RapidFit Molding - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 06-04-2015, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

View pd417's Photo Album My Photos
RapidFit Molding

I will be installing new baseboard molding soon, but when I removed a portion of the old baseboard and quarter round, I saw that the genius installers just butted the hardwood floor against the baseboard. If I remove the entire two pieces I'll have a gap of almost 1". I thought about cutting strips of flooring to fill in the gaps, but I'll need to cut 200 ft of strips (and not all are parallel to the wall, some are perpendicular).

I saw a Lowe's carries a product called RapidFit, which is MDF molding that installs over existing molding. I would use their model# R805. All I would have to do is remove the quarter round. Here is a link:

http://www.rapidfitmoulding.com/products/all

Has anyone used this product and if so, thoughts? How thick is the portion of the RapidFit baseboard that covers the existing molding? Their site says 7/8" and I'm assuming this is the portion that covers.

Other than my two ideas above, does anyone have any others?
The Following User Says Thank You to pd417 For This Useful Post:
Chrisayrescarpentry (08-29-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-04-2015, 08:34 PM

View Chamfer's Photo Album My Photos
What about just putting new base and shoe around? Is there any gap with the current trim?

I am not familiar with the Rapid Fit mouldings, and really dont see the point. Most trim in a house is relatively easy to replace altogether.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-04-2015, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamfer View Post
What about just putting new base and shoe around? Is there any gap with the current trim?

I am not familiar with the Rapid Fit mouldings, and really dont see the point. Most trim in a house is relatively easy to replace altogether.
I'm really not a fan of quarter round moulding, to me it looks tacky. The standard moulding I was going to use is 5/8" thick and the gap from wall to flooring edge is about 7/8", leaving a 1/8" space. That's why this RapidFit seemed like the best solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-05-2015, 05:32 PM

View Chamfer's Photo Album My Photos
Even if you cover the gap from the wall to the flooring with just base you will most likely still have gaps between the base and the floor. This is because most floors aren't perfectly level. The RF molding will do nothing to hide those gaps.

Thats where shoe comes in. And shoe molding is different than quarter round. Generally not as gaudy looking.

Last edited by Chamfer; 06-05-2015 at 05:35 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-17-2015, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Moulding Project Problem

As I mentioned in my original post at the top of this thread, I have started installing 4" baseboard on our first floor. I ran into a problem that I can't seen to figure out. I'm cutting the moulding laying flat on the saw (DeWalt DW717) and setting the angle on the saw (e.g. 45 degrees) and the table at zero degrees. I made my first cuts and saw that it was not a straight cut but rather off by about 10 degrees vertical. I adjusted the table 10 degrees so the cut would be straight.

This is my first moulding project, so I may be a little nave, but having to adjust the table +/- 10 degrees doesn't seem quite right, zero degrees should give me a nice straight cut, but it doesn't.

Am I doing something wrong or missing something?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode