Replacement Windows trim - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 02-21-2016, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

View Curly54's Photo Album My Photos
Replacement Windows trim

Good Morning All.
I am not a carpenter but have replaced hundreds of windows, build two homes and have hung hundreds of cabinets. But I have a question for the more knowledgeable here.
A friend who I do work for in his rentals has a daughter who they just gave a house to, only thing is it was built in 1960 and never upgraded. So she got a loan and was doing some upgrades and a few contractors from a big box store have disappeared and I said I would help.
I always replaced windows with new type with the flange because the siding always allowed it, the windows are there and are box type, just slide in and screw square.
I am a perfectionist so I am here. The siding is pine dutch lap and the existing windows are aluminum jalousie just screwed to the outside then caulked around.
I will have to remove the mess I know, the windows were measured to go into the existing trim on the inside so I will have to build trim on the outside. I assume I will flush the outside of the window to the existing outside of the interior trim. Sort of how it is now. OK.
Question. What kind of wood should I use to make an exterior sill and trim? The exterior now pine and is painted all white.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-21-2016, 03:24 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Curly,
Up here in NE Ohio, pine doesn't hold up well outdoors. If you want to use real wood, I would look for either cedar, redwood, or maybe cypress. All are rot resistant. You could also use one of the plastic trims like Azek. It's pricier but doesn't rot and doesn't have to be painted.
Mike Hawkins:smile3:
post #3 of 4 Old 02-21-2016, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

View Curly54's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Curly,
Up here in NE Ohio, pine doesn't hold up well outdoors. If you want to use real wood, I would look for either cedar, redwood, or maybe cypress. All are rot resistant. You could also use one of the plastic trims like Azek. It's pricier but doesn't rot and doesn't have to be painted.
Mike Hawkins:smile3:
Thank you for the quick reply.
The only thing I would say about the weather here in WNC is the home is on the side of a mountain at 2600ft. We do get a fair amount of ice storms here, more than snow anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-29-2016, 02:45 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
you can use pine, then cap it with aluminum. sealing all of the edges and ends. something called brickmold is used around here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode