Roman Ogee selection - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By FrankC

post #1 of 8 Old 09-16-2017, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

View Mahoganychip's Photo Album My Photos
Roman Ogee selection

Greetings,

I want to order a 1/4" shank (or 1/2" if its better) Roman Ogee bit for some 3/4" maple to be used for trim work. My guess is that this question is a no brainer so yes, I'm a novice in woodworking who has not acquired a collection of router bits yet. But there are so many specific types out there for a roman ogee I didn't know where to start and the last thing I want to do is take my best guess only to find I need to send it back. About all I know is that I want to replicate something that has a roman ogee feature with 1/4" convex and concave rounds positioned evenly with the 3/4" stock.

Thanks,

MahoganyChip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-16-2017, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Or perhaps there is a reference chart I missed somewhere that lays out all the nomenclature and dimensions I seek to order what I'm looking for?...

Maker of very expensive wood shavings
post #3 of 8 Old 09-16-2017, 01:52 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Is this something like you were looking for"

http://www.grizzly.com/products/3-4-...ce=grizzly.com

You might also look up MLCS they sell a lot of router bits

https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-17-2017, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Catpower. With so many variations on these bits I was confused with which bearing sizes, 5/32 vs 7/32 radius, and 1-3/8 vs 1-1/2 diameters etc...

Kind regards,

Mahogany Chip

Maker of very expensive wood shavings
post #5 of 8 Old 09-17-2017, 10:44 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
This meets your requirements

It's got the 1/4" raduis and works for 3/4" thick stock:

https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/cgi-...3&redirect=yes

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 8 Old 09-22-2017, 09:46 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
not sure what your budget or need is. whiteside makes a high quality cutter, but freud now has a 4 wing roman ogee cutter that gives a much cleaner cut and reduced burn risk on hardwoods.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-22-2017, 11:41 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
I use the 4 wing Freud Roman Ogee that Tim mentioned and I use it a lot. It cuts very clean and smooth. The one I got is the 1/2" shank (most of mine are 1/2" because I feel they are less prone to vibration issues, especially with a large cutterhead like this bit).

David

PS - when I click on the link I provided it pulls up the Canadian Amazon but I can see the URL and it is just like I copied it, from the US Amazon - not sure why that happens but you can just replace the .ca with .com at the end of Amazon and it will pull up the US site.

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #8 of 8 Old 10-19-2017, 05:37 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
I use the 4 wing Freud Roman Ogee that Tim mentioned and I use it a lot. It cuts very clean and smooth. The one I got is the 1/2" shank (most of mine are 1/2" because I feel they are less prone to vibration issues, especially with a large cutterhead like this bit).

David

PS - when I click on the link I provided it pulls up the Canadian Amazon but I can see the URL and it is just like I copied it, from the US Amazon - not sure why that happens but you can just replace the .ca with .com at the end of Amazon and it will pull up the US site.
And you will feel much better when you see the US price. 😄
difalkner likes this.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode