rework of built in kitchen cabinets - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 06-12-2019, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

View joea's Photo Album My Photos
rework of built in kitchen cabinets

I have never attempted this before, so need some guidance.

My own kitchen has built in cabinets done by previous owner or his contractor. Built of some type of 3/4 inch veneered plywood, 5 ply + veneer. I would like to determine the species, if possible (or if it matters).

The deal is I want to apply some veneer to the end of a modified wall hung cabinet that has some exposed end cuts/framing. I was going to apply some trim pieces to cover the seams, as an "artistic expression", but had this brainstorm that veneer could be used instead, making it look like I actually knew what I was doing and not a total hack job. It only look me two days after applying edge veneer to the shelf pieces and inside edges of the face frame for it to dawn on me. No, sadly, more coffee is probably not the solution to that part.

Since I am going to stain it to match (always a challenge anyway) does it really matter that much? As long as it is close in grain and natural tone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-12-2019, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

And, I guess, what would be a good source for wide veneer? I see Rockler has some 24x32 as does HD a bit thinner but 3x as much for not much more. But the HD product seems to have a lot of "gotchas" in the install instructions.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-12-2019, 12:46 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If you are going to use veneer I would recommend using a phenolic veneer. It is a real wood veneer that instead of a paper backing it is formica backing. It's more stable and more easily worked with contact cement. If for some reason the wood on the cabinet would shrink a paper backed veneer would bubble up because the cement isn't strong enough to hold it. The phenolic veneer is rigid enough in itself to resist the wood movement problems. The kitchen section of the box stores will order laminate in rolls for you and will be able to supply the phenolic veneer as well.

If you have very many cabinets to do it would make it easier to purchase an underscribe router. It's a router especially made to seam laminate on cabinet faces. You cut the laminate a little long and apply it to the cabinet overlapping the joint. Then use the router to trim the laminate to fit perfectly.

The veneer would come in at least 4x8 sheets. I can't remember but I think it comes in 4x10 as well.

Last edited by Steve Neul; 06-12-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-12-2019, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
If you are going to use veneer I would recommend using a phenolic veneer. . . .

The two I am looking, Rockler and HD claim to use "real wood" backing. Or at least are "2-ply" of real wood.

[QUOTE
If you have very many cabinets to do it would make it easier to purchase an underscribe router. It's a router especially made to seam laminate on cabinet faces. You cut the laminate a little long and apply it to the cabinet overlapping the joint. Then use the router to trim the laminate to fit perfectly.

The veneer would come in at least 4x8 sheets. I can't remember but I think it comes in 4x10 as well[/QUOTE.

I only have the one right now. If I had not already cobbled up the face frame I would just get some thin luan or whatever sanded stuff is available and use that. However, in the end, it might be cheaper and more durable to do that and simply make a new frame.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-12-2019, 05:58 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by joea View Post
The two I am looking, Rockler and HD claim to use "real wood" backing. Or at least are "2-ply" of real wood.

[QUOTE

The veneer would come in at least 4x8 sheets. I can't remember but I think it comes in 4x10 as well[/QUOTE.

I only have the one right now. If I had not already cobbled up the face frame I would just get some thin luan or whatever sanded stuff is available and use that. However, in the end, it might be cheaper and more durable to do that and simply make a new frame.
The problem you will have is gluing real wood veneer to the cabinet. You would have to strip the finish off and sand it. Then rig up some means of clamping the veneer. It's difficult enough to do veneer work when it's just a flat panel that is loose where you can get sufficient pressure. We had someone this week talk about when they veneered a part they jacked up their car and slid the part under a tire to achieve pressure. Any little bubble will stay a bubble. You will have to get all of the air out from under the veneer and you only have one shot at it. You also need to use hide glue or a resin glue to stick the veneer. Wood glue will dry around the parameter and stay wet in the middle for a very long time. Contact cement on wood veneer will come back and haunt you. It works alright if you stick it to particleboard or mdf but solid wood or plywood moves and the contact cement won't hold.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode