1 1/2" rather than the required 1 1/4"...i asked about solutions, including a 1/4" veneer over riser...OR could i put a small detail trim under the bullnose and hooray..he says a trim piece will be fine...woohoo!!
perry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-25-2011, 08:43 PM

View DannyT's Photo Album My Photos
he must have been feeling generous that day. the molding doesnt change the overall overhang of the tread, makes it look less tho
post #5 of 8 Old 07-25-2011, 08:52 PM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Cajun, glad you got it worked out. I'd really like to see those stairs! Pictures!!!

~tom ...it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt...
post #6 of 8 Old 09-10-2011, 02:01 PM

View framingrailman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunpedaler View Post
i called my inspector and asked to come by and critique our stair project..our only fault was the excessive nosing..1 1/2" rather than the required 1 1/4"...i asked about solutions, including a 1/4" veneer over riser...OR could i put a small detail trim under the bullnose and hooray..he says a trim piece will be fine...woohoo!!
perry
Goes to show how ______ most code inspectors are. Putting the trim peice under the nosing changes nothing.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-10-2011, 07:20 PM

View cfbrew2's Photo Album My Photos
If inspectors enforced everything by the book building houses would not be practical. They need to use common sense once in awhile.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-11-2011, 04:34 AM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
On a technical note......and you can research this cause,well its fun.

Traditionally "scotia" has been the go-to mould under nosers......But somehwere 'round the late 80's it wasn't being stocked anymore.Which mesh's in with the advent of "Box stores".After that time "cove" became the default pc.

The differences may seem like splitting hairs?.....which I can put up a very compelling argument that it isn't(splitt'n hairs).A cove is a constant radius,with generally the same amt. of fillet(little sq section),top and bttm...........Scotia on the other hand,at least WRT the pce under a noser.....Has two noticibly different fillets.The one that we use on top is much wider.The point is visual,you're looking "down" at the tread.And just like scotia is correct under window sills,its correct here under noser cause this wider top section spaces the radius'd or curved section...lower.Uhhh,that would be so we can see it.Scotia also is sposed to be a multi radii on its cruved part.Tighter at top,flattening as it gracefully curves lower.

Scotia,properly prepared,somewhere about 5/8" thick and easily 7/8" tall.Its a "forgotten" profile in the,slam-bam-dooh-dah architectural times we live in.BW

Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.
The Following User Says Thank You to BWSmith For This Useful Post:
framingrailman (09-11-2011)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode