Replacing hinges - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 07-28-2014, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1
View Canadianmom's Photo Album My Photos
Replacing hinges

Does anyone know what kind of hinges these are? I'd like to replace them when I paint the cabinets as they've been painted and are pretty rough looking. I've tried looking online bit these older hinges have been hard to find. Any ideas on where to buy them online? I don't think I'll have much luck locally, or at least I haven't yet. Thanks! Name:  image.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  53.6 KB
Canadianmom is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 Old 07-28-2014, 05:54 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,932
View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
They are known as pivot hinges. Amerock is a well known manufacturer and their products are carried by many suppliers.
Hammer1 is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 07-28-2014, 07:27 PM
Old School
cabinetman's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: So. Florida
Posts: 24,027
View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

We have an introduction section where you can say a few words about yourself. If you fill out your profile in your "User Control Panel", you can list any hobbies, experience, occupation, or if retired…from what, or other facts. You can also list your general geographical location which would be a help in answering some questions. In doing that your location will show under your username when you post.

This one looks like a close replacement.


Last edited by cabinetman; 07-28-2014 at 09:03 PM.
cabinetman is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #4 of 6 Old 07-31-2014, 10:55 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,995
View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Some brands those are also refered to as knife hinges.
Steve Neul is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 07-31-2014, 11:08 PM
Uncle Fester
unclefester's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 1,555
View unclefester's Photo Album My Photos
I haven't seen pivot hinges used on cabinets for years.

If the doors have not been rabbited to accept the pivot hinge, a suggestion may be to replace with concealed 35mm cup or European hinges. They can be adjusted in all directions to keep the doors aligned.
Blum, Grass are a few good brands.

Cut it twice, measure once and it's still too short.
unclefester is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 08-03-2014, 10:28 AM
Junior Member
sunbear52's Avatar
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Beaufort,NC
Posts: 5
View sunbear52's Photo Album My Photos
Also sometimes called scissor hinges, might be found at, Amerock, etc, or you could clean them and reuse.
sunbear52 is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
where to get short (~8") piano hinges / continuous hinges icrusbound General Woodworking Discussion 10 11-06-2014 09:09 AM
Replacing T&G Boards shadowjfaith General Woodworking Discussion 25 07-07-2014 02:33 PM
Replacing T&G OSB subfloor panels? I.M.O.G. General Woodworking Discussion 26 08-04-2013 08:24 PM
Replacing a wall. klrb70 Joinery 7 02-16-2011 12:39 PM
replacing arbor on a craftsman saw don murtha Power Tools & Machinery 0 11-09-2009 07:03 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome