Router bits needed - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By firehawkmph

post #1 of 9 Old 01-08-2019, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

View baileymwmw's Photo Album My Photos
Router bits needed

I'm making kitchen cabinets with shaker style inset doors and drawers.* I've been buying router bits as I go.* I don't want to buy a set since I doubt I will ever use 75% of the bits in most sets I've seen.* So, I'm looking to get a recommended list of bits for my project.* Also, router bit brand recommendation though I've seen that Whiteside gets pretty high marks on this and other sites.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-08-2019, 09:17 AM

View JIMMIEM's Photo Album My Photos
Several premium router bit brands. Check out Infinity bits.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-08-2019, 09:44 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
If you're making shaker style cabinets, you can do it a lot easier and quicker with a good dado set on a tablesaw. As far as router bits go, Freud, Whiteside, anything non-chinese is good.
Mike Hawkins
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8453.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	370247  

Name:	IMG_8475.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	370249  

Name:	IMG_8460.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	370251  

gmercer_48083 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-08-2019, 10:54 AM

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
I've had good luck with Yonico bits, what few I've ordered. any time I need a new one, it's my first stop.
https://www.yonicotools.com/

I order them from Precision Bits, and have had excellent service from them.
http://www.precisionbits.com/

Alexis de Tocqueville was a very smart man.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-09-2019, 07:38 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
I've purchased several bits from Eagle America. They have a big selection and quality seems good.

https://www.eagleamerica.com/prod_de...SAAEgKITPD_BwE

Last edited by Quickstep; 01-09-2019 at 07:51 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-09-2019, 10:50 PM

View sancho57's Photo Album My Photos
If I plan on using the bit for various projects Id buy a nice set like Infinity. If Its just for one set of kitchen cabinets then I would consider woodside. aAthey are cheap but good bits and they can be sharpened .
post #7 of 9 Old 01-10-2019, 04:50 AM

View Mikhail2400's Photo Album My Photos
Ive pretty much stayed away from the high end bits mostly because I cant justify the expense. Ive had good luck with Yonico and I really like the Infinity bits to. I recently bought a 3 bit cabinet door set of the Yonico bits off of Amazon and they cut great. Good luck!

Mike
Everything i build comes with a redneck warranty. If it breaks you get to keep both pieces.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-11-2019, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

View baileymwmw's Photo Album My Photos
Sorry, I was unclear with my question. I was looking for a list of actually bits that are typically needed for this type of project. Like a spiral for edging and slots, 3/4 inch xyz bit for dado (if I don't get a dado set for my saw), dovetail bit, etc. Any specifics on features of the bits would be great too. For example, should the spiral be up-cut, down-cut, 2 flute, 3 flute, etc. Thanks for all of the info so far.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-11-2019, 11:07 AM

View Mikhail2400's Photo Album My Photos
Spiral up cut; On a router table will pull the wood down to the table. Will leave a very fine wood fuzz along the top edges of the cut while the bottom will be very clean.
Spiral down cut; Exactly opposite the upcut.
Heres a link to a great page describing both bits and when to use each. https://www.axyz.com/us/2018/02/15/u...c-router-bits/
They make bits for darn near everything. I recently bought a 3 bit set thats for making raised face cabinet doors.
[IMG][/IMG]
You can find sets like the one above all over the web from Amazon to Zebs hometown handmade router bits. As far as a list of what you should have it will depend on alot of things. I mostly just buy bits as I need them and alot of the others do the same.
You all ready know a few of the bits your going to need so start with them. If your going to be working with 3/4" material then make sure the bits you buy are capable of cutting that size. Check out Infinity tools also. they have some great bits and they also have some good info on there as well.

Mike
Everything i build comes with a redneck warranty. If it breaks you get to keep both pieces.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode