Shop/Garage Cabinets - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 02-28-2013, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

View RailDude's Photo Album My Photos
Shop/Garage Cabinets

I need to add some storage in my shop that used to be the 2 car garage. There is plenty of room along the upper wall on the workbench side so am thinking of adding cabinets. Am wanting to build some laundry room and eventually kitchen cabinets anyway so figure this will be good practice. Most of the kitchen cabinets I see seem to be 12" in depth, so as not to hinder counter space. Just to make sure there isnt something I am missing here, does it really make any difference how deep upper shop cabinets are? Seems like a waste to just make them 12" deep for storage. Those who make your own shop cabinets....how deep do you make them? Thanks in advance for any answers or advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-28-2013, 06:25 PM

View Sawdustguy's Photo Album My Photos
I made mine 12" deep if over a base cabinet with a work top. If you make deeper it may become a problem working on anything on the counter top.

George
The Following User Says Thank You to Sawdustguy For This Useful Post:
RailDude (02-28-2013)
post #3 of 6 Old 02-28-2013, 06:32 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
What George said. Plus things tend to gravitate to the back of the cabinets and getting to the back of the top shelf of a wall cabinet can be a challenge.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
The Following User Says Thank You to jschaben For This Useful Post:
RailDude (02-28-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-01-2013, 08:17 AM

View spark0506's Photo Album My Photos
I'm in the process of building and installing some upper/top cabinets in my shop. I'm making most of them 16" deep....actually the box is 15-1/4" deep and 3/4" for the face frame. I wanted to gain as much storage as possible. I have 9-1/2' ceilings so they're quite a bit higher from the base cabinets then you would do in a normal kitchen area. I don't see where it really hinders my counter space at all. Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to spark0506 For This Useful Post:
RailDude (03-01-2013)
post #5 of 6 Old 03-22-2013, 08:55 AM

View Salmon_Ears's Photo Album My Photos
I'm about to do add some wall cabinets in my garage, too. What material are you guys using?
post #6 of 6 Old 03-23-2013, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

View RailDude's Photo Album My Photos
I'm making the carcasses out of 3/4 cabinet ply I found at Home Depot of all places. It is similar to their arauco ply and was only 27.00 a sheet.....and is actually square and not bowed. For the face frames and doors, am using poplar for the garage cabinets, red oak for the wife's utility room cabinets. Found those at the local hardwood/plywood dealer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode