source for prefinished ply needed - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 08-24-2010, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

View claymation's Photo Album My Photos
source for prefinished ply needed

what's the best ply for cabinet boxes? Looking for a prefinished ply so the interiors don't have to be clear-coated. Anyone have a good source for this? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-24-2010, 10:24 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymation View Post
what's the best ply for cabinet boxes? Looking for a prefinished ply so the interiors don't have to be clear-coated. Anyone have a good source for this? Thanks.

Maple or Birch plywood makes for good cabinet cases. What you pick may depend on what the exterior will be. If you plan to veneer or laminate the exterior, you could use white melamine.

Some good lumberyards, and cabinet shop suppliers stock prefinished sheet stock.

post #3 of 9 Old 08-24-2010, 10:36 AM

View TomC's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know where you are located but if you are in the southeast check Wurth group as they have many locations across the SE. I have never purchased any but have seen it in their Charlotte NC store. They do have a web site; I believe it is "wurth.com". If this is not correct just do a search on Wurth Group.
Tom
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-08-2010, 08:57 PM

View jraksdhs's Photo Album My Photos
i agree

Im with tom on this. We kinda need to know where your located to give better information. In my location, north east(delaware) i buy all my material from a company called fessenden hall, located out of new jersey. If i remember correctly i purchased 10 sheets of 3/4" prefinished maple for $55/sheet. That was last week. Lumber and sheet goods go up and down like the stock market in my area. I think Ive paid as high as $65 for the same material. Usually the average joe is going to pay more though. I purchase thousands of dollars a month from this company so I get better prices than most. If I were you Id contact a local cabinet shop and see if they can help you out. JMO

jraks
post #5 of 9 Old 09-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Old School

View Willie T's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Yes, I do.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-09-2010, 09:02 PM

View ash123's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Columbia Forest Products

Click on the link to see a picture of the Sioux River falls near my home.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...g?t=1278182564
Eastern South Dakota is very pretty with hills, rivers, and trees.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-09-2010, 11:11 PM

View woodjoiner's Photo Album My Photos
Hey Willy TThat answer to the question about a source for prefinished plywood seemed a little cold. (Yes, I do) I would hope that you simply forgot to finish that statement.

As for the original post about a source for prefinished plywood, I would agree with (cabinetman) in that you should be able to search locally for a (cabinet shop material supplier) in your area. Keep us posted let us know if you found a local source for your prefinished plywood, as always happy woodworking.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-25-2010, 09:03 PM

View sketel's Photo Album My Photos
Find it in stock

Just my 2 cents, try to find somebody that stocks it rather than can just order it in. We had to send back several sheets we ordered in because of scratches in the finish. Mr. plywood in Portland, OR has it in stock but I don't know where you are located.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-26-2010, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

View claymation's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks and a "special" thanks

Thanks for the advice, gang. Much appreciated. After reading some of your replies, I called my local lumber yard and they were able to order me what I needed at a more reasonable price (they are the only game in town when it comes to non-standard stuff...) I had been using their standard birch ply for years and got tired of pre-finishing. It's tough to get what you need/want when you're a small shop.

A special thanks to WillieT for the "thoughtful" reply. Good to see you were able to snap out of your autistic, ADHD coma to type a few letters! It even made a sentence. You must be proud.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode