Recommendations for saw to cut....... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 18 Old 11-12-2010, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

View yocalif's Photo Album My Photos
Recommendations for saw to cut.......

I have to install a over the range microwave. Currently there is a Range Hood above the range, and the wall behind the range, has been finished with a fake brick put in place with grout or mortar, this is mounted on drywall. We have cabinets over the range hood and on the sides that come down. I have to cut the fake brick mortor between the cabinets, I can't mess up and crack the fake brick because it comes off in chunks, I did a test and that is what happens. So the cut needs to go down to the dry wall (about 1/2"), be very straight and clean. I will have to contend with the cabinets on the side as whatever cut tool' blade come close to the cabinet. The cut line will be on the grout/mortar, so its like cutting cement.

What tool would you use to make this cut?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-12-2010, 09:27 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by yocalif View Post
I have to install a over the range microwave. Currently there is a Range Hood above the range, and the wall behind the range, has been finished with a fake brick put in place with grout or mortar, this is mounted on drywall. We have cabinets over the range hood and on the sides that come down. I have to cut the fake brick mortor between the cabinets, I can't mess up and crack the fake brick because it comes off in chunks, I did a test and that is what happens. So the cut needs to go down to the dry wall (about 1/2"), be very straight and clean. I will have to contend with the cabinets on the side as whatever cut tool' blade come close to the cabinet. The cut line will be on the grout/mortar, so its like cutting cement.

What tool would you use to make this cut?

I would use one of the multi-function tools. I bought the HF model as a lark. It does what I want. There is a masonry and a diamond edged attachment for it that will cut right next to the cabinets and will cut through the brick. The last flier I got it was on sale for $29.99.

Yep, that's what I would use.

post #3 of 18 Old 11-12-2010, 09:43 PM

View kreuzie's Photo Album My Photos
Is there a reason you have to cut the brick? Can you shim out where the range hood was and install the microwave against the brick?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 11-13-2010, 12:10 AM

View jack warner's Photo Album My Photos
i agree with kreuzie, why make it hard on yourself. most micro waves stick out from the cabs anyways. you want to make sure you have proper clearence from stove top to bottom of micro wave, cant think of it of hand but its in your install papers. most of time your gonna need to trim off of the cabs above the preasant hood.
post #5 of 18 Old 11-13-2010, 07:25 AM

View burkhome's Photo Album My Photos
If you decide to cut it an option would be a 4" grinder with a diamond blade.

Roger from the Great Horicon Swamp
post #6 of 18 Old 11-13-2010, 09:44 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
If I was on a job and ran into this, I think I would take and cut on the morter joint below where the microwave was going to sit and take out the drywall with the bricks on it. Patch a piece of drywall back in and pop off some of the bricks, or get new ones if available, and cut them on a tile saw and cement them back in. New grout would cover the drywall joint. Mount the microwave unit first before patching the bricks back in. Not a big deal.
Mike Hawkins
post #7 of 18 Old 11-13-2010, 10:37 AM

View Fishbucket's Photo Album My Photos
4" grinder with a diamond blade to cut the bottom, where the micro will sit. bust out/off the brick on top.

the grout on the sides of the cabs will just fall out.

I cut it 3 times..... and it's still too short.

Dont go ninja'ing anybody that dont need no ninja'ing...
post #8 of 18 Old 11-13-2010, 08:52 PM
MGB

View MGB's Photo Album My Photos
I don't see a much better alternative than a angle grinder and diamond wheel.

Personally I would cut the cabinets to fit/mount the microwave over the brick.

Wood is alot easier to cut than brick.
post #9 of 18 Old 11-13-2010, 09:47 PM

View crosley623's Photo Album My Photos
An angle grinder would work fine, but is really hard to get into tight positions, especially flush with the existing cabinets. I go ahead and second the recommendation for the Fein knockoff. If you tape off the cabinets 3-4 inches off the brick it will help marring the cabinet finish.
post #10 of 18 Old 11-13-2010, 10:09 PM

View ash123's Photo Album My Photos
I'd remove the cabinets and make the cuts with a straight edge and a masonry blade in a circle saw. I'd rather have a nice job than save myself a little work.

Click on the link to see a picture of the Sioux River falls near my home.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...g?t=1278182564
Eastern South Dakota is very pretty with hills, rivers, and trees.
post #11 of 18 Old 11-13-2010, 11:56 PM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
I would use one of the multi-function tools. I bought the HF model as a lark. It does what I want. There is a masonry and a diamond edged attachment for it that will cut right next to the cabinets and will cut through the brick. The last flier I got it was on sale for $29.99.

I agree with Cabinetman on this one. While the other idea's will all work, using the multi-tool with the mason blade will not fill the room with brick dust. I use one of these tools weekly and the best part of the tool is the fact it doesn't make much air born dust.

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure
post #12 of 18 Old 11-14-2010, 01:26 AM

View sketel's Photo Album My Photos
Just one more thing to think about, which you may already have considered is that the multitool is the option that will make it easier on you when it comes to cutting nice sharp corners easily. Cutting that last 1/8" with a grinder or a saw is always a pain and if you accidentally don't get it right you can get cracks in all the wrong places.
post #13 of 18 Old 11-14-2010, 09:35 PM
Imagisigner

View Wood Dave's Photo Album My Photos
Yep I'm going for the multi function tool from HF. My $30.00 model has done real good for me so far so I'd go with it. A grinder is going to make a lot of dust. Not so with the mulfunc

HAPPY INSTALATION
post #14 of 18 Old 11-14-2010, 09:58 PM

View JMC'sLT30's Photo Album My Photos
My best advie to you is "DON'T DO IT" it will be nothing but trouble for you. Microwaves over a range are BAD news Not much help but could'nt resist.
post #15 of 18 Old 11-14-2010, 10:00 PM

View JMC'sLT30's Photo Album My Photos
The multi-tool is most likely the tool for the job though. Good luck.
post #16 of 18 Old 11-30-2010, 03:08 PM
No Longer Here

View MastersHand's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman

How does that compare to the Fein multi master I went to link you included looks very similar. Wow I could have bought twenty of them for the price of the fein
post #17 of 18 Old 12-08-2010, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

View yocalif's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for all the advice, the project was on hold and about to get started.

I borrowed a multi tool from my B.I. but he doesn't have a the right blade so I am checking for blade cost now, if the cost is high then I will buy my own multi-tool it just seems like a good tool to have. I also borrowed his grinder.

I can't leave the brick material on the wall, the MW already is sticking out too far (if installed) and the rough finish on the bottom edge would look terrible. You should see how the electric outlets look, awful!

If the material doesn't come off clean, and I am almost 75% sure there may be patches that when tearing away from the drywall will take huge chunks of drywall, thus possibly forcing me to cut out the entire section and patch with new drywall.
post #18 of 18 Old 12-08-2010, 09:48 PM
woodbutcherer

View jstange2's Photo Album My Photos
Just remember however you do it, there is the plate you mount to the wall that the bottom/back of the microwave has to be set in with the front of the MW lower to get it in. If you cut the brick facing first, you may have to go lower to keep the MW in the groove. I'm not going to try to tell you how you should do it, others have given you the only ideas I can think of. Just bringing this to your attention.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode