Secret Door Dilemma - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 11-11-2013, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

View sheperd80's Photo Album My Photos
Secret Door Dilemma

Hey folks, I'm building a secret door for a client and having trouble finding the proper hinges. Ive done secret doors before but this one is different.

The door is going to replace a raised panel in a wall that has to match other adjacent raised panel walls. I need the panel moulding to conceal the door gap all the way around. To make this work I need something similar to a Blum or Grass concealed overlay hinge so that the panel moulding on the hinge side moves away from the wall as it opens.

The problem is those hinges are for cabinets, but this panel is 62" tall and 50" wide, and will weigh approx 50 lbs. Anyone know of a hinge that is both concealed and overlay that can handle more than just a cabinet door?

As a last resort I can probably just use a bunch of cabinet hinges but this is a high end house and that's pretty hokey. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-11-2013, 08:15 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
3 or 4 hinges would not be inappropriate

They will only show when the door is opened, right? I would use 3 personally.
A good source for hinges:
http://www.hardwaresource.com/hinges...t+Door+Slides/

This one: http://www.hardwaresource.com/hinges...ot+Door+Slides

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 11-12-2013 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Added more info
post #3 of 9 Old 11-11-2013, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Yeah they will only show when its open. The hinges in that link are for door slides which I can't use. But those are the basic hinge type I need. But 3 or 4 doesn't seem nearly enough for a 50lb door that's 50" wide. Thats a lot of cantilever weight for such a short hinge. I'm hoping there's something in that style but on a larger scale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-11-2013, 09:30 PM

View Gilgaron's Photo Album My Photos
Have you looked up Murphy Doors? I've never used one but I've been thinking it'd be cool to have one when I finish my basement. According to the literature it can hold 300 lbs and 6' wide if I read it right. If you do one be sure to post some pictures!
post #5 of 9 Old 11-11-2013, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

I've always wondered about those kits, they look interesting. Unfortunately it won't work in this application.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-12-2013, 07:23 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheperd80 View Post
Hey folks, I'm building a secret door for a client and having trouble finding the proper hinges. Ive done secret doors before but this one is different.

The door is going to replace a raised panel in a wall that has to match other adjacent raised panel walls. I need the panel moulding to conceal the door gap all the way around. To make this work I need something similar to a Blum or Grass concealed overlay hinge so that the panel moulding on the hinge side moves away from the wall as it opens.

The problem is those hinges are for cabinets, but this panel is 62" tall and 50" wide, and will weigh approx 50 lbs. Anyone know of a hinge that is both concealed and overlay that can handle more than just a cabinet door?

As a last resort I can probably just use a bunch of cabinet hinges but this is a high end house and that's pretty hokey. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
i understand your concern. the blums are often used on kitchen pantry doors, easily that weight when loaded. i've used five before on larger doors. nice thing is that they are adjustable when needed.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-12-2013, 07:27 AM

View captainawesome's Photo Album My Photos
Check out the barrel SOSS hinges. They make work for your application and you can put in as many as needed.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-12-2013, 08:00 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

You didn't say or describe the orientation or thickness of the panel. Or, how much overlay the moulding will lay on the panel next to it on the hinge side.

If the panel itself is ", and is in the same plane as the panel next to it, and the moulding is applied to the surface, and overlays the panel next to it, you may need a thick door hinge. These will carry more weight, and start moving away from the panel next to it sooner than an ordinary overlay hinge.

post #9 of 9 Old 11-12-2013, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post

You didn't say or describe the orientation or thickness of the panel. Or, how much overlay the moulding will lay on the panel next to it on the hinge side.

If the panel itself is ", and is in the same plane as the panel next to it, and the moulding is applied to the surface, and overlays the panel next to it, you may need a thick door hinge. These will carry more weight, and start moving away from the panel next to it sooner than an ordinary overlay hinge.

Went to my cabinet supplier this morning and that's exactly what I got! And yes the panel is just as u described except its 1-1/2" thick. I'm hoping this thickness doesn't effect the way it swings too much. Thanks for the tips everyone ill post some pics soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode