Sanding drywall - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 03-27-2015, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

View was2ndlast's Photo Album My Photos
Sanding drywall

I'm going to be doing this to a wall in my bedroom. Question I have is that locally I can't get good thin sheet goods to put on the whole wall as backing in order to smooth it out (I have drywall). I can get hardboard I guess which is 1/4 inch but the 1/4 plywood at HD is abysmal. I want to have the whole wall look smooth like trim.

Is there an easyish effective way to sand painted drywall?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-27-2015, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Sorry...here is the pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1427492183167.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	144170  

post #3 of 15 Old 03-27-2015, 06:19 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
With a wall like that just prime and sand the primer until you get the surface to your liking and then topcoat. I would recommend spraying both the primer and topcoat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
rabies (04-06-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 03-27-2015, 07:20 PM

View bauerbach's Photo Album My Photos
1/4" MDF would give you the smooth base your looking for. Or paint and sand till its smooth... I suspect that might take a while...
post #5 of 15 Old 03-27-2015, 07:46 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
which is the surface you are referring to?

You would start with a large wall surface, prime sand and then paint. Then add your hardboard or MFD strips to get the panel look. Prepaint and sand them as well before installation. Cut the horizontals all the same lengths, after calculating the spacing and work from right to left as you go across. Then you'll only have to "fit" that is cut precisely to length, the last ones in. Do a dry fit on the floor or with painters tape to make certain the spacing works!

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
was2ndlast (03-28-2015)
post #6 of 15 Old 03-27-2015, 08:21 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
You can prime drywall with hi-build primer and sand it afterward to get it pretty smooth. There's something about it though; no how smooth you get it, it will still look like drywall for some reason.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-27-2015, 10:18 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Was2nd
I like the look you plan to put on your wall.
If you plan to paint the paneling, you could use MDF or Masonite for a smooth paintable surface. Available in 1/8" and 1/4" thickness, 4X 8 sheets.
This could go directly over your drywall and no sanding would be required on the drywall which is a very dusty job you want to avoid.
post #8 of 15 Old 03-28-2015, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
With a wall like that just prime and sand the primer until you get the surface to your liking and then topcoat. I would recommend spraying both the primer and topcoat.
Want to as well but It's in my bedroom and spraying latex with an airless I imagine would create a mushroom cloud of paint. I have sprayed latex with my hvlp before but I had to thin it so much the sheen was lost.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-28-2015, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep View Post
You can prime drywall with hi-build primer and sand it afterward to get it pretty smooth. There's something about it though; no how smooth you get it, it will still look like drywall for some reason.
I have found that as well. Looks better but still bumpy.
post #10 of 15 Old 03-28-2015, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
Was2nd
I like the look you plan to put on your wall.
If you plan to paint the paneling, you could use MDF or Masonite for a smooth paintable surface. Available in 1/8" and 1/4" thickness, 4X 8 sheets.
This could go directly over your drywall and no sanding would be required on the drywall which is a very dusty job you want to avoid.
I can only find hardboard in 1/4 thickness. Not sure it behaves the same as MDF?
post #11 of 15 Old 03-28-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by was2ndlast View Post
Want to as well but It's in my bedroom and spraying latex with an airless I imagine would create a mushroom cloud of paint. I have sprayed latex with my hvlp before but I had to thin it so much the sheen was lost.
No, you can't hardly spray latex with a cup gun. You have to either use an airless or a conventional gun rigged up with a pressure pot. There shouldn't be much of a cloud with an airless. Usually if you close off the room and cover the floor and furniture with drop cloths you don't have much of a problem with overspray. Last month I finished a kitchen for someone with latex paint and I just covered the floor in the immediate area. The rest of the house was empty of furniture so all that was exposed was the floor. If left a fine layer of dust on the floor but nothing stuck. I did open the house up and put an exhaust fan in the door to draw as much outside as I could.
post #12 of 15 Old 03-28-2015, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

If I use latex on MDF I have to use an oil based primer sealer?
post #13 of 15 Old 03-28-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
It would probably go on a little smoother however there is no reason you can't use a water based primer. It's not so much water it will cause the MDF to swell up. Regardless of the primer you use I would recommend sanding the face of the MDF before priming. The surface of the sheets has a high level of formaldehyde and it sometimes has a adverse reaction with finishes. Some brands are worse than others. I've just got in the habit of sanding all MDF. I've seen lacquer take days to dry on that stuff instead of minutes.
post #14 of 15 Old 04-08-2015, 07:25 PM

View CNYWOODS's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by was2ndlast
Bin shellac primer. Drys quick, sands like chalk. I usually have it tinted.
post #15 of 15 Old 04-09-2015, 03:48 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Bedroom wall treatment.

Quote:
No, it's not necessary to use oil primer or oil paint. It's a matter of preference. Since this is not a kitchen or a bath, I would use latex.
Someone else suggested you spray it. You said you were concerned about spraying in your bedroom. Consider laying the large panels flat across two sawhorses outside and spray each panel outdoors. Latex drys very quickly.
You can install the painted pieces and you will only need to touch-up with a paint brush. You could even use different types of paint. Like flat on the panels and semi-gloss on all the molding-trim pieces. It will look sharp.
Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode